Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2009, 12:50   #796

Boat: Alura 30
Well sais scott!this is why I will never put my boat in a charter fleet......JC.
Old 30-06-2009, 07:51   #797

Boat: Lagoon L42
Smavo,

Your post begs the question if you have any familiarity with boat systems? My initial reaction was that you were a troll trying to stir things up on this thread.
As Scott730 has identified, the issues you've taken with this boat have little to do with any FP design/manufacturing shortcomings but rather your interaction with the systems and basic operating skills.
Please feel free to provide additional clarification if this is not the case.

Regards
Old 30-06-2009, 16:18   #798

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Guys

Going back to the topic of blisters from a few weeks ago. There was a reference to the fact that there was no primer applied. Perhaps I am being a bit dumb but I did not think there would be any connection between a primer paint and blistering? I thought the gel coat was supposed to stop water and the blisters would be because of a fault in the gel coat or gel to laminate bond.

I have just slipped Reflexion and they have found some blisters so I need to start talking to the agents.

Was there any view whether the blisters you guys found were from issues laying up that area of the hull or a more systemic issue that is going to present ongoing problems?

Cheers
Martin
Old 30-06-2009, 16:44   #799

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Martin
I believe your right in that the bond may not have been as complete as we all have hoped for. The primer is just adding an additional barrier to prevent water intrusion, I'll know better the next time I have the boat hauled, but until then I can only hope that the new primer coat is doing the trick.
Any and all feedback is helpful on this subject.

Scott
Old 30-06-2009, 17:39   #800

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
blisters

[quote=MKB53;299097]Guys
I have just slipped Reflexion and they have found some blisters so I need to start talking to the agents.

Martin
Now you have got me worried. I did not think to ask the yard to check for blisters when WW was slipped, so I do not know if she is also affected. Where were the blisters located? Can you describe for me how they look like so that I can look for them? If possible, please post pics or PM them to me. Please PM me on outcome of your talks with agents.

Cheers!

JohnC
Old 30-06-2009, 18:07   #801
DtM

Martin,

Please let me know what the EC marine response is to the blisters.

Sounds like FP have stumped up for those in the US.

Are you still out of the water at Bayview ?
Old 30-06-2009, 20:32   #802

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Daniel
I think you will find that EC Marine is now called Multihull Solutions. The website www.fountainepajot.com.au cannot be loaded.

Cheers!
JohnC
Old 30-06-2009, 20:43   #803

Daniel

Still on the slip but should be back in the water tomorrow.

John
I did not see the blisters before they opened them up. Many were only in the gel layer but there were a couple where the water had intruded into the glas layer.

I will be down at the slip later and will ask them whether they would have noticed any had there been some on WW.

Cheers
Martin
Old 30-06-2009, 21:00   #804
DtM

John,

I am not sure what the correct status of Multihull Solutions is. My research shows it only as a registered business name in Queensland.
A further search shows that Multihull Solutions is registered to Greensphere Pty Limited.

My view is that EC Marine P/L is still the party with whom I will deal.

I am sure Mark watches this site so maybe he will clarify.

Martin, have you had any response from Mark?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12   #805

Seadog
On our boat the blisters are mostly inside the starboard hull,we found about 20,some of them small and then some others about 3 to 5 ",when you start grinding very lightly you can see water starting to come out,and if you go deeper you get into some delamination,so you have to go deeper untill you find some sound fiberglass.I have seen that on many boats,the job needs to be done right so it won't happen in the future when my boat is not anymore under warranty.I am talking with FP so they can take care of the problem.
JC.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:23   #806
DtM

JC
Are you talking direct to France or to your agent (PG ?)

What reactions are you getting ?

d
Old 02-07-2009, 12:49   #807

d I was talking to my agent and now is talking with FP people in France.Can't say anything yet,we have been going back and forth for 2 weeks now.I will keep you posted.
JC.
Old 05-07-2009, 17:23   #808

Guys

Has anyone replaced their batteries? Any info on the easiest way to get batteries and battery box out (to access the connections inside the battery box) would be greatly appreciated.

When it comes to accessability it is like the old Mini!
Old 05-07-2009, 18:32   #809

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Martin
On my boat, you can remove the batteries by sliding the furthest one on the port side to the hull (left) and then back to the stern, then you slide the next one all the way to the port hull and pull back to the stern, continue on till all are removed. It's not an easy job. Disconnect the positive leads first and remove wiring, then you can get at the negative leads in the back (you will bruise your arms and hands getting the negative bus bar off! I assure you, you will drink heavily after doing this! ) The only way to access the inside of the battery box is the sliding off the hatch on the top of the box which is just under the deck by a few inches which means you can slide the hatch off but you can't access the inside of the box!! I think FP did all the wiring before they installed the deck of the boat, once they did that, it made access to the battery box impossible. There is really no reason to get inside unless you want to rewire the battery configuration. However, that is exactly what I wanted to do (on my boat all the batteries are on the port side including the starting battery for the starboard engine, I wanted to move the starting battery to the starboard side and add a 4th house battery in place of the starting battery. I also had a loose connection inside the box that was touching another lead causing the starting battery to be in parallel with the house bank (thereby draining the starting battery). I actually bought a fiber optic scope with light so I could cut off the front of the battery box without cutting any wires inside, I inserted the scope in thru the hatch and watched the saw blade from the inside as I cut out the front panel. Everything worked out fine, But I would never suggest that anyone do this since I would never try it again.

Scott
Old 05-07-2009, 18:53   #810

Thanks Scott

Mine has 3 house batteries to port and the starboard battery to starboard and easily accessible! (Duh!)

Based on my memory of my battery box I don't see how the batteries can be slid to the port side unless the end panel comes out but I will check.

At this stage I don't need to get them out but I did want to get into the connections so that I could wire a shunt (for a battery monitor) in the negative line with as few joins as possible.

The supply from the neg terminal to the switch box is a bar so I guess that will run to the neg terminals for all circuits (on the starboard end of the box) which means I don't have any option. As you have looked inside with a scope you could probably confirm that - I was going to try to get the sliding panel off and use a mirror.

I may just resort to drink as you suggest will happen. Murphys Law says we will need to get in there to fix something so why don't they make it easier!

As an aside I am also having a lot of fun getting the wires for the sensor and dedicated power from the shunt to the monitor. At least the monitor neatly replaced the standard voltage meter, that was the only easy bit.
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36