Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 07:25   #16

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro
Re: Lucia 40 / Anchor chain pyramiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
SS anchor chain is not my favorite. It is expensive in good grades, and only good grades should be used. BUT... it's smoothness means that it doesn't stack up nearly as high as galvanized chain. I wouldn't normally recommend it, but in this situation, it can be the best compromise available.
Yes for sure SS chain is the best for making a flat pile, but 2500$ for 200ft is much more than a 300$ pyramiding preventer.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:09   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

I’d be keen on a solution for the Lucia chain piling.

If I manually move 35m to the Starboard side of the locker the remaining 30m will leave and enter the locker generally without piling and interfering with the windlass. If however input out 40m of chain it will always pile up and interfere with the windlass.
SS chain I understand while slippery for the anchor locker is also slippery on the sand / bottom and I’ve heard isn’t as good as galvanised chain.
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsonlea View Post
I’d be keen on a solution for the Lucia chain piling.

If I manually move 35m to the Starboard side of the locker the remaining 30m will leave and enter the locker generally without piling and interfering with the windlass. If however input out 40m of chain it will always pile up and interfere with the windlass.
SS chain I understand while slippery for the anchor locker is also slippery on the sand / bottom and I’ve heard isn’t as good as galvanised chain.

... and the aggraving factor is that the chain fall at 2 inches of the portside bulkhead, removing 1/2 of the space plus the proximity of the aft one to pile the pyramid.

I will sketch something like the cone, fixed on the bulkhead to push the chain more on starboard. Do you think just 3 inch more and adjusted a bit aft, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch, so it will have tendency to pile more center and forward would help ... to pile the full 60m without jamming.

When FP made their trials, the chain was brand new and they did not realized that with a 2 years old one... there is a problem.

Do I remember I saw windlass where the chain enter on the portside, turning counter-clockwise, I think so ! ... so the chain would fall 3 inch more on starboard ? Too many things to think when designing a cat... sometimes they forget one... or two.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42   #19

I think my chain is smoother now after 18mths than when new, and piles less. The galvanising has had the rough edges knocked off.

Looking forward to a pic.
One a seperate note, my factory supplied bridle failed in .53kts. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
... and the aggraving factor is that the chain fall at 2 inches of the portside bulkhead, removing 1/2 of the space plus the proximity of the aft one to pile the pyramid.

I will sketch something like the cone, fixed on the bulkhead to push the chain more on starboard. Do you think just 3 inch more and adjusted a bit aft, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch, so it will have tendency to pile more center and forward would help ... to pile the full 60m without jamming.

When FP made their trials, the chain was brand new and they did not realized that with a 2 years old one... there is a problem.

Do I remember I saw windlass where the chain enter on the portside, turning counter-clockwise, I think so ! ... so the chain would fall 3 inch more on starboard ? Too many things to think when designing a cat... sometimes they forget one... or two.
Old 12-09-2018, 19:55   #20

Quote:
I think my chain is smoother now after 18mths than when new, and piles less. The galvanising has had the rough edges knocked off.

Looking forward to a pic.

Thank you hobsonlea...
Good observation... I thought it was the opposite for the chain friction because of all the barnacles, weeds, sargassum, rust, etc that stick to the surface would increase the friction in the pile ... like the one in the video.
Old 13-09-2018, 04:57   #21

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
--------------snip--------------------------------
Will they replace it?
I tried splicing for the first time and made a bridle based on Cotemar's photos and info; it's as strong as could be (maybe not a pretty splices!) and held without the boat sailing back and forth at all. We're in the midst of selling the tri. The bridle stays!

Regards!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 05:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Will they replace it?

I tried splicing for the first time and made a bridle based on Cotemar's photos and info; it's as strong as could be (maybe not a pretty splices!) and held without the boat sailing back and forth at all. We're in the midst of selling the tri. The bridle stays!

Regards!

I don’t think the bridle failing after seeing 53kts at anchor is a warranty issue. The bridle supplied is simple and works, but needs beefing up for stronger winds. I could have requested a non std bridle, such as the Mantus bridle, or made my own. I’ve now made a new bridle and also a backup bridle.

Tags
anchor