Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 09:01   #136

Boat: Mahé 36
Re: Owners

After more than 40 years of monohull sailing I made the jump to catamarans and bought a Mahé 36. I was so fortunate I could buy the boat of Rabbi. Those who have followed this forum will know he maintained his boat very well and added many extra’s like a solid bimini, plenty of solar panels (560 W) and a water maker.
It is Mahe # 18, serial number FR-FPA17018L607. Like my previous boats we called her Joy.

We are very happy with the boat. I bought it in August 1 in Valencia on the Spanish Mediterranean coast and sailed around Spain to Lisbon. We especially enjoyed the Guadiana River and the lagoons on the Portuguese Algarve.
We put the boat on the hard in Seixal, near Lisbon where it will stay during the winter. Next summer we will sail the boat back to The Netherlands, where we live.

This forum has helped a lot in getting to know the boat before we had it and I learned very much from it, so thanks to all the contributors!

Jan Jaap
sailingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:21   #137

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Sailingjoy,

Welcome aboard the CF.

This is a great place to learn and share ideas.

Please post your ideas with pictures, so we can learn also.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 13:19   #138

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Now that you had your coming Out: congrats on the nice boat
For those wondering why we sold: We are planning a 2 year trip that requires a somewhat bigger boat. Otherwise we would not have sold her.
But Jan Jaap and i have an informal agreement that Jan Jaap will inform me whenever he wants to sell. Just in case we need a boat then...

I have to admit that i havent really shared much of the modifications i did to your boat so please Go ahead and share if you have the time.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 15:57   #139

Community Sponsor

Owners

rabbi,
What are you looking at for your next boat?
Old 21-10-2016, 17:40   #140

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

We are planning for a 2 year trip starting from the med by end of next year, that is trans atlantic and Pacific to Australia.
I would be OK for the transatlantic on a mahe but for the long passages across the Pacific we carry too much stuff. The kids are lightweight but their toys are not
And with 2+2 and the occasional family guests a Mahe really becomes small. We had enough of this over the last three years: 6 persons and one head requires a sophisticated schedule for the loo

So we are looking for something like a lagoon 400/410 or a Lipari, or maybe a Lavezzi. Or whatever comes along and looks like a steal in the 40ft range.
I just need something that I can easily sell in Australia after the trip, which basically means one of the volume manufacturers: lagoon, fp or leopard.
I envy your Helia but realistically it's out of budget for us. We decided to retire early at age 38/40 instead of retiring rich and old so we need to be somewhat careful with our spending

Once we finished that trip I would be happy with a mahe again just for holidays in the med. Really a nice boat for that purpose.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:21   #141

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

Hi Sailingjoy, I am sure you will love your Mahe, we did.

I am pretty sure we saw you on about Aug 23 or 24. We were anchored in a little bay off Cabo Del Gata when I saw a Mahe (Joy on the AIS!) approaching and heading on towards Aguadulce or Almeria. I should have call you up and had a chat! I did not recognise the name but am interested to learn she was Rabbi's Mahe.
Enjoy your cruising!
Martin
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 13:39   #142

Boat: Mahé 36

Hi Martin,

I am sure we have seen you! On August 23 we sailed from Cala de San Pedro to Almeria. We anchored in the outer harbour and when we came ashore we found ourselves in the middle of the spectacular annual festivities for the Virgin de Mar!
During our trip we saw 3 Lucia 40’s and every time I pointed them out to my wife: Look, a brand new Lucia! One of them was your boat. The Lucia really looks beautiful in the open sea.
Jan Jaap.

PS: Too bad your A2 asymetric is not interesting for us, I already have a Parasailer of roughly the same size… ;-)
sailingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 04:08   #143

Boat: Switch 51 #10
The sailing world is small...

Nice that Martin and Jan Jaap saw each other: we met Martin and his wife in Sydney last January, and Jan Jaap we met a few times in March/April....
Half a world distance between those 2 visits!
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:00   #144

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36

Hi Folks

New skipper of Mahe #93, formerly Southern Cross out of Port Jefferson NY, skippered by Longislandsail.

Now she is SOPHIE out of District of Columbia, skippered by Time Traveler.

Have been studying this forum closely for months now. You are an amazing bunch of sailors -- curious, knowledgable, ingenious, and sharing.

Sure hope i can give some back.
Time Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:22   #145

Community Sponsor

Time Traveler,

Welcome aboard the CF. We know your boat well as we used to own a FP Mahe 36 and our boats where side by side for winter storage for a few years in Connecticut.

Longislandsail is a great guy and very smart sailor.

We are a close knit family here in the FP pages.

Please add more great info with pictures when you can.
Old 17-03-2017, 15:13   #146

Boat: F.P Mahe Evolution 36-Aloha Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Traveler View Post
Hi Folks

New skipper of Mahe #93, formerly Southern Cross out of Port Jefferson NY, skippered by Longislandsail.

Now she is SOPHIE out of District of Columbia, skippered by Time Traveler.

Have been studying this forum closely for months now. You are an amazing bunch of sailors -- curious, knowledgable, ingenious, and sharing.

Sure hope i can give some back.
Hi TT, congratulations on your new Mahe. I know you'll enjoy sailing her, what's your sailing plans keeping her local ?

Aloha,
Nalu
Nalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 05:57   #147

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36

Thanks Cotemar, greatly appreciate the warm welcome

And thanks Nalu. Newly beloved SOPHIE is on the hard in St Marys GA for some refitting. Then coastal to Miami to sea-trial on the way to family festivities. Then to Man-o-War (Abaco), a true hurricane hole where former beloved ANNIE (Crealock 37) was based for a couple years. And in November, a big decision about the Pacific ....

Are you based in FL?
Time Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 13:22   #148

Boat: F.P Mahe Evolution 36-Aloha Ola

Hi TT,
All sounds great, I guess you'll have to take your own adult beverages to Man O war if they still don't sell alcohol on the island Pacific sounds good as well all about the timing.
Were not in FL any more, were in-between CO and HI. Aloha Ola is in the BVI's in charter, hopefully next year well do some extended sailing around the Caribbean enough islands around there to explore for a year or so
Enjoy and remember were here for a good time, not a long time, Aloha
Nalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 13:55   #149

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
Hi TT,

All sounds great, I guess you'll have to take your own adult beverages to Man O war if they still don't sell alcohol on the island Pacific sounds good as well all about the timing.

Were not in FL any more, were in-between CO and HI. Aloha Ola is in the BVI's in charter, hopefully next year well do some extended sailing around the Caribbean enough islands around there to explore for a year or so

Enjoy and remember were here for a good time, not a long time, Aloha

Still no beer or booze on Man O War....but lots of Churches....
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 23:42   #150

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

I hope Johnno and any others in the Airlie Beach or Hammo marinas have weathered cyclone Debbie OK. Looks like they were pretty much in the centre of the storm.
From TV footage it looked like there were a number of boats that had not taken the sails off with predictable consequences for neighbouring boats.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote