Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 20:28   #1

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Loose Mast Step

Hi has anyone experienced movement in their mast step?
I spoke to a rigger just now who showed me a Mahe 36 mast that he was repairing and replacing the deck plate.
My crew have been reporting movement on my Lavezzi 40, so I'm wondering how widespread this is and what methods have been used successfully to fix it?
The rigger said I may have to pull the mast and replace the deck plate, he also suggested that the rig adjustment could be out.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 21:03   #2

Re: Loose mast step

How much movement? A millimeter or a centimeter? Up and down or what? Maybe the shoe is not firmly bolted to the deck. Or the mast doesn't fit the shoe. Or is it "keel" stepped and the partners are simply loose?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 21:26   #3

Thanks for the reply daddle the movement is described as 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch sideways in a swell with light winds.
Like most if not all FP cats it is deck stepped and the deck plate or shoe bolts are said to be tight.
The mast sits on top of the deck plate and locates on the inside of the mast section.
From what I saw on the Mahe set up the mast is loose on the deck plate, even more so after the chaffing that has occurred.
The rigger thinks the wrong mast plate was installed but I'm wondering if the new plate he has, is a revised and improved version with more contact area.
Old 14-07-2011, 21:41   #4

It could be that corrosion has opened up the clearance between the mast and the plate. If so, at some point the bottom the mast may crumple a bit ... not good. Probably a good idea get that area completely inspected while it's simpler to repair. Sometimes a rigger can loosen the standing rigging and simply jack the mast up an inch.

I'm surprised the mast foot can move around while sailing. The pressure into the deck is great.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 23:23   #5

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind

Dragon Lady, were you talking to Mario the rigger? If so, then I know of the Mahe 36, and can affirm that the mast problem had nothing to do with FP. It was not properly stepped up by another rigger after the mast had been taken down for some work at Empire Marina.
Cheers!
JohnC
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 02:54   #6

Re: Loose Mast Step

Thanks John that's good to hear, I'm hopping I can get away with a rig tune.
Mario seems like a nice guy and has a good grasp of engineering.
So, was the old deck plate the wrong one fitted by someone else, or was it just a case of the rig tension being wrong.
The new plate is different and has much more contact area and is a much better fit.

Also thanks moderator you're doing a good job!
Old 15-07-2011, 03:41   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Hey Dragon Lady, I would suspect rig tune first. FP may have a guide for rig tuning that you could use. Or just get a rigger in at Noumea (I think thats where tou are/will be). Worth the few bucks to make sure. I would be very surprised if it was the step. Having said that - there could be a problem unique to that boat, but I have not heard of this as an issue with FP40s
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 03:47   #8

Thanks Factor, unfortunately Mario was unable to send me details of his man in Noumea so if anyone can recommend someone there I would be greatfull.
Old 15-07-2011, 14:35   #9

Just completed a similar repair on my Venezia 42. Turns out the aft 2/3 of the mast was "tacking" back and forth across the step. Movement was about 1/4" on each tack and continued forward to 2 small (1/2") vertical cracks 1/3 behind the leading edge.

Rigger pulled mast, cut 3/4" off bottom, refit mast step, shimmed 3/4" under step and restepped mast. Throw in all new standing/running rigging and masthead electronics and this ain't a cheap repair...

Cause: rigger felt mast was riding on 2 internal channels used for wiring conduit that coincided with cracks and created pressure/pivot points where mast and step overlapped (ie. poor fitment of mast step). Rigger ground out channels and welded step for a more precise fit before restepping. Also, a tech at Z-spar suggested rigging might have been too slack, thus allowing movement.

4 months in and a few hard reaches in 25 kts - so far, so good.

Good luck.
Bangorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 21:03   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Thanks Factor, unfortunately Mario was unable to send me details of his man in Noumea so if anyone can recommend someone there I would be greatfull.
Hi DL,
New Caledonia being our favourite cruising ground ( we have been there 5 times now ), we happen to own a small beach shack near Mt. D'Ore. I had some extensive rigging work done in Noumea in 2009 on our Beneteau ( replacement of all shrouds and stays) and can recommand an excellent rigger ( there are three of them there) located at the Marine Precinct on Ile Nou ( Nouville)which is across Baie de la Moselle opposite the commercial port.
This being a public forum , I will not of course advertise anyone's services as it may infrige the rules , but will be happy to pass on all contact details on a ' private" email.
Cheers
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 02:49   #11

Thanks everyone we found that a couple of the diamond stays were quite loose, we have tightened them up and it and there seems to be much less movement now but we will have to see how we go under sail.
in the mean time my house batteries seem to have gone to god so I think I will have to buy some new ones, if anyone can recommend a good battery shop here in noumea I would appreciate it.

best regards DL
Old 17-07-2011, 03:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Good to hear, hope the tune is all that was necessary.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 02:48   #13

Thanks Factor,

All went well except dam head winds, mast hardly moved at all maybe a few thou at the most.
Got some new batteries and the power issues are all gone too.
Just need to sort the port engine out and we'll be heading for the Whitsundays soon.
Happy days
Old 27-07-2011, 02:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume

Hi DL,
New Caledonia being our favourite cruising ground ( we have been there 5 times now ), we happen to own a small beach shack near Mt. D'Ore. I had some extensive rigging work done in Noumea in 2009 on our Beneteau ( replacement of all shrouds and stays) and can recommand an excellent rigger ( there are three of them there) located at the Marine Precinct on Ile Nou ( Nouville)which is across Baie de la Moselle opposite the commercial port.
This being a public forum , I will not of course advertise anyone's services as it may infrige the rules , but will be happy to pass on all contact details on a ' private" email.
Cheers
Thanks LD, all good now, found a really nice electrician in Noumea, was also blown away by how nice the officials were in Noumea so nice and helpful.

Tags
mast