Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 11:13   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Sliding Door Latch Mechanism

Does anyone have a source for the latch mechanisms on the sliding doors (salon to cockpit). These are on my 2011 FP Orana, but they are probably in use on many other models (my condolences to those owners ).

I was able to reconnect the first failure using some stainless wire and creative drilling but now the plastic has fractured and the latch is extremely hard to operate.

I can't see any manufacturer's name and only one number stamped into the plastic slider within the mechanism - 723.7296 and one number stamped into the metal portion of the slider within the mechanism 721.3099...internet search came up empty for those numbers (at least that looked like my pieces).

Thanks!

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	169440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2738.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	169441  

Name:	IMG_2739.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	169442  
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 17:29   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot
Re: Sliding Door Latch Mechanism

Try this website uglyfishinc.com they have the Lipari hardware for their sliding doors which is this link Mobella Talon Sliding Door Locksets for Marine, Boat, and Yacht Applications
Seapatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:17   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstadt View Post
Does anyone have a source for the latch mechanisms on the sliding doors (salon to cockpit). These are on my 2011 FP Orana, but they are probably in use on many other models (my condolences to those owners ).

I was able to reconnect the first failure using some stainless wire and creative drilling but now the plastic has fractured and the latch is extremely hard to operate.

I can't see any manufacturer's name and only one number stamped into the plastic slider within the mechanism - 723.7296 and one number stamped into the metal portion of the slider within the mechanism 721.3099...internet search came up empty for those numbers (at least that looked like my pieces).

Thanks!

Pat
We have purchased this lock from Fountaine Pajot in the past. Unlike the newer doors with Mobella this latch was actually provided by the door manufacturer in Europe.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:39   #4

Seapatience and Captainjay, thanks for the responses!

Pat
Old 16-06-2018, 14:57   #5

Boat: Lipari 41

Check out Technal, another cat thread had similar problems , l believe it is a UK company
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 07:15   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

My original plan for mine was to have someone machine mill aluminum replacements for the black plastic part, but on further inspection I don't see a way to get the black plastic out of the white metal without severely misshaping the white metal. I'd like to replace the stupid pull tab with a full pull ring that a large finger can fit into.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 08:41   #7

Loud Music, if you disassemble the latch mechanism and remove the wedge stoppers from one end, you can slide the plastic back, then up through the opening at an angle, without bending or distorting any metal.

After being locked out of the salon on a recent bumpy transit, we got the door to work again until we hit port. I then switched the entire mechanism from the "active" door (port door) with the opposite door, just to have a somewhat more reliable mechanism in the active door - we'll see how long this one lasts before I resort to wiring it together as I did on the other door.

In the mean time, the bottom rollers have begun to seize/develop flat spots. To get at those, at least as far as I can tell, I'll have to remove the bottom frame that holds the glass...not something I'm looking forward to doing. Any suggestions are welcome!

Pat
Old 29-01-2019, 09:39   #8

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstadt View Post
Loud Music, if you disassemble the latch mechanism and remove the wedge stoppers from one end, you can slide the plastic back, then up through the opening at an angle, without bending or distorting any metal.

After being locked out of the salon on a recent bumpy transit, we got the door to work again until we hit port. I then switched the entire mechanism from the "active" door (port door) with the opposite door, just to have a somewhat more reliable mechanism in the active door - we'll see how long this one lasts before I resort to wiring it together as I did on the other door.

In the mean time, the bottom rollers have begun to seize/develop flat spots. To get at those, at least as far as I can tell, I'll have to remove the bottom frame that holds the glass...not something I'm looking forward to doing. Any suggestions are welcome!

Pat

Did you ever get your sliding door rollers working better? If not, I have a "fix" I used on my Salina.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 13:06   #9

tornadosailing, nope, never got the rollers replaced and am interested in your fix - please share it.

Pat
Old 29-01-2019, 14:06   #10

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. My apologies for that. The good news is that after spending some $300 trying various means of getting this thing fixed, this fix only cost about $30 and doesn't involve modifying the rollers or door so my fix is completely removable.

I bought a strip of teflon from Mcmaster.com part no. 8735K11. It's a teflon bar 1/8 thick by 1/2 wide and 48 long.

Remove the door. There is a guide on the back side of the door top and bottom that will need to be removed. Using an allen wrench, raise the rollers all the way up. Then lift the door off the bottom track and remove the door.

Lay the door down so you have good access to the bottom. Start working the teflon strip into the end of the door, over the weather strips and under the rollers. Not sure if I'm saying that right, but you want the teflon between the weather strips and the rollers. Once past the first set of rollers, you'll have to grab the end of the teflon with needle nose pliers and continue pulling it through the door and under the other set of rollers, while also keeping it over the weather strips. Once the teflon is completely through the door, trim it to length.

Clean the track and hose it down with SailCoat. Lots of SailCoat. You can spray the teflon as well. Reinstall the door. Using the roller adjustment screws, adjust the door to be perfectly vertical. Adjust the lock striker as necessary. Reinstall the rear door guides.

It's still a heavy door, but takes about half the previous effort to slide.

https://youtu.be/ovfYtvn78cc
Old 30-01-2019, 06:20   #11

Thanks very much for the recommendation, I'll take a look and see if our Orana doors have a similar construction at the bottom!

Pat
Old 30-01-2019, 07:20   #12

It's the same brand door, so the basic door construction should be the same. The main difference is that you have two doors that slide apart, where I have a large single door that latches against a door jamb.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:18   #13

The FP Orana 44 latches are available from:
SRS Sud Roulette Services, 61 Impasse Des Tamaris, Le Diamont Bleu, 83140, Six Fours les Plages.
Tel: 06 26 55 18 01
Email: contact@sud-roulettes-services.com
srs83@orange.fr
The device is made by Technal,
Ref. 3062BLANC
Code of plastic part 723 2796
Code on alloy part 721
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200303-173742.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	209999  
borana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:31   #14

I just ordered new sliding door latches for my Orana 44. I added the pull escutcheon additions to preserve the plastic nubbin and avoid future breakage. SRS's website catalog is very efficient and payment is easy. Check the CB box for making a credit card payment. Once you've chosen rhe replacement parts in your shopping cart, submit and an email will be generated providing a price bid. Once accepted, your account will be processed once a ID code is transmitted.
borana is offline   Reply With Quote