Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2023, 06:19   #211

Re: Lucia Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
Hi

The hatches on my 2017 model are made by lewmar

See attached photos - you can make out the relevant numbers.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks. That helps alot. Nothing showing up on internet searches for those parts so I think I'll have to contact Lewmar or FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
The door handles for the heads are made by thirard. They're calledd monomax.

Mane sure the escape hatches have been replaced as these were subject to a critical recall.
Thanks! The escape hatch recall was completed.

Dave
delliott00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:27   #212

Hey everyone! We are knee deep into getting our new-to-us Lucia ready for some long cruises through the Caribbean and trying to plan for a bit more "off-grid" sustainability in the process.

Has anyone with a Lucia thought about putting in a 12v DC Air Conditioner from Mabru?

We live in the Caribbean and here A/C is a requirement 6-7 months a year. I really don't like running the generator at night when in a cove, and at the dock our cost per kwh is about 50 cents, so running A/C there adds up quick too (easily $15/day with those watt hogging Dometic units).

My thoughts were to replace the main salon A/C unit with a much more efficient (and quieter) Mabru 12V DC 12kbtu unit. But the interesting thing is that the factory installed salon A/C unit is sitting right over the master bedroom hallway. I took off a couple of panels and it would be very easy to install a 2nd vent that blows air directly toward the bed. The corner piece with the coat hook would easily accommodate a 4 inch duct. I could also install a Y-valve for the unit, which would allow me to direct cold air into the salon, the main stateroom, or both. I could even set up the display to be easily moved given that it is an ethernet cable, but I'm not sure that it's necessary as it's right next to the stairway already.

Seems like it would be a good solution for wanting to be able to cool the salon for a few hours during the afternoon or evening, then cooling the main stateroom at night.

The 12kbtu Mabru DC air conditioner uses about 600w per hour at max setting (including the DC water pump), less once it gets cool and steps down the compressor/fan.

We are planning out a solar system of about 1500w -- 2 x 500w panels on the coachroof behind the traveler (supported like Terbonium's in his Lucia Solar thread) and also another 500w in flexible panels. We get a solid 5-6 hours of peak sun on our current panels each day, so we *should* be able to generate 7-9kw daily. I'll likely have 3 x 300ah Kilovault 3.6kw batteries for storage. With 80% discharge available, and given that the unit won't be pulling 600w all night, I think we could get about 12hrs of sun-powered Air Cond each day/night. That would be amazing.

The other option is to get a 2nd Mabru 7kbtu unit for just the stateroom, but that adds a lot to the budget so it may have to wait.

Thoughts? With the solar panels, 3 batteries, MPPT chargers/shunts/BMS, and a 12kbtu unit, we're looking at about $12-13K if I DIY the install.

Thanks.

Dave
SV Free Luna
Old 09-08-2023, 07:08   #213

Community Sponsor

What size is the main salon unit you'll be replacing? BTU's?
In theory this is a good idea, you will still almost guaranteed have to run the gen in the morning or evening, or both, to top up the batteries before you go to sleep. 900ah will be on the very edge of what you can run the AC on, of course depending on what temp you set the thermostat to. If you can squeeze another 300ah in there you will be a lot happier.

Have you thought about doing a DIY solar rack on the stern that will accommodate more panels? We've sent out a few racks to clients that run in the $7k range that will hold four or five panels, so give you closer to 2kw with minimal shading. Obviously depends on where you are located. You can never have too much solar.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 08:30   #214

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliott00 View Post
Hey everyone! We are knee deep into getting our new-to-us Lucia ready for some long cruises through the Caribbean and trying to plan for a bit more "off-grid" sustainability in the process.

Has anyone with a Lucia thought about putting in a 12v DC Air Conditioner from Mabru?

We live in the Caribbean and here A/C is a requirement 6-7 months a year. I really don't like running the generator at night when in a cove, and at the dock our cost per kwh is about 50 cents, so running A/C there adds up quick too (easily $15/day with those watt hogging Dometic units).

My thoughts were to replace the main salon A/C unit with a much more efficient (and quieter) Mabru 12V DC 12kbtu unit. But the interesting thing is that the factory installed salon A/C unit is sitting right over the master bedroom hallway. I took off a couple of panels and it would be very easy to install a 2nd vent that blows air directly toward the bed. The corner piece with the coat hook would easily accommodate a 4 inch duct. I could also install a Y-valve for the unit, which would allow me to direct cold air into the salon, the main stateroom, or both. I could even set up the display to be easily moved given that it is an ethernet cable, but I'm not sure that it's necessary as it's right next to the stairway already.

Seems like it would be a good solution for wanting to be able to cool the salon for a few hours during the afternoon or evening, then cooling the main stateroom at night.

The 12kbtu Mabru DC air conditioner uses about 600w per hour at max setting (including the DC water pump), less once it gets cool and steps down the compressor/fan.

We are planning out a solar system of about 1500w -- 2 x 500w panels on the coachroof behind the traveler (supported like Terbonium's in his Lucia Solar thread) and also another 500w in flexible panels. We get a solid 5-6 hours of peak sun on our current panels each day, so we *should* be able to generate 7-9kw daily. I'll likely have 3 x 300ah Kilovault 3.6kw batteries for storage. With 80% discharge available, and given that the unit won't be pulling 600w all night, I think we could get about 12hrs of sun-powered Air Cond each day/night. That would be amazing.

The other option is to get a 2nd Mabru 7kbtu unit for just the stateroom, but that adds a lot to the budget so it may have to wait.

Thoughts? With the solar panels, 3 batteries, MPPT chargers/shunts/BMS, and a 12kbtu unit, we're looking at about $12-13K if I DIY the install.

Thanks.

Dave
SV Free Luna
Sorry, my reply above was meant for you.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 16:31   #215

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 40' Lucia

Hello all!

Just found this group, we have HULL # 260 in San Diego, CA. Purchased new in 2020.
nathanhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 21:11   #216

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanhope View Post
Hello all!

Just found this group, we have HULL # 260 in San Diego, CA. Purchased new in 2020.

Welcome. I hope you're enjoying your Lucia.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:32   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanhope View Post
Hello all!

Must be one of the very last built one's. Has anyone the data, how many Lucia 40 have been actualy built?

PS: I registered long time ago, when I was on the way to buy a FP cat. Now it is done (proud owner of hulll # 12) and I just remembered now about this forum
Teahupoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:18   #218

Boat: 2020 Fountain Pajot Lucia 40

Cheers fellow sailors..New to this Forum...Just took possession of my 2020 Lucia 40 in Tortola, BVI. Think Hull #249 New to Catamarans but not to sailing. Looking forward to meeting Like minded individuals..Home port is the Florida Keys.
SYNautiDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 09:38   #219

I am looking at a 156 m2 Istec Parasailor (used) for my Lucia 40. Does anyone know if this will overpower my boat or not..Istec recommends a 136 m2 for the Lucia. Any thoughts would be Greatly Appreciated.
Old 19-10-2023, 13:18   #220

Has anyone added an access hatch or inspector plate to the helm area? I need to check some connections back there and removing the freezer seems like a poor solution if one was offshore and needed access. I'm thinking a water-tight panel under the engine gauges would allow one to reach up and unscrew the locking rings for the gauges. Another option is to mount the GPS (ours is a 12" Axiom) on a piece of starboard that can be unscrewed, leaving a big hole for access -- but that requires resealing each time so it's still not ideal.

We have a lot of connections back there that might need access. Engine controls, NMEA2K, wind/autopilot, ethernet (to share data with the nav station GPS) etc.

Also, is there a trick to lubricating the throttle and shifter cables at the helm besides removing the freezer?

Thanks.

Dave E.
SV Free Luna
2016 FP Lucia 40
Palmas del Mar, PR
Old 19-10-2023, 13:25   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYNautiDog View Post
I am looking at a 156 m2 Istec Parasailor (used) for my Lucia 40. Does anyone know if this will overpower my boat or not..Istec recommends a 136 m2 for the Lucia. Any thoughts would be Greatly Appreciated.
Previous owners of our boat used an istec parasailor on our Lucia. It is still in the sail bag at the moment as we're getting a new main and running rigging first.

They used it a lot for downwind but they had one gust which split it right across the vents. It was repaired but I was told not to use it in gusty conditions.

While it's a different sail, I'd almost rather have a code zero. I've looked at the add-on bowsprits (I like that option better than the factory sprit) and a roller setup to install one.

BTW I looked at Nautidog earlier this year in the BVIs.

Dave E.
2016 FP Lucia 40
Palmas del Mar, PR
Old 22-11-2023, 06:16   #222

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2020 Lucia 40 and keen to know what sort of storage options fellow cruisers have come up with for the forward lockers. Options I'm thinking of is glassing in a couple of planks of wood and then securing bars / hanging racks to them to hang fenders, lines etc. Does anyone else have photos or videos of what they have done in their forward lockers. Cheers!
SYSeasTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 08:07   #223

Quote:
Previous owners of our boat used an istec parasailor on our Lucia. It is still in the sail bag at the moment as we're getting a new main and running rigging first.

They used it a lot for downwind but they had one gust which split it right across the vents. It was repaired but I was told not to use it in gusty conditions.

While it's a different sail, I'd almost rather have a code zero. I've looked at the add-on bowsprits (I like that option better than the factory sprit) and a roller setup to install one.

Dave E.
2016 FP Lucia 40
Palmas del Mar, PR

Thanks Dave. Defininely rules out an oversized Parasailor. Maybe even a undersized one for that. If I went new I would opt for the blue water upgrade, it is a stronger 70gr fabric as opposed to the standard 40gr. It just came out this past year and is only about $1000 more for the Parasailor. We are really pleased with NautiDog. See you picked up SY Seas the Day in PR. Are you just keeping her there or Cruising the Carib?
Old 22-11-2023, 08:08   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYNautiDog View Post
Thanks Dave. Defininely rules out an oversized Parasailor. Maybe even a undersized one for that. If I went new I would opt for the blue water upgrade, it is a stronger 70gr fabric as opposed to the standard 40gr. It just came out this past year and is only about $1000 more for the Parasailor. We are really pleased with NautiDog. See you picked up SY Seas the Day in PR. Are you just keeping her there or Cruising the Carib?

Are you planning on getting rid of your Parasailor for a code zero.?
Old 22-11-2023, 08:15   #225

Quote:

Dave E.
2016 FP Lucia 40
Palmas del Mar, PR

Sorry Dave, just realized your Lucia is not "SeastheDay" that was a different post, but all the rest of the post of mine is valid.