Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 18:22   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44
Spinnaker or Gennaker or parasail vote please

Hi Guys,
My boat has provision of a bow sprit to which I can fly a sail off, but which type?
Should I buy a spinnaker, a gennaker or even a parasail to which you probably all will have your preferences.
So please let me know your preference that would suit tradewind sailing?
Also what size and material would also be helpful.
Thanks in anticipation.
laserkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 18:39   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Spinnaker or Gennaker or parasail vote please

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserkeith View Post
Hi Guys,
My boat has provision of a bow sprit to which I can fly a sail off, but which type?
Should I buy a spinnaker, a gennaker or even a parasail to which you probably all will have your preferences.
So please let me know your preference that would suit tradewind sailing?
Also what size and material would also be helpful.
Thanks in anticipation.
Maybe if you dropped that removable bowsprit overboard, you wouldn’t add this complication to your life.

Can anyone explain what phenomenal benefit they provide to command their inexplicable price differential over other free flying headsails?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 19:17   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Maybe if you dropped that removable bowsprit overboard, you wouldn’t add this complication to your life.

Can anyone explain what phenomenal benefit they provide to command their inexplicable price differential over other free flying headsails?
improves reaching capabilities. If carbon gennaker, then upwind in light winds as well. Boats like L 400 that are underpowered with white sails gennaker ideally carbon is a must.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 20:00   #4

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
improves reaching capabilities. If carbon gennaker, then upwind in light winds as well. Boats like L 400 that are underpowered with white sails gennaker ideally carbon is a must.
Ugh, just noticed I dropped the critical “parasailor” from my query - I get asyms, gennakers, I currently have 5 used asyms I need to check for fit to my boat.
Why are parasails so expensive? what unique capability of a parasail explains its price premium.
I sail a Hans Christian - I obviously have no problem with bowsprits, considering the length of my own.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 20:23   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Ugh, just noticed I dropped the critical “parasailor” from my query - I get asyms, gennakers, I currently have 5 used asyms I need to check for fit to my boat.
Why are parasails so expensive? what unique capability of a parasail explains its price premium.
I sail a Hans Christian - I obviously have no problem with bowsprits, considering the length of my own.
i do not have one and never sailed one. But

i sailed with same boat as ours with 125m2 parasailor, and we did wing on wing with 96m2 sail. They got there 8% faster. So pretty much increased sail area is responsible, no better ail flow. AS speed increase proportional with 3rd root from sail area 125/96=1.3 1.09**3 =1.29, so bit slower than one would expect

It is set and forget sail, however you need reinforcements. it holds shape better and handles gusts better.

My opinion, if you really like sailing, you do not need it. Spi is good enough.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:13   #6

Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot

I love my Parasail. The wing acts as a soft batten and holds the sail open in very light air. It also minimizes the blow of a sudden gust and I can keep it up in heavier air then a normal cruising chute. It’s also easy for me to single-hand.
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:35   #7

Boat: Beneteau

I actually had to pull the spin halyard down due to its tangling my other lines and I don't miss it at all. But then I sail primarily in Newfoundland and lack of wind is rarely an issue. More likely it's always blowing right on your nose.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:43   #8

Light gennacker to be footed at the windward bow !

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:50   #9

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Parasailor, I join Sailorlous comment. It is a very forgiving Spinnaker. why so expensive? Have a look at one, the wing consists of multiple single parts joined together by hundreds short sewings and ropes and, a surcharge for the patent. Bcs of the wing it fills very softly. Some set it in the Canaries and take it down in Antigua. The wing lifts the bow instead of pressing it down, results in a smoother ride. If you can afford, I'd vote for Parasailor. Gen is another topic, depends where you sail. Parasailor is great for circumnavigation
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:45   #10

Boat: Colegate 26

Usually a bowsprit is used for massive asymmetrical sails like a code 0, which often are furling as well. Symmetrical stuff like a spinnaker or parasailer can be flown from the bows.

We have a Facebook group for Orana 44 owners if you are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Orana44
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 14:55   #11

Boat: FP Helia Evo 44

A gennaker is great to have in the sail wardrobe for off the wind and light winds. Parasail ours are great downwind sails but can be very difficult to douse in stronger breezes.
Have you looked at Elvstrom Blue Water Runners? They combine elements of gennakers and parasailors in a furling sail.
Sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:47   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
A gennaker is great to have in the sail wardrobe for off the wind and light winds. Parasail ours are great downwind sails but can be very difficult to douse in stronger breezes.
Have you looked at Elvstrom Blue Water Runners? They combine elements of gennakers and parasailors in a furling sail.
The elvstrom likes to unfurl itself in a stronger gust...know 2 they destroyed them quickly and got into big troubles...
With a bowsprit recommend a high cut code 0 which is cut to be boomed out too, made from heavy spinnaker material. Great universal sail which you can fly from reach till downwind (with the pole).
Parasailor is great for tradewind sailing, wait till you find a used one that fits your boat....just got one for 2500Euro
These 2 sails and you won’t need more.

Very cheap (700 or 900Euro) easy to set up, small package and a good emergency sail too is the round sail...also picks up the bow and dramatically reducing rolling. That’s why I got it in first place for my old 145cm draft ketch and I really like it.
https://aideenhenry.wixsite.com/petima/downwind-sailing
Using it since a year, usable between 150 and 210 degrees in 8 till 40kn.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, gennaker, lease, sail, spinnaker