Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 10:23   #31
cruiser

Re: Lavezzi Reefing Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
lE dOUME, Where exactly does it say Mono's can not post here?
Hi Shaun ,
Well it does not say that anywhere , but to open the ' discussion" one has to open the " Fountaine Pajot" forum , and the last time that I looked , this manufacturer DOES NOT BUILD MONO!
This forum is a great place to exchange views amongst catamaran owners in general , and FP owners in particular, which is extremely helpfull. I also own a small Beneteau , and do use another section of the forum to exchange views with fellow mono racers .
Have a fantastic time on the water with your vessel .

Happy sailing

Cheers : thumb:
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 05:52   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft

Hi to all FP owners, I use on my Lavezzi the following: upto 18 knots... no reefing. Between 18 - 24 first reef on the main and the genoa. Between 24 - 30 knots, 2nd reef on both, 30 -34 knots, 3 reef on both, 34-40 knots, lowered main and genoa on 4th mark. Now, these numbers change when wind angels are 120-180. Some comments on this: obviously and in some occasions (gusts) i let it sail as is and dont feel this is too much strain on the rig, but usualy i am very alert to follow these (manufacturer manual) guide lines, and indeed once reefed things just handle better. In the region where i am now, i usualy start sailing with the first reef in. One of the reasons is that, to put a reef in, i find it at some times rather cumbersome (single handed): first to furl the genoa, keep her in the wind, put the reef in, and then get back on course, unfurling the genoa... (at least that is how i do it). Also, and in addition a question to the forum: how abt using genaker sails (i have one 138sqm) and feel safe to use this one (no main, no genoa) upto 15 knots winds, but actualy i think that this genaker is so large that maybe i should stop using it above 10 knots. I would like to learn the experiences of the members of this forum. Best rgds and fair winds..
Pieter Kommerij
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 12:33   #33
cruiser

Hi Pieter,
I to do a fair amount of single handed either on my Lavezzi or on FP's deliveries so I have worked out a simple system which helps me put reefs in . Basically I have made what can only be described as a " long cuningham"with a 3 to 1 purchase so when I hoist the main , I attach one end ( hook) to the fitting on the main and the other end is on the u fitting on the mast . This allows me to then bring the main down under tension while I slowly release the halyard when a reef is needed . once the tension is OK I then take the reefing line in , this can be repeated up to the third reef.
I to have a " screecher " mounted on the proder , and I have used it up to 20 knots TWS , although furling it with that wind strenght can be " interesting ", so up to 15 knots its a great sail providing good SOG.
Cheers
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 16:33   #34

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Hi Lavezzi owners,
I am a new owner of a Lavezzi too (coming from a longkeeler mono, sailed a FP Sanoa 47 across the atlantic on a delivery though) and right away need to sail her 1100NM from Mallorca to Lanzarote where my old boat is to swap my stuff.
Could please post the reefing for the different angles and if AWA or TWA you felt comfortable with. That would give me a good starting point for my own self learning. Will for sure reef earlier then these numbers but i have a bandwidth to start with.
Did you also use a parasailor, if yes in what windspeed and angles. I have 105sqm parasailor too.
Lavezzis are definitely in the upper performance range of mass production cat. Sail area to weogjt ratio is good, bows are on the small side... Just daggerboards are missing... One of the main reason I was looking for one.
In contrast just sail with on a friends 2014 Lagoon 39. I n one word "horrible performance" with averaging 5kn in 15-20kn of wind. Tested the round sail T8 =8m diameter on his cat and he was super happy the 39 did 4.5kn in 7-8kn of wind. He never saw that before and normally he should use the big 10m T10. Sail area is small, boom hangs in the sky and bows are wide... More a sailing pontoons houseboat then an actual sailing cat.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Lavezzi