Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 14:46   #1

Replacing Genoa Cars & Track

Hi all,

We may need to replace the tracks for our genoa cars on our 2006 Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60. Does anyone know if those tracks would be through bolted or if they are screwed into the fiberglass?

The headliners inside the saloon seem pretty "permanent", so if those tracks are actually bolted through the roof, it's going to be a big project.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.
InsuredApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 14:49   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 36
Re: Replacing Genoa Cars & Track

I can't answer your questions but I am curious... what happened to the track that you need to replace them?
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 15:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
I can't answer your questions but I am curious... what happened to the track that you need to replace them?
I'm not 100% sure if I want to replace them, but Harken discontinued the genoa car that we have, we need a new one... I've exchanged a number of emails with Harken (it's a VERY slow process to get a replacement recommendation from them).

It's a 40 mm track. The Harken C7754 may fit, but Harken also hasn't recommended it. They recommended going to a 32 mm track, but the car they recommended has 1/2 of the working load than what our current car has.
Old 04-10-2018, 16:23   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I have to believe it's through bolted about every 6". I have the predecessor of your boat and it is.
Old 04-10-2018, 17:42   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Save yourself a @&$!ton of pain and suffering and buy whatever jib cars will fit. Pulling, replacing, and bedding car tracks is really not something you want to do unless they are leaking or damaged beyond serviceability.

You’re better off just replacing with new 40mm cars of a different design.

https://www.harken.com/productdetail...4676&taxid=496
Old 05-10-2018, 05:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Save yourself a @&$!ton of pain and suffering and buy whatever jib cars will fit. Pulling, replacing, and bedding car tracks is really not something you want to do unless they are leaking or damaged beyond serviceability.

You’re better off just replacing with new 40mm cars of a different design.

https://www.harken.com/productdetail...4676&taxid=496
I wish this car would fit, but according to Harken it isn't an option. I've followed-up with them, but they are REALLY slow to reply. I'd MUCH rather not replace the track, but I also want to make sure we have a high quality solution with longevity.

I wasn't able to find the technical drawings for C4219, otherwise I'd be able to see if it could be a one-to-one replacement.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I have to believe it's through bolted about every 6". I have the predecessor of your boat and it is.
Ugh, that's what I suspected. What a project
Old 05-10-2018, 05:52   #8

Bacon sails may have some second hand cars that fit https://baconsails.com/
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:31   #9

Boat: Cal 33-2

Talk to a rigger. Harken website shows several cars for 40mm tracks. Can't believe one of those won't work. No way I would go to the trouble of changing the track and go down in size.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:43   #10

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I'm sure you can use another car from a different manufacturer as long as it has similar specs and fits the track, the headliners throughout the boat are velcroed on, the ones on the salon are very hard but do un velcro
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:56   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 36

Like others stated. Removing the tracks would be a last resort thing to do if it were up to me. I would rather consider buying standards (oversize) cars and have them modified / rebuild to your specs by a machine shop than removing the tracks.
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Talk to a rigger. Harken website shows several cars for 40mm tracks. Can't believe one of those won't work. No way I would go to the trouble of changing the track and go down in size.
I was surprised when Harken recommended going to the 32 mm track. When I checked the specs on the car they recommended, it didn't meet the working load requirements. Ah.... thought I'd ask Harken and get a proper answer

I'm waiting to hear back from them, but they are SO SLOW to reply.

I'd much rather not get a used part from somewhere and replace it with something new (that hopefully lasts longer than a used part).

The Harken C7754 would fit, but unsure of price and availability (waiting on a reply). The C4219 may also be an option, but Harken doesn't share the technical drawings for it, so I don't know if it would fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
I'm sure you can use another car from a different manufacturer as long as it has similar specs and fits the track, the headliners throughout the boat are velcroed on, the ones on the salon are very hard but do un velcro
Thanks for the velcro tip. I didn't want to start applying much force... in fear of breaking stuff. Now I know... the headliners can be removed if need be.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I've got Harken stuck in my head as the brand to go with. Maybe I'm way off... sd
Old 05-10-2018, 08:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
Like others stated. Removing the tracks would be a last resort thing to do if it were up to me. I would rather consider buying standards (oversize) cars and have them modified / rebuild to your specs by a machine shop than removing the tracks.
That's a pretty good idea!
Old 05-10-2018, 18:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post
Hi all,

We may need to replace the tracks for our genoa cars on our 2006 Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60. Does anyone know if those tracks would be through bolted or if they are screwed into the fiberglass?

The headliners inside the saloon seem pretty "permanent", so if those tracks are actually bolted through the roof, it's going to be a big project.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have gone thru the same issue. The Track design and specs of most of the manufacturers have undergone changes overtime. There are some second less known brands that may offer an alternative.
Talk to a rigger
My question is why are you checking the cars
There are few parts to a car. Is it because the sheave is chipped or the runners worn or missing . With modern 3D manufacturing equipment these can quite inexpensively be made. Consider this before pulling up your track which will be connected thru hull. Removing lining etc
I have had parts made from stainless steel, alloys and high tec plastics cut from a solid block using computer controlled water cutting equipment. Cost benefit analysis yes they are not cheep so if you need 2 get 4 made but compared to replacing the whole track and new cars it's a bargain
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa