Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2023, 14:40   #226

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Re: Lucia Owners

Hi

That is pretty much what we did in the port side. Glued (Sika) wooden blocks in and fitted hangers for the dock lines and fenders (8 of). Aft bulkhead for ropes and both sides for the fenders.

We also added a step on the aft bulkhead as they are pretty deep and getting out can be a challenge if less that 6ft.

Starboard we only fitted 2 hangers and a step as we store the Gennaker and it's sheets there. Plus a few odds and ends.

I don't have any photos handy and the boat is 10,000Km away so no can do in that regard for the moment.

Cheers
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYSeasTheDay View Post
Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2020 Lucia 40 and keen to know what sort of storage options fellow cruisers have come up with for the forward lockers. Options I'm thinking of is glassing in a couple of planks of wood and then securing bars / hanging racks to them to hang fenders, lines etc. Does anyone else have photos or videos of what they have done in their forward lockers. Cheers!
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 11:06   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYNautiDog View Post
Are you planning on getting rid of your Parasailor for a code zero.?
I'd consider it but I haven't priced out a code zero. I know the forespar bowsprit is about $1700, I actually like that solution better than the Fountaine Pajot factory option. The forespar is a pole extension that can be removed or disconnected. Whereas the FP OEM solution is a glassed in bow extension that is permanent and looks odd IMHO.

Then I'd need to add the roller furler and sail. Not sure how much that would cost.

We haven't had a chance to try out the istec parasailor as we are still waiting on a new Quantum mainsail, but the previous owners loved the Istec and used it all the time. I assume it's going to outperform a code zero down wind but harder to raise and stow. I have pictures of the boat with the sail up somewhere. We unrolled it at the dock and it's in good shape.

We bought our boat in STT. We looked at Nautidog with Giles but it didn't work out. Was kind of annoying because we were contacted and told they were ready to accept the offer we had made 2 months prior, so we booked a last minute trip, airfare, hotel, etc ($2K in travel costs) only to be told they were *not* willing to accept it. Someone lied, but I guess it's my fault for not having it in writing. Worked out ok because we spent a lot less, even with some minor upgrades.

Dave E.
2016 FP Lucia 40
Palmas del Mar, PR
delliott00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:37   #228

Boat: 2020 Fountain Pajot Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliott00 View Post
I'd consider it but I haven't priced out a code zero. I know the forespar bowsprit is about $1700, I actually like that solution better than the Fountaine Pajot factory option. The forespar is a pole extension that can be removed or disconnected. Whereas the FP OEM solution is a glassed in bow extension that is permanent and looks odd IMHO.

Then I'd need to add the roller furler and sail. Not sure how much that would cost.

We haven't had a chance to try out the istec parasailor as we are still waiting on a new Quantum mainsail, but the previous owners loved the Istec and used it all the time. I assume it's going to outperform a code zero down wind but harder to raise and stow. I have pictures of the boat with the sail up somewhere. We unrolled it at the dock and it's in good shape.

We bought our boat in STT. We looked at Nautidog with Giles but it didn't work out. Was kind of annoying because we were contacted and told they were ready to accept the offer we had made 2 months prior, so we booked a last minute trip, airfare, hotel, etc ($2K in travel costs) only to be told they were *not* willing to accept it. Someone lied, but I guess it's my fault for not having it in writing. Worked out ok because we spent a lot less, even with some minor upgrades.

Dave E.
2016 FP Lucia 40
Palmas del Mar, PR

Hey Dave,
Sorry, just saw this..it never went to my email as before. Anyway just purchased a New Parasailor from Istec. Got the Blue water version. Has material almost 2x heavier than the previous...Is 70gr as opposed to 40gr. Should handle higher winds. Also the easy snuffer should make raising this sail easy. However, will have more to say about that when it comes and I fly it.
The owner of Nauti Dog was a bit difficult to get acceptance from but it worked out and we are very happy. Are you still in PR. Are going to bring the boat back from BVI in Apr/May would love to put a face to the post. Probably going to stop in Culebra on our way to the states. BTW Happy New Year!
SYNautiDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 11:26   #229

Isla 40 Starlink Mount / Cable Route

I'd like to install a Starlink on my Isla 40 and am looking for suggestions on where to mount the antenna and hub. Maybe aft of the solar panels for the antenna.

Does anyone know what route the solar panel cables take or how I can run the Starlink cable out of sight?

Please share thoughts and suggestions.
Larry Hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:43   #230

Re: Isla 40 Starlink Mount / Cable Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hillman View Post
I'd like to install a Starlink on my Isla 40 and am looking for suggestions on where to mount the antenna and hub. Maybe aft of the solar panels for the antenna.

Does anyone know what route the solar panel cables take or how I can run the Starlink cable out of sight?

Please share thoughts and suggestions.

What did you ever do on the starlink install? I am putting a starlink on my Lucia 40 and was curious what your research returned. My thoughts about putting aft of the Solar panels would be the shading of the solar panels. Thank you.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:54   #231

I gave up on putting the starlink aft of the solar panels. It turns out the ceiling panels on my boat are glued to the fiberglass. (Most boat makers use heavy duty velcro) So running the cable concealed under the ceiling panels became a much bigger job than I want to tackle.

So I went with a plan B.

I found a really nice bracket that fits nicely on the port bow seat tubing. And I ran the cable from my nav station into the bilge, under the port forward cabin bed and into the port forward locker. When I want to use the Starlink I slide the antenna into the bow mount and connect the cable from the bow locker. I put a piece of diesel hose over the cable to protect it in case the bow locker slams shut.

Its not the permanent installation I hope for ... but it was easy, works fine and I have no visible cables (except from the bow locker to the antenna when its set up).

If you have a better solution ... please share!!!
Old 08-02-2024, 08:04   #232

Thank you for that feedback.. I will keep you in the loop as I progress. But I really like that solution, at the moment. We are going to Tortola to pick up out boat in Nanny Cay to bring her back to the states the end of March/beginning of Apr. Got the starlink for the passage back. And further cruising. So a normal removable installation works best as we won't need it much in the states only for cruising. Are you still in Tortola?
Old 08-02-2024, 08:08   #233

Yes .. and at Nanny Cay!

Here's a link to the mounting bracket we used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGDCQ32H...t_details&th=1
Old 08-02-2024, 08:13   #234

Thank you. Will have to have a cold one together when I arrive. Actually the wife and I will be coming in Feb 26 to do 14 days around BVI. I look forward to meedting you. I/m sure you have seen our boat there.
Old 16-02-2024, 11:11   #235

Re: Lucia 40 / Isla 40 Battery Banks

How many separate battery banks are on a Lucia/Isla 40 with a Genset?
Old 19-02-2024, 08:24   #236

Re: Lucia 40 / Isla 40 Battery Banks

Quote:
How many separate battery banks are on a Lucia/Isla 40 with a Genset?
Mine came with a house battery bank (5 x 200ah AGMs), and a motors/genset bank (2 Optima blue tops). To charge the engine/gen batteries, you leave the battery switches on and it bridges them. Charger is a Victron Multiplus 2000 which can handle two banks.

As part of my solar upgrade, I am installing 4 x 300ah Kilovault HLX3600 LFP batteries for a total of 14.4kw. The Multiplus can be changed to handle an LFP profile.

Also doing two 550w panels on the bimini, using the support design from Terboniums thread. Two 550s are the almost same dimensions as his 3 x 365w. Those will be connected to two Victron 100/50 MPPTs. I probably will add 4x100w flexible panels on a fold out setup that will only be deployed at anchor/moored.

My only problem is where to put all these big batteries. They are much larger than the 5 AGM batts and won't fit in the engine room. I prefer them on the stbd side due to the existing wiring setup.

-Dave
SV Free Luna
Palmas del Mar, PR
Old 19-02-2024, 08:26   #237

Thanks for the reply Dave!

In which engine compartment are the battery banks you mentioned?
Old 19-02-2024, 08:43   #238

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Dave!

In which engine compartment are the battery banks you mentioned?
The 5 AGM house batts are in the stbd engine room. The two engine/gen batts are in the port side, tucked in front of the generator under the rudder bar.
Old 19-02-2024, 08:50   #239

Yep, thats what I am seeing.

So the Starboard engine starts using the engine/genset barreries in the Port engine room?
Old 19-02-2024, 09:12   #240

Quote:
Yep, thats what I am seeing.

So the Starboard engine starts using the engine/genset barreries in the Port engine room?
Yes. Both engines share that bank (or just the one battery if the genset battery switch is off). They are small engines and really don't need much juice to start. There is also an emergency start bridge relay to connect the engine starting to the house bank.