Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2008, 11:40   #1

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Plumbing and Water Heater

Jeff, I had to laugh, the exact same thing has happeneed to me twice. I got a new thermostat but not before blowing out two hoses. I used the deck shower hose to get by until I get a new one. It was just like an "expresso machine"
Lonnie
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:48   #2

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Plumbing and Water Heater

Scott, you have adjusted the thermostat of the boiler. The Sigmar Marine representative in the Netherlands tells me it can not be adjusted, must be replaced. Lonnie of Iriecat also replaced i.s.o adjusted. Are we talking of the same thing? different thermostats? My boiler is Sigmar Marine, 25 litres, outside black plastic, inside Stainless Steel, thermostat according to the documentation in a black square box, unreachable at the bottom?
Sigmar Marine has been taken over by a company called Quick by the way.
Thanks,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 13:03   #3

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Jef
It is adjustable, the owners manual doesn't explain how to do it. I had my thermostat replaced and when it was out I took a look at it. The tech put it back in and the water wasn't getting hot (he turn it to low) so I adjusted it myself. There is a plastic black box on the bottom of the heater, you need to remove the box and the thermostat is accessable (very difficult to do). Once the box/cover is off there is a red dial with a slot in the center (I had to use a dentist mirror to see it), if you turn it clock wise you lower the temp. The factory ships the units with the adjustment at the highest setting, that is why the lines are blowing out. It doesn't take alot to lower the temp., I had to do it 8 or 10 times before we got it to 132 degrees. If you turn it to much the heater won't work at all.

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 13:20   #4

Boiler thermostat

Scott, thanks a lot, I am going to try. However, I will not go as low as 132 F, this is just 55 degrees C and you need according to people in Europe 60 C, around 140F, to avoid Legionella and that is a disease you don't want for sure. Also I like the long shower time you get with really hot water. I will consider mounting a thermostatic water mixer just after the boiler that mixes the hot boiler water with cold water to get to a stable 65 Centigrade. Gives more hot water, avoids burns, better for the plastic piping. Uses no energy. Another winter job.....
Old 24-11-2008, 14:48   #5

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Hot Water Mixer

Jef, I would be very interested in how you instal the water mixer. I am terified I will kill another hose (I'm out of spares). Can we use a different hose or are we stuck with that one. I can't find them anywhere. Also the Yahoo Group is like a great idea.
Lonnie
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 04:15   #6

Lonnie, how to install the thermostatic mixer is described on page 13/63 of the boiler's manual. This shows a thermostatic mixer as supplied by Sigmar Marine and the proposed installation below the boiler. Problem might be that there is not enough space below the boiler, and you have to mount it in another location using an extra connection hose.
See this page attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boiler thermostatic mixer002.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	5958  
Old 19-12-2008, 13:29   #7

Does anyone know who makes the hot and cold water supply hoses? I'd like to have a few feet of spare on board when we head to the Bahamas.

Thanks
Scott
Old 23-12-2008, 10:17   #8

Water hoses

Scott, you asked for the water hoses. They are 15 mm diameter. On Google I found a USA supplier:
Tube-Hose Connector - 15mm to 1/2” from WHALE PUMPS
On that page you find the red and blue hoses for 0.89 $/foot. This might be what you are looking for. No guarantee!
The brand name of the fittings is Hepworth, but these are available from other brands as well.

I have ordered a mixing tap from Plastimo, this has the same shape as the rear deck shower. When I receive that, I will also order a piece of red and blue 15 mm pipe as well, to connect this.
Hot water for the deck shower is an option from Fountaine Pajot, but of course you can build it in yourself by ordering the mixing valve from Plastimo. In the engine room you can find that the T-peices to connect the mixing valve to the hot water supply is already prepared.
Old 13-01-2009, 08:37   #9

I've installed a spectra T-200 on the boat and it is making 9 to 10 gallons an hour, very pleased with the output. I mounted it in the hanging locker on the port side. Pretty easy since the water tank and thru hulls are right there (I used the existing discharge thru hull for the bilge pump and had an intake Thru hull installed at the factory right by the bilge pump). I used the Whale quick disconnect fittings and 15 mm waterlines to tap into the existing semi ridgid 15 mm waterline that came with the boat (for backflushing of the watermaker after each use) and it was easy.
We were hoping to leave tomorrow for the Abacos but the weather hasn't cooperated so I think it will be next week.
JC, congrats on your new additions to the family. I'll let you know about our trip, but Lonnie is the true adventurer, Lonnie, you should post some pictures or share your web site with the others on this forum. You've certainly visited some of the more remote outer island of the Bahamas.

Scott
Old 13-01-2009, 09:54   #10

Lonnie,
While installing the water maker I went to connect the hose to the thru hull fitting and the fitting came loose right in my hand! Started to leak, I gave it a good turn and it was tight and no more leaks. Check your thru hull to make sure it is tight.

Scott
Old 22-01-2009, 17:40   #11

Boat: Mahe 36
Hi Scott,
I would like to see any pictures you might have of your watermaker installation.
thanks,
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 05:04   #12

Lori
I'm sending you message from Manjack Cay in the Bahamas, a nice guy opened his WiFi for the cruisers to use. Water maker is working great and really gives me the flexiblity of going to places that otherwise we wouldn't make. Have yet to take on any water at a marina for over 2 weeks. I'll post pictures when I have a better connection, maybe the end of the Feb.

Scott
Old 28-01-2009, 15:05   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
Lori
I'm sending you message from Manjack Cay in the Bahamas, a nice guy opened his WiFi for the cruisers to use. Water maker is working great and really gives me the flexiblity of going to places that otherwise we wouldn't make. Have yet to take on any water at a marina for over 2 weeks. I'll post pictures when I have a better connection, maybe the end of the Feb.

Scott

I have a question as drift.

If you did not have a water maker and conserved a "little", would you have been able to keep supplied by rainwater?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 11:37   #14

Therapy
Two things about your question, one, it hasn't rained since we got here and two, would you drink the rain water? The best thing about the water maker is we can make water any time and we know the quality of the water. A big issue, since RO water here is any were from 20 cents to 50 cents a gallon.
I would say it was one of the best investment we made next to buying the boat.
BTW left this message from Guana key, more and more places in the Bahamas have internet. But the economy is really hurt here as everywhere.
Scott
Old 29-01-2009, 15:14   #15
DtM

Hey Scott,

Can we get pictures and a specification (ie what bits etc) please.

I am very envious of your trip.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36