Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 15:20   #391

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Rig and Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufduck View Post
We have an Espar D4 factory installation that is marginal at best (it is working at spec) but the boat is quite drafty. Just wondering if others have experienced this and discovered a workable solution.
Cotemar was kind enough to reference the proper side window sealant as both aft windows now leak and the Gorilla Tape looks so...industrial. Project for next summer.
Cheers, Martyn Adams
Martyn, is the heater hose insulated? We have this stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBERSPACH...-/321300406409

The difference is without it, you can hold your hand infront of the vent, with insulation, its too hot for you hand. We retro fitted it after fitting the heater, an ST2000 on a 31ft yacht.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:31   #392

Boat: Mahe 36

Jan and Pete,
Thank you both.
Jan, beautiful sail. We used the same system for the top diagonal batten on our last tri. Curious if you reused the old batten hardware or bought new? Thanks for the lead to your sail maker. Have worked with several local lofts for competition sails in the past and will use your info as a starting point.

Pete, I am familiar with this product and have replaced two short sections where access is possible. The rest is a major undertaking and the runs are quite long. We are just north of Seattle but the best sailing is during fall, winter and spring. Chilling a bottle of wine in six inches of snow on deck is fun but I try to keep Linda warm, especially at night. I mean, I keep her warm at night but...you know what I mean.
Cheers
Martyn
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 11:28   #393

Boat: Mahé 36

Yes Martyn, I used the same batten hardware for the new sail. I only had to add one batten car for the extra diagonal batten.
sailingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 11:45   #394

Boat: Mahé 36

I have a question about my mast. Sometimes I am a bit worried about it.
MKB53 rightly said (post 385): “The Mahe is a 3/4 rig. There is a lot of unstayed mast up there. You will see a lot of flexing in a stiff breeze”
Cuffy said (post 386): The Mahe rig is very solid, the mast section is more than adequate as we have had no issues with the upgraded bigger square top main sail (57m2).

Still I know the was one Mahé who got hair cracks in the mast, just above the attachment of the stays. In the end the mast had to be replaced. Is this the only Mahé that has had this problem?

I think about 140 Mahé’s have been built, does anyone know of other Mahé’s who had problems with their mast?
sailingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 14:21   #395

Hi all,
Went for a yacht club cruise yesterday. Wind finally clocked from 12 o’clock so up went the main and clunk. Would not go higher than about 16 feet. Up to investigate and found the mast track feeder gate had separated from the lowest mast track section and jammed one of the bat cars. Wiggled the gate into position and hoisted another 10 feet and the next car ran off the track. Rained torlon ball bearings. Recovered some.
Anyone know what batcar track system Incidence used on Mahe circa 2006?
Am cross eyed searching and can use a bit of help.
Cheers.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:53   #396

The roller bearing car system used on Mahe is a Zspar system. When I went to the UK factory last winter all parts were on the shelf.
1/4 Torlon balls are available from the internet and can be purchased without the "marine" mark up.
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:41   #397

Thank you Cuffy, very much.The plastic end stop for the bottom section of the mast track appears to be missing and the section dropped down the inch and just allowed the short gate to partially detach. Made a wooden spacer and all is fine.
Cheers
Old 12-09-2019, 10:55   #398

https://www.zsparsuk.com/fully---battened-mainsail-systems

Hope you get sorted out ok
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 14:27   #399

Well this is embarrassing.
Yesterday, I replaced the torlon balls in 2 of the z-spar track cars. Quite simple, really. The sail has SDA slide hardware and it is great...but...
I separated the suspect car by removing the screw that goes through the toggle and found wear so I replaced all the screws. I also cleaned and properly adjusted the inner tensioning screw plugs inside the SDA batten holders. Everything went back together splendidly until the last one, which I dropped and calmly watched an item with two flat sides bounce off the cabin roof and roll a meter across the deck beside the anchor locker and through the net beside the anchor. Plop. The bottom is 12 feet with a meter of fine soft mud.
I have found every part from the car to the tensioning plugs but not the plastic screw plug that accepts the M10 toggle bolt.
Suggestions? The picture show the parts...
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E8CBBBA-7E63-41C7-910E-564D01FD6725.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	200323  
Old 26-09-2019, 00:12   #400

Try the sailmaker. It looks like the fitting that was on my Mahe mainsail which was made by Incidence sails of France.
We now have a North mainsail which uses a completely different fitting.
Cheers
David
ardnagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 09:11   #401

While browsing I noticed a Mahe mast that seems to have a second set of spreaders above the first set.
Am I correct?
Was this an option?
If so when was it offered?
Available from Z Spars?
Pros/cons?
Blew up the jib in a squall 2 weeks ago and digging for information.
Cheers all, Martyn
Old 07-07-2021, 16:36   #402

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36

Anyone know what size on asym thats fits the Mahé? I am looking for an used one, so would be greatful if someone have some numbers for me.
Moon Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 18:22   #403

Boat: FP Mahe 36 Duo

Moon Bird. I've been down this road. No magic or recommended size but what works well is a 40-43 foot luff including the snuffer hardware if you use one. Leach dimension is whatever asym design. Foot...20-24 give or take. Proves to be a good balance and managable. All dimensions are give or take but its a good start. Make sure you set turning blocks as far aft as possible. I used the first leg of the last lifeline stanchions on both sides.

On the port side I installed a stanchion mounted turning block and Harken Snub Air with a cam cleat. Better option than a 5.5 inch tall winch to run into and avoid all the time. The Snub Air is a low boy ratchet mechanism that can also work like a winch up to 1000 lbs load. The starboard stanchion mounted turning block sheet goes to the coach roof winch. Clean install without a lot of stuff laying around.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers.... Kazamaran
Kazamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:22   #404

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36

Thanks alot for detailed info this will hell me alot. love it when I can get first hand experience. It seems like you have a clean installation for the asym, i have not Steen the Snub air before, looks like a very good hardware for this use.
Moon Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:38   #405

Hi all,
Has anyone managed to install a self tacking jib on a MAHE?
Was chatting with a friend with a Leopard and broached the subject and his reply was, cruising how often do you tack? Sailing in NW North America, a lot. I’m all about making things easier and easier (read getting lazier) and a thread on another forum piqued my curiosity.

BTW, my relocation of the D1-30 oil filters worked beautifully. Easy access, no mess and <2 minute filter change for about $5 with a filter that has 3 times the filter area and adds about a half liter more oil.

Cheers, Rufduck

Tags
mahe 36, paracelle