Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2023, 16:43   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
How to remove mirror in owners Head without damaging the gelcoat

Hi fellow sailors,
What’s the best way to remove the mirror in the owners head without damaging the gelcoat? Assume they all mounted the same way in the older style FP by glueing to the rear wall but no idea how much glue, where and with what glue.
Cutting wire is not an option as it’s too tight and possibility of damaging the gelcoat is high
Smash it in pieces?
Mirror coat is gone in a lot places, looks super ugly and it’s definitely time to replace it.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 16:51   #2

Re: How to remove mirror in owners Head without damaging the gelcoat

I'd smash it, and then deal with what's left with a scraper, or whatever. If it's going to be replaced, wouldn't the new mirror cover any possible gelcoat issue?

Alternatively, you could have a new mirror cut to the same size as the existing mirror, and glue over the top of the old one.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:07   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
I'd smash it, and then deal with what's left with a scraper, or whatever. If it's going to be replaced, wouldn't the new mirror cover any possible gelcoat issue?

Alternatively, you could have a new mirror cut to the same size as the existing mirror, and glue over the top of the old one.
I wanna make it a bit smaller, especially shorter as I install a different top mounted sink.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:46   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Oh my. I read that as a mirror stuck in the boat owners head. A surgeon might be needed!

But seriously you just might be in for either a gel coat repair or a nice frame for the new mirror. Size the frame to hide the damaged gel coat.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat, head