Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 17:00   #1

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Minimum Equipment on a New Order ?

Not sure if this is the boat for us yet..but it is on our 3 boat short list

That being said, I have looked on most of the major broker & private owner sites/blogs at Mahe 36's for sale. It appears a brand new 2010 (without all the options and delivery I am aware) is cheaper than the used ones for sale. Since I am on a budget...will be living aboard 90% of the time for the next 8 years or so, and am very handy with my hands. I will need to sacrifice all the options that th eother sellers have installed, to keep the price down. Then as the years go on..slowly install them or have them installed. Thsi may change..if the right boat comes along at the right price (between now and when I get home).

So, as the thread title says. From you fellow Mahe 36 owners. What are the minimum, if any options you would order from the ffactory...that may be hard or near impossible to put on after the fact..or more expensive.

I've enjoyed the last 2-3 hours reading the two very long threads and have bookmarked MANY of the sites given.

Thanks as always
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 00:17   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Hi Chief,
We live onboard our Mahe (2010) full time. Cruising in Australia. We got 30 hp engines instead of 20 hp and consider that to be the best thing we did. They use the about the same amount of fuel so having the extra hp when you need it is awesome. Also we had them install autopilot from factory, that would be a definate thing I would not go without. We bought a plotter cheaper ourselves and had it installed.
We love our Mahe, looked at lots of cats, and are are sill loving it. Our Mahe also came with extra water tank, might consider that.
I would pass on the factory fly screens, expensive and not good if your in a sandfly area.
See ya out there!
Rozzie
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 00:53   #3

So..autopilot..thats it
What about the sails or bowspirit?

It appears that the hard top is standard on 2010..is this correct?
I emailed Florida Yacht yesterday, but their one salesperson email from theri site must be busy.

Any interior things?

A/C? - cheaper/better put in after that fact
It looks like they have two packages you can order...however again..without sales support..I have no idea whats included in those pkgs and for how much

TIA
Old 03-08-2010, 14:43   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Hi Chief,
I guess Im not sure what you mean by basic. I thought the sails would be included in the basic. Ours came with sails, sailbag, lines, fenders. Interior had curtins in cabins.
We didn't get A/C rather we bought a portable one to use when we are in the monsoon season, not sure if you can actually get one installed from factory.
We got the manual toilet with holding tank, which I think would be standard, holding tank might not be. I think the sales staff would be able to give you a complete list of what comes with basic.
The larger HP engines I think can be ordered and that would be my number one recommendation beside the autopilot. We had a pretty strict budget so we were quite happy with how the boat came, they sent a spare parts (replacements) box with some bulbs and misc small parts which is good.
Yes the hard top seems to be on all the evolution models, however the steering position is still exposed, so you might need to get a small binimi built for that postion. We got one built over ours, works great.
Good luck, if you want to buy in Australia, I would recommend Multihull Solutions, they have were excellent with info, and contact.
KR
Rozzie
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55   #5

Thanks Rozzie

The upgraded engine pkg is $4400..I agree
Old 13-08-2010, 11:14   #6

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
When I bought my Mahe all the sails came with it and not much else. The holding tanks are an option and are a must if you are coming back to the USA with the boat. A/C is not a factory option, we installed ours after delivery. I agree that you need the auto pilot so you will have to buy the electronics package since they don't just sell the pilot by itself. I would have fans installed, it is a major pain to run wires throughout the boat, So I had wiring run at the factory for additional fans and possibly an electric head in the future, I also added thruhull fitting at the factory for the A/C, generator and water maker so I wouldn't have to haul the boat. Make sure you have all the costs identified before you purchase a new Mahe, have the broker give you a punch list of the costs. You will be suprised at how quickly it adds up. The difference between a new boat and one with a lot more option used is not really that great. There is commissioning, delivery, taxes, duty, to name a few costs, that will be add to your new boat.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 11:16   #7

Thanks Scott
Old 19-08-2010, 20:05   #8

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
It still begs the question of why the second hand boats prices are so high compared to the new price?
Is this because of the curency slide of the euro?
They really are an amazing little boat, my wife refused to believe that the Mahe was smaller than the Lavezzi when we looked at them on separate moorings
I'm just worried about the gelcoat blister issue, are they going to be another Wildcat?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:34   #9

Boat: Alura 30
The Euro has really come down and that's why new boats are a lot cheaper. The FP options can really escalate through the sky if you are not carefull,you have to pick and choose what is really necessery and what is not.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 21:41   #10

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time
Quote:
I would have fans installed, it is a major pain to run wires throughout the boat, So I had wiring run at the factory for additional fans and possibly an electric head in the future, .
I believe that the factory uses pre loomed wiring runs and that some of these contain the wires for some standard extras eg the electric toilets as they dont want to have two different loom versions. Since they use non tinned wire (unfortunately) the wire cost to them is minimal. You would just have to find the ends of the wires and add fuses & connect them but find someone who realy knows the insides of a Mahe to check this.

Recommend you consider the bowsprit - its very specific to the boat and not something you could buy after market (although you could possibly order it later from an FP dealer).

On the Lipari if you dont buy the Oceanique pack you get very little apart from the bare hull, imagine Mahe is the same. I went through everything on the FP option list and decided a) if I really needed it and then b) whether I could add it after market without major purchasing or installation hassles (eg for holding tanks would be difficult as they are a custom shape). If I decided I could add it after market, I compared internet prices with FP's published list price. Stlll ended up buying a fair bit from FP.

TwT
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:27   #11

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
FP Mahe Optional Equipment & Other Considerations

Mahe’s,

This list may help with selecting options and taking delivery.
Some of these options FP will put in for N/C (no charge) depending on if they have a show or special going on. In my case FP had a special to include a Dinghy (2.7m) & Outboard (6HP) for $5,069.
I swapped that out for the VP 30 HP engines with folding props and the autopilot.
It's all in the sales contract negotiations. If your willing to give and take on the show specials you can work a sales contract that fits your needs.

FP Mahe Optional Equip____Price F/P___ Codes
Lazy Bag __________________$1,100____ OPT017120
3-Blade Folding Prop V30hp ___$1,958 ____OPT0171822
Two (2) - Volvo 30 HP Engines__$2,885____ OPT017161
Hard Bimini Top w/Canvas _____$4,635____OPT017222A
Davits_____________________$1,172____OPT017240
Anti Foul Paint, primary epoxy___$1,571____OPT017260
Two (2) - Holding Tanks _______$1,000____OPT017410 (2)
EPack2 - VHF, GPS, Wind, Speed,Depth and Autopilot
__________________________$7,608____OPT017620
MP6 Container Life raft_______ $1,795_____OPT017710
Minimum Safety Kit__________ $1,304_____OPT017702
Cockpit Cushions____________$1,061____ OPT017235
Fly Screens in Cabins________ $141______OPT017346
Water Heater 110V__________ $155______OPT017422
Hot/Cold Deck Shower_______ $174______OPT017426
110V Main System__________ $1,880_____OPT017551
__________________Total__ $28,439

Other considerations
Delivery- Flat Earth Sailing _____________$14,100
Marine Delivery Insurance______________ $4,805
US import duties and fees which equal 2%__$5,380
Documentation=$130 / Registration=$180__ $310

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49   #12

Dear Chief..I am new to the forum but I have represented Fountaine Pajot for many years and literally seen the Mahe 36 evolve to the Evolution . The best options i have always recommended are the upgraded engines to 30HP. When purchasing a new yacht from FP you have to purchase either the basic 'grand large' pack or the better value 'Oceanique pack' (diff in price is $11500.Holding tanks are a must for me ..if you purchase the Oceanique pack this is included otherwise it costs $1442. Also a must are the davits (again inc in the Oceanique pack) otherwise $1614.The rest you can dd yourself as life goes on......if you would like more info revert and I shall try to help you...when FP first came out with the new pricing structure I too was confused by what was and was not included....regards
oxmetal is offline   Reply With Quote