Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 18:18   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40, BMW R1200GS
Reefing Lines, Halyards and Sheets - Where are yours run?

Hi All,

We have a 2007 Lavezzi we bought a year ago and have been living on board since then. We have maintained the current sheet and reefing layout to see how it worked and realise we need to make some changes. Ideally I want to run everything back to the helm if possible.

I am looking for feedback from current and previous Lavezzi owners on what changes they have made. If possible please post pictures so we can start to gather ideas.

Current Setup

Our Lavezzi has what I would call the minimum setup.

Coachtop: one winch port and one winch stbd with a single jammer for each. Main sheet runs through the single jammer with the headsail in the the winch tailer.

Mast: 1 winch each side. Stbd winch for topping lift, headsail halyard. Port for headsail and gennaker halyards along with the reefing lines. The reefing line jammers are inside the front of the boom.

Annoyances
- Not having everything at the helm. This is the way all the newer cats are configured and it just makes sense.
- The headsail sheet and the main are run to a single winch meaning you cant trim both at the same time. Yes the main has it's own jammer and you can cross the cockpit to control it if needed. IMHO it needs to be 2 winches at the helm so the sheet and main can both be controlled at the same time.
- When headsail is to port, having to cross from the helm to trim. Although not a big issue it is just another process which isnt needed when all controls are at the helm.

Headsail Sheets Solution?
We have seen on Toucanoes (was Carpe Diem) a turning block added to port in front of the winch with the sheet then routed to the helm and it's own jammer. An additional winch was added to the helm position allowing you to control the port headsail sheet without leaving the helm.

Also means you can have both winches loaded (main on one, headsail on the other) so you can trim either at any time. Saves having to cross the boat to work the port side headsail sheet

Unless someone has a better idea, we will likely implement the same setup.

Reefs
Having the reefs at the mast is not that big a deal, except in big seas when you can get tossed around a little. Our previous boat was a Northshore 38 mono and had single line reefing. You could get the 1st and 2nd reef points set from the cockpit.

Although the reef line jammers (is it still called a jammer when it is a serrated piece of metal sitting inside the boom?) boom is effective, it is not ideal as you really need to watch what you are doing to ensure it is set.

Once set is fine but again in heavy swells I would much prefer we don't need to head to the mast to set the reef. Only solution I am aware of is some kind of single line reef and feeding the reef lines back to the helm.

I am not that smart, so perhaps someone has an alternative?

Running back to the helm would be great with some kind of single line reefing.

I have seen a Lavezzi ages ago where someone had removed the winch from the port side of the mast. I just can't recall what they did with their reefing lines.

Thanks for reading and I welcome all feedback.

Many Thanks

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coachhouse.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	107735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reefing Jammers.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	107736  

ducati996guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 00:41   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Reefing Lines, Halyards and Sheets - Where are yours run?

One quick improvement would be to add a clutch for the headsail which is what our Athena and all the Lavezzis I have seen have. Then you can trim either main or jib from the one winch.
I agree with routing the port jib sheet to the helm position, again with a clutch. This is how the Helia and Lipari are configured. You could get away with one winch at the helm but 2 would be better. The advantage is not having to traipse across the seats when people are using the cockpit table. You will still have to cross over to check the set on starboard tack.
Personally, I would keep the main reefing at the mast. Its simple and works and gives 3 reefs. To implement single line will require more clutches around the winch(es) and the real estate at the helm will get cluttered with tails etc where there is not much space anyway. Monos tend to spread this around either side of the companionway, but all lines to the cockpit makes a hell of a mess in my view.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 21:37   #3

Thanks for the reply Rapanui

I know it may get a little crowded but even having the first reef back to the helm will make a difference I think

I was hoping to hear from Jacques or dragon lady as I am sure they have done something with the reefs

Anyway off to boat works tomorrow to see what they can recommend

Best wishes

David
Old 23-08-2015, 07:24   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Everything at the helm is a personal choice, no right or wrong to it. I personally don't have a problem going to the mast, it's a whole lot easier on a cat vs. mono.

Main halyard to the helm: You transfer part of the mast compression load to the deck structure. More hardware to break/maintain. A mess of line to store at the helm.

What about the topping lift? What about the lazy jacks? If you are going to the mast for those, what's the point?

Reefing lines to the helm: It can be done with a enough hardware.

Port sheet to the helm: Again, more hardware to break/maintain. At least 2 cheek blocks. Still have to leave the helm to trim the traveler. More line to store at the helm.

I agree 2 winches required, I have 2 on each side.

I guess I'm more of a keep it simple person, hence I don't see the benefit in complex hardware just for the luxury of keeping my butt on the helm seat. When I get to that point, I'll buy a power boat!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:23   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

When we first started sailing our L40, I had considered most of the same modifications mentioned above. It wasn't long before we became used to having halyards and reefing lines at the mast. It's tidy with all the lines leading to rope lockers below deck, and the main sail is small enough to handle without single line reefing.

I will, however, add a clutch for the stbd jib sheet and maybe both. I cannot imagine why that wasn't standard.
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:41   #6

Thanks for the responses.

After much discuss at Boat Works and also the comments above, we are adding the turning block to get the port sheet to the stbd side and adding 2 x additional jammers to helm position. This will mean we can trim from the helm for both main and headsail.

The reefs we are going to leave as is which it sounds like will be the right decision based on the comments above and of course what do we do with all that reefing line at the helm. :-)

Thanks everyone for the input.

Tags
halyard, sheets