Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2008, 12:20   #31

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hi all, could anybody tell me the brand and model number (or size) of the jammer that is currently used on the Mahe's cabin roof? We would like to get a second one for the reef lines.
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 13:07   #32

Spifurl, to Kev & Jo

Hi Kev & Jo,
He have some experiences with the spifurl, not so much since the wind adheres to Murphy's law. When we had to go NW, the wind was NW. Now we have rounded the point of Bretagne, and the wind turned to N and then NE. Because we have to go NE. So if somebody tells you that you can not control the weather, well it seems we can.

We had no instruction about the use of the spifurl, since on the day of the sea trial there was too much wind.
The first day we left La Rochelle, we used it briefly. I was disappointed because it seemed that you could only use it in a narrow band of apparent wind. Later we have learned better how the use it, and now I am more enthousiastic:
The spi collapsed at lower apparent wind figure because I did not want the spifurl to rub on the railing. Now I discovered that you should raise the spifurl halyard as high as possible (with a short knot on the top), so that the bottom of the spifurl come higher; and does touch the railing later.
Also we learned that the spifurl forestay should be loosened during sailing. Gives a better performance. And of course tightened during rolling.

We found that the spifurl can be used up to 80 degrees true wind, corresponding to 50 degrees apparent wind. That is quite good I think, Also we even reached a maximum speed of 80 % of the true wind speed; e.g. in 6 knots of true wind, boat speed was 4.8. This was the best situation, normal was 70-75 % of wind speed. We made e.g. 7 knots speed at 10 knots true wind.

Handling is easy. You can do almost everything singlehanded, only during furling and unfurling it is nice to have a second person on the sheet.
For furling we head straight down the wind, and furl with the spi behind the main sail. We were told not to use it without mainsail. On furling we try to keep little force on the sheet, so that it is rolled loosely; I have the feeling this is better for the sail. We also remove it immediately after use.

A long story. I hope that we can learn something from your experiences. Can you answer?
For all other: while the spifurl is presently in the price list, it is also possible to order with gennaker from FP. I do not know what I would have chosen, gennaker or spifurl, had I known that both are possible. Also I do not know why a spifurl is easier to handle that a spi sleeve system; this seems cheaper to me.

Our spifurl is not very white! See the photo.

Kind regards,
Jef
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miss Poes 1- 234 resized.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	3907  
Old 17-06-2008, 13:51   #33
DtM

Jef,

Did you choose those colours !!!!

Does the spifurl have a continuous line furler or a drum ?

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 16:21   #34

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
photo

Thanks, Jef & Marin. I have emailed you my address. I wonder if they will throw in the dinghy that is attached to the davits?

JohnC
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 06:53   #35

Boat: Mahe 36
Hi Jef,

I have the same results you have had, good, thanks for the tip about the main, will try that next time, should make things easier. I am also going to rig a small double block near the furling head to keep the line tighter to the drum.

John - fingers crossed for you mate, you never know and well worth having.

Kev & Jo

https://www.mahe36.blogspot.com
kev&jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 16:19   #36
DtM

Does anyone know whether the factory is now fitting continuous line furlers off the bowsprit. For both the spifurl and the gennaker the furling line is very long.
Old 29-06-2008, 17:55   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Continuous Line Furler

Hi Daniel,
We have just fitted a Profurl NEC 4T furler to our Orana, what a change and improvement on the drum furler, very easy to use. Do not think the factory will fit this furler but the Newport boys may arrange a swap from drum to endless if you ask.

Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 19:55   #38

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Daniel

Speak to Geoff of Quantum Sails (gcouell@quantumsails.com) about the Profurl endless furling system.

JohnC
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 04:20   #39

DtM, if you order the spifurl FP delivers this with a Facnor model 2500 continuous line furler. Works well.
Jef & Marin
Old 26-07-2008, 21:41   #40

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
JC, Thanks for the info on the LP tank - How's your bimini? When you get a chance I'd like to see a picture - so we can get ideas on changing ours. Lightning damage so far totals $15,000. It took out all the elctronics, lights, engine panels and two exit spots in the hull. Larry
Sorry to hear about your boat being struck. Had a boat nearby us get hit last month in Marsh Harbour and it burned to the waterline. Was curious as to if your boat was grounded? And were you onboard when it hit?
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 21:15   #41
DtM

We are trying a Facnor 1500 with our gennaker. i will let you know how it goes.
Old 28-07-2008, 10:26   #42

Boat: Mahe 36 KOKOMO
SurfNRG

Mahe's are not grounded. It happened at the dock, when no one was on board. I belong to a sailing club, and we had a speaker come and speck about lighting and different ways to protect youself and your boat. But he said that any kind of a strike would in most cases take out all electronics. He did have some thru hull devices that mount above the water line and connect to the mast, or ground on a grounded system. They should keep from having the under water exits. I plan to install some soon.

I just returned from the Bahamas, so I have included a couple of pictures. The big suprise is I won class in the Around the Turtle race at Green Turtle Abbaco. Competion was two Corsairs F28, of course the one didn't show for the start, and the other one pull out of the race because his mother boat was draging ancor. But A first place is still a first place.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	932555688306_0_BG.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	4468   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6280014.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	4469  

LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 10:38   #43

Boat: Mahe 36 KOKOMO
Sail numbers

To any one interested, here is how my sail numbers turned out

Larry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6270004.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	4470  
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 11:02   #44

Boat: Alura 30
Congratulations Larry.This must have been a lot of fun.We just return from our trip in the keys,and had to go through some pretty scary lightning storms with no problems other than me beeing shocked pretty good while at the wheel. kind scary,so keep us informed on what ever you will do to protect your Mahe.So far we have plans to go to the bahamas next April and May. JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 13:18   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Bahamas Race

larry,Eileen
Bravo.
Whatever the reason you came first.
Didn't you use to sail a Corsair before? That will be Irony!
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36, paracelle