Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 18:34   #1

Rocna or Manson Anchor ?

We are ready to get a new generation anchor to replace our CQR, but wonder about its compatibility with the anchor storage system of our Fountaine pajot catamaran.
Does anybody have experience with fitting this type of anchor on a Bahia 46 or Belize 43?
What size anchor did you chose?
Old 06-03-2010, 21:31   #2

Boat: Privilege 39
In general, I think the bows on cats are well suited to large anchors such as these. I just fitted a 60# Manson Supreme on our Privilege 39, and there was no problem at all. I don't know if your FP is different or similar. All the sizing guides suggested a 45# for our boat, so I got a 60# instead, and I'm really glad I did - Though to be fair I haven't used it yet, the larger anchor is in no way oversized for the roller...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
As far as I know scotte the FP pulls the anchor up under the bridgedeck and not onto the bows.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:19   #4

Quote:
the FP pulls the anchor up under the bridgedeck and not onto the bows.
Which is the reason for the question
Old 07-03-2010, 06:44   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Maybe you should pm Fullsail. He has a Bahia also and my have an opinion. I've chartered a Bahia and can't see any reason why any anchor would have a problem. It pulls up well below the netting and there is plenty of room for the shank.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:02   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
FWIW, I have a 44# Delta on my Belize, works fine. Looking at the Rocna & Manson, I don't see a problem. I do know that my Fortress FX55 will not work, it would require rework of the roller/guard, the flukes are too long and hit the fiberglass.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:50   #7

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
As far as I know scotte the FP pulls the anchor up under the bridgedeck and not onto the bows.
Ah, OK sorry, please ignore my previous comment, sorry for posting incorrect/useless information.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 21:51   #8

Boat: Orana 44
I have a 33kg Rocna installed in 2008 on my FP Orana. The size was recommended by Rocna NZ, it fits okay but its big and you can check the size on the Rocna website. We anchor all the time as we never use marinas, two seasons from the UK to Greece. Last year more than a hundred consecutive nights at anchor from Spain via Italian waters to Greece. Its been totally reliable, needing re-laying once or twice. I researched the information on the web and chose the Rocna over the Supreme as there is no slot in the shank - various opinions expressed was that the slot could weaken the anchor over time. Yes they are expensive but less so when viewed than one night in an Italian marina could cost 100-150 Euros a night!
Old 28-03-2010, 03:53   #9

Thank you, Oranaman, that's exactly what I wanted to know. We cut a profile of the 33kg Rocna in cardboard, based on the published dimensions, and figured it should fit through the hole. Is it held nicely secure without hitting the hull while sailing?
We have one on order, should get it in a week or 2.
Old 28-03-2010, 04:51   #10

Boat: Orana 44
Yes the Orana has an adjustable rope which holds the anchor tight on the roller. I should mention that as the anchor comes up through the roller there is a tendency for the shank to smash into the fibreglass directly above the roller. My solution to this is to cover up the fibreglass with a piece of right-angle stainless. This explanation hopefully will be obvious once you install the anchor and try to retrieve it. I don't have a photo and can't readly take one as the boat is currently 9000 miles away.
Old 28-03-2010, 14:29   #11

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We used a Manson 60 lb. with our 30,000 lb sailboat, we have anchored in one hurricane and a number of strong gales. Without a doubt it is the best anchor we have ever used. Never, ever dragged and will set so fast it stops the boat dead... I love the anchor...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 12:49   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia, Maestro. 46' Ta-b
Re: Rocna or Manson Anchor ?

Island Mike - I aim right behind you with your anchor. We have a Rocna and it is great. Never moves. The Manson is a direct copy of the Rocna (this is well documented on the Rocna site) so will work the same.

Russell

If you ain't living on the edge, you are taking up too much space
Russell7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 13:05   #13

Speaking just about the manson supreme, like others say it stops the boat on a dime and holds it there. I have a quite oversized model (60 pounds for a 14 ton boat) on an all chain rode. There are some good shots over on the rocna wiki in regards to mounting options if you have standard rollers; the rocnas and manson supremes have similar roller issues.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:45   #14

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Belize 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire View Post
Thank you, Oranaman, that's exactly what I wanted to know. We cut a profile of the 33kg Rocna in cardboard, based on the published dimensions, and figured it should fit through the hole. Is it held nicely secure without hitting the hull while sailing?
We have one on order, should get it in a week or 2.
We also have a Belize and are considering the Rocna 33kg. How did you get on with it?
Belize 43 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17   #15

Belize 43 crew,

We are quite happy with our rocna 33 on the bahia 46. Like the other posters, we have anchored extensively all over the places (from Asia to the med) with it and only dragged twice: once when we brought up a big canvas bag and the other time when we brought grass up.
The size is optimum for the boat and just fits as you can see on the pic.
We have had no problem keeping it tight under way nor hitting the fiberglass when getting it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics rocna 001small.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	52338  

Tags
anchor