Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 06:55   #166

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: In General

rh81,

That generation of FP cats like the Orana 44 had foam core. Which made the boat lighter and nimble. The noise on the Orana 44 was caused by the cabinet woodwork end grain rubbing up against gel-coat. Just a tiny movement makes a squeak. We had a few on our FP Mahe 36 when first had it. We just went to the squeaky area and made a small gap between the woodwork and gel-coat and the squeak was gone forever.

FP now uses Balsa Core in their hulls and Foam Core in the decks which makes a stiffer boat and you do not hear any squeaking.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:17   #167

Boat: None

Cotemar, thanks for that info.
rh81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 23:31   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
rh81,

That generation of FP cats like the Orana 44 had foam core. Which made the boat lighter and nimble. The noise on the Orana 44 was caused by the cabinet woodwork end grain rubbing up against gel-coat. Just a tiny movement makes a squeak. We had a few on our FP Mahe 36 when first had it. We just went to the squeaky area and made a small gap between the woodwork and gel-coat and the squeak was gone forever.

FP now uses Balsa Core in their hulls and Foam Core in the decks which makes a stiffer boat and you do not hear any squeaking.
Cotemar
Thanks for that advice. Do you know which FP models and years are balsa cored in their hulls. I thought all FPs were still foam sandwich especially below the water line.
AussieWayne
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 04:50   #169

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWayne View Post
Cotemar
Thanks for that advice. Do you know which FP models and years are balsa cored in their hulls. I thought all FPs were still foam sandwich especially below the water line.
AussieWayne
Not Cotemar.......but....

AFAIK, all FP boats before the Helia were foam core hull/deck and solid glass below the waterline (my Belize is this). The Helia was the first model to use balsa core. Cotemar stated foam core deck, I didn't know that, I thought is was all balsa.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:20   #170

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Cotemar
AussieWayne
All FP's new models from 2013 on, are now Balsa Core in their hulls and Foam Core in the decks.

FP uses solid glass around any skin fittings. This picture shows what I mean.
Also notice that each balsa block is surrounded by resin to localize any damage to a very small area.
Attached Images

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 22:26   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Not Cotemar.......but....

AFAIK, all FP boats before the Helia were foam core hull/deck and solid glass below the waterline (my Belize is this). The Helia was the first model to use balsa core. Cotemar stated foam core deck, I didn't know that, I thought is was all balsa.
DotDun Just out of interest have you confirmed that the Belize is actually solid glass below the waterline in some manner and not just the area surrounding the through hulls? I believed that it was foam cored?
Heading into thread drift but maybe of general interest.
AussieWayne
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 23:30   #172

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
DotDun Just out of interest have you confirmed that the Belize is actually solid glass below the waterline in some manner and not just the area surrounding the through hulls? I believed that it was foam cored?
AussieWayne
The new through-hull for the sea water intake when we put in air conditioning was through solid fibreglass.

It's on the outboard side of the stbd keel, about level with (and the same distance from the centreline as) the original seawater intake for the galley and anchor wash-down, which is inboard of the same keel - just aft of the head bulkhead.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 04:24   #173

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
AussieWayne
You can see where the foam core stops, there is a distinct 'ridge' in the layup. Look under the master bath sink, IIRC you can see where the core stops at or just below the waterline. (I'd look, but not close to the boat right now) You should also be able to see the transition in the port head under the sink or in the locker next to the toilet.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 07:00   #174

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44

Question for the experienced Orana owners. The Fuel system. I seem to have a leak somewhere when the engines are running. Nothing in either engine compartment but my Port Bilge gets diesel in it. Seems sporadic as to when.

So my questions:

I think this must be from one of the fuel return lines into the tank or a vent??
Is there a fuel vent to the tank somewhere that could be blocked?
Is there any access to the fuel tank to see if the return line is leaking there?

BTW no leaks at all with engs off. Thus my thought is the return line.

Thanks in advance
zerompg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:58   #175

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

I think you are right to suspect the return line but I had a leak at the sender unit for the fuel gauge that was a pain to get to on my Orana!
rmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 10:15   #176

I think we narrowed it to only happening when we run the generator (gen is under the aft seat in the cockpit). There is a panel where the fuel filter/battery switch are attached, port side. Looks like the fuel supply and return enter/exit at the left edge of the panel.

If I pull that panel off is that where the connections are made to the fuel tank?

Thanks
Old 27-01-2017, 10:27   #177

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

We have hull 79 (2011) and our tank connections are at the top of the tank - a supply and return for each of the three engines. Access to this tank is through the port aft bed frame - remove the mattress sections and there is a deckplate of sorts that sits over our tank. Pull that off and the entire tank and connections are exposed.
We did have a leaking banjo fitting on one of the return lines a while back causing some diesel to pool up on top of the tank, so check each of those while you have the engines running, one at a time...or it may just be obvious which one is leaking.
Hope this helps and you get it fixed!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 14:06   #178

Thanks for the info the panel under the aft bed shows the whole fuel tank. No leaking from any ins and outs for all three engines.. then I heard a spray and bubbling. With light and my camera I see a pin hole leak down at the bottom near the aft strap spraying a stream of diesel.. sure enough I'm sucking fuel from the bilge and trying to come up with a plan....
https://www.facebook.com/SailingStre...6666021011633/
Old 28-01-2017, 04:13   #179

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

Glad you found the source....sorry it wasn't a simple tightening fix.

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:42   #180

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

Incredible - how in the world did that happen? Keep us apprised on what you find and your progress. Wishing you the best of luck!!
rmaher is offline   Reply With Quote