Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 18:43   #1

Hydrogenerator & Eco Cruising Monitor

Have anyone else had these items installed on their new Helias. If so how has the performance been. Looking for feedback to assess our installs performance to see if what we are getting is the experience of others?
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:26   #2

Boat: 2014 Helia 44
Re: Hydrogenerator & Eco Cruising Monitor

And would someone who has the Eco Cruising Monitor please identify the make and model? I can't seem to find out anything about it, and trying to decide whether to add it to my Helia.
mndreamchaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 17:49   #3

The startup screen shows ETA Engineering. Thats all. Its a specific FP product. Great idea but ours is not functioning as it should. Am awaiting reply from FP on possible fix!
Old 05-07-2013, 18:43   #4

Boat: TBA

Look up the Watt and Sea web site they are the brand, i think the wind down mech is probably designed by FP or someone else though as they don't have this system on there site.

These systems appear to be a lot of money for what you get and the monitor appears to be a nice colour screen with very little technology behind it, Probably what i am saying is the system is very expensive better systems are on the market for less money.

They apparently cause a lot of drag and give very little power in the process, just what i have read and from what some of the actual users have revealed.

Fp should adopt the Yanmar Hydrogenerator saildrive system it appears to work.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:13   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

This Diesel / Electric Hybrid seems to make more sense than using a Hydro generator

Cat Hybrids - Hybrid Electric Marine Propulsion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail Drive Parallel - Serial Hybrid system.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	63989  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sail Drive Parallel - Serial Hybrid system.pdf (372.5 KB, 168 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 17:11   #6

As I started this thread I thought I should update. Re: the ECO Cruising Monitor supplied by FP, we have removed ours and installed an alternative. As we already had the tank level monitors we installed the Blues Seas VSM.

The Hydrogenerator, we suggested to FP that it be removed from under the bridge deck as their install is not effective. After much discussion with boatowners doing the Oyster Round the World Rally that have this unit installed on their stern, generally their was a positive response to the power generation capability of the unit, but that the mount needed to be significantly beefed up to handle the unit. One critical aspect was the units ability to swing laterally like a rudder to handle those cross seas. The FP install does not allow for that, nore does it provide sufficient force to hold the unit vertical in the water.

On monohulls the unit is protected whilst in the water on the stern by being just offset from the rudder/keel line. On the Helia it is exposed to Ocean debris between the hulls. So overall in hindsight I believe the unit is worthwhile but we would now prefer that it be installed on the stern also. FP have not agreed to this so we will have to wait to see how it all pans out after its recent repairs by the dealer. Our dealer has been magic, contrary to many of the experiences of others! As we move onto the boat full time at the end of this month I will be able to provide much better info on the performance of the Hydrogenerator. Hope everyone had a good new Year.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:30   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

For what it's worth, our dealer has told us that the Eco Cruising Monitor is simply a touch screen monitor with a linux based GUI (graphical user interface for those not technically inclined) developed by either FP or a contractor on their behalf (can't remember which). We decided it wasn't worth the potential trouble that others have experienced and will be tying those sensors in to either an alternative or one of our other systems.

Nasa - just curious, which alternative did you end up going with?
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 13:41   #8

The ECO Cruising monitor is very problematic and l would no waste your money on this expensive sub standard unit when cheaper units provide more info, are more reliable, and easier to install. We removed the ECM and put in a Blue Seas VSM 1800. The only info not provided on this unit is time to charge/discharge. Apart from that it's great.

Now my ideal configuration would be analogue tank gauges coupled with any one of the good BM, xantrex, Victron, blue Seas......etc. hindsight is a wonderful thing, but hopefully you manage to avoid our mistakes.
Old 11-01-2014, 15:04   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

The insights and opinions of those who already have their boats is the main reason why I think CF is such a great forum. I look forward to the day when I will be able to contribute, but in the meantime, please keep sharing!
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 06:13   #10

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44

To my knowledge FP is replacing the Eco Cruising Monitor on the 2014-models:
"Ecocruising options
New Ecocruising display Navylec"

Can anyone confirm this or give some first impression reports?
SYPolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 22:38   #11

Does anyone know if FP did in fact replace the Eco Cruising Monitor on the 2014 Helia? I'm looking at options and trying to decide if that's worth three thousand dollars.
jaycroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 23:11   #12

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Rather than an expensive hydrogenerator I reckon you would be much better off with reliability and cost with a good frame and plenty of solar mounted off the aft end of the cockpit roof. Check what some of the Lagoon owners have done in the solar threads.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 23:21   #13

I agree about the hydrogenerator. I was wondering if Fountaine Pajot updated their Eco Cruising Monitor in 2014 as one of the posters had suggested.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:05   #14

Boat: Hélia 44 #92 (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycroz View Post
I agree about the hydrogenerator. I was wondering if Fountaine Pajot updated their Eco Cruising Monitor in 2014 as one of the posters had suggested.
Yes, they did. I visited the factory last November and the boats were already equipped with the new version. But I still don't know if they are better than the old ones, or at least more reliable.
CatBrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 00:12   #15

Can anyone with a 2014 eco cruising monitor comment about its reliability and usefulness? I'm still trying to decide how much it's worth to me. I'm not really clear on everything it does.
Thanks

Tags
cruising, monitor