Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 09:47   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Mast Shortening

We are considering a future mod to our 2011 Orana mast that would clip approximately 2' off the mast height (and corresponding amount off of the top of the main sail)....not so we can sail the ICW, but at least to access a few more marinas here and there.

If anyone has done this on their cat, could you tell me 1) where did you have the work done? 2) would you recommend them to others? 3) approximately how much did it cost for the mast work? and finally, 4) any regrets?

Thanks!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 15:51   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44
Re: Mast Shortening

Hey Pat - I'm not much help here other than to say I've considered doing something similar by cutting the mast down to the black stripe that now marks the highest hoist point for the main. By my calculations, we could cut the main into a square top and only lose about 10 sq ft of sail.

As it appears the mast head is welded to the top, I would think it not that difficult to cut down some amount and have that head re-welded (but I may be more than a little naive here!) Certainly I'll advise if I find out anything more but hopefully someone else has better information.

Regards - Rob
rmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 16:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstadt View Post
We are considering a future mod to our 2011 Orana mast that would clip approximately 2' off the mast height (and corresponding amount off of the top of the main sail)....not so we can sail the ICW, but at least to access a few more marinas here and there.

If anyone has done this on their cat, could you tell me 1) where did you have the work done? 2) would you recommend them to others? 3) approximately how much did it cost for the mast work? and finally, 4) any regrets?

Thanks!

Pat
That seems a rather drastic modification for a relatively small gain, but that's for you to decide...

Before I considered such a thing I would have a long chat with a broker who specialized in my type of boat to understand what it might do to resale value. If it would have a significant impact on the marketability of the boat, that might be a bigger wallet hit than the cost of the modification itself.

Something else to consider: Changing the size of the mainsail without changing the jib might have an effect on the sailing balance of the boat.

Experts to consult: A rigger, a sailmaker, the boat's designer, or other navel architect familiar with catamarans. Boats are designed as "systems" and changing one part can have significant effects in ways that, to us amateurs, can be unpleasantly surprising.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 16:49   #4

If the masthead is welded it may be cheaper to cut the bottom of the mast and move the boom fitting up.....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 17:03   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If the masthead is welded it may be cheaper to cut the bottom of the mast and move the boom fitting up.....?
And shorten the head sail? Don't think so.

I doubt the masthead is welded to the mast.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 17:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I've both done it and seen it done. Happy to help you anywhere in NE florida
Old 15-11-2017, 17:32   #7

Boat: 53' Cutter

It is an aluminum mast. Any TIG welder worth his shop rate can do the work. Everything else is up to the riggers and sail makers.

I had a local metal fab shop in the middle-of-nowhere Texas cut the top and bottom off of a replacement mast and weld on a new masthead crane that duplicated the original. $400 for parts and labor.

I did the rigging and sail work myself.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 18:51   #8

I'd call Mack Sails in Stuart FL and ask for Colin Mack. He heads up their rigging jobs. Cutting the mast is easy. The challenge is to make sure the rigging geometry is right to keep the mast in column. Inches matter.

Obviously Mack could also do any sail changes needed. You may need to adjust them to keep the steering balanced. It's very easy when doing stuff like this to end up with a boat that rounds up unpredictably.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 19:23   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Obviously Mack could also do any sail changes needed. You may need to adjust them to keep the steering balanced. It's very easy when doing stuff like this to end up with a boat that rounds up unpredictably.
Look, the reduction in sail area here is less than putting in a single reef. Does that act usually (or ever) result in a boat that "rounds up unpredictably"? This boat is a fractional rig, so no changes to the forestay or foresail will be required, and the boat will sail like it had a "half reef" in all the time.

No big deal performance wise.

Jim
Old 15-11-2017, 19:40   #10

Jim, I agree that this is likely to work out fine for the reasons you mention. And shortening a mast has other benefits for a cat. But anytime you fool with the CE someone should at least run the numbers. Easy to do.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast