Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2019, 09:20   #16

Boat: Fountain Pajot Saona 47
Re: Swim platform

FYI, for my Saona on order, I went with the Hydraulic Platform. The weight limit is plenty to hold a dingy OR two people. I believe there is a screw to raise the platform manually, but don't yet know if that screw turns a pump, or if it is strictly a mechanical device. Also, I had concerns with the teak that is standard, getting the worse for wear after being constantly dipped in salt water and sun exposed. It may be the ideal wood for that, but I asked for synthetic teak to be installed on mine to minimize the maintenance. Lastly, some of the earlier platforms didn't have many fasteners attaching that lattice work to the frame, so in heavier seas, some of the platforms were being broken loose, causing the dingy to test the straps holding it all down! Even though the platform does rise above the bridge deck, those swells will hit the bottom of the platform. I understand that the factory has addressed this by installing more fasteners, but I do not have access to the details.
jimglasair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 06:11   #17

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

IF I ordered the platform I’d replace all the teak with Starboard, but I’d still rather rely on davits with an election winch.

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 14:22   #18

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
Look, this is just an opinion, but there is some science in it and 45 years of experience with 19 major yachts, some for living on some to fix up for profit.. But:

Personally would not have it.... I have a 4.3 Metre centre console hard bottom inflatable with a 50 horse power tilt Honda. It is my water taxi, beach combing special, trolling for fishing, diving, exploring, like a second yacht.. I have hydraulic winches, but on the heavy duty davits on the SABA 50... If the hydraulics were to fail, I can run a line up to power winches to haul it up then I have four safeties on pad eyes with snap shackles that snap on to hold it in place securely for travel. And a boom van sort of set up with four way purchase blocks and clam cleat to haul it over tight so it does not move off shore.

If the hydraulic fails on the swim step style, you are stuffed, like no way to lift it...

If my electric hydraulic winches fail on the davits, I can run the line to the other winches to get it up, and away I go...

And I don't like the swim platform idea in in a following sea... Good Luck, but I would not have it...

Pictures below, davits and dinghy, and the biggest float I found beach combing in the Whitsundays this year, or ever... Like waaaay to big to get aboard... (It was actually a HAZARD Bouy for Surprise Rocks, washed ashore in Turtle Bay Whitsunday Island, and I alerted the right people to put it back...)

Saba 50 "Serenity" hull number 15, and I customizing it "Til Death do Part"
Hello Gourmet Yacht Lovers...

It hit me like a ton of brick, a real problem with the lifting platform. Now I have copied and put my judgement on it, but I did not think of what is potentially the WORST problem. I am making this a repeat Topic, as this concept hit me and it is of GREAT IMPORTANCE.

I live aboard primarily at anchor, about four months a year, cruising the coastal islands inside Great Barrier Reef (GBR). A few years on my Helia 44 and now on the Big Sister the SABA 50 with hydraulic winches on davits.. Look, here is the major problem that did not occur to me..

I go ashore for hours, my thing is beach combing remote islands, and you can see some of the great finds in the Topic IMPROVEMENTS TO THE SABA 50. Anyway, beach combing remote islands, fishing, snorkeling, exploring, I am often gone for hours even up to about half the day. Some times you return with wind waves, current changes against tide, and you have 2' waves commonly, even up to 3', with the boat tunnel allwing those waves right through to the davits. This has happened so many times, that I usually leave a lot of slack down on the hydraulic winches so I can hook up with the dinghy bobbing up and down, sometime quite severely. These wind waves or current tide waves are severe sitting in the dinghy, and you are really being slammed around trying to hook up, so that is why i leave a lot of slack. Then I pull myself over to step off the 4.3 meter centre console onto one of the hulls, all good.

I have seen pictures of the new 42, and I just had a Saona 47 come right by my house with me on the SABA and it had the new swim platform. It hit me, wow, that swim platform is going to be moving violently in those condition, even dangerously trying to get your dinghy up... It is nice to say well I will just tie up and wait for conditions to smooth, but sometime you have to leave in bad conditions. That platform is really going to be a hindrance to trying to load up your dinghy..

Kind Regards, Steven on the SABA 50 "Serenity"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11a16.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	185632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saba 6.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	185633  

Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 08:27   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

The FP Dinghy Lift Platform increases the living space of the catamaran.
Most have a small pocket remote control, so you and the wife can enter into the dinghy when it’s high and dry up on the lift and then lower yourself into the water and automatically just drift off the platform.
We have done this many times and it makes this platform well worth the money just for this ability alone.
We bringing the dinghy back up on the platform in wind and waves is not an issues as the platform raises so fast that it minimizes any bumping around.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 16:50   #20

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Can you provide the brand and model of that GORGEOUS and very SEXY dinghy?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:01   #21

160kg lifting capacity of the platform seems like it would not hold a very big dinghy. What are the types of tenders (length/weight/motor/console?) that folks have actually used on the Astrea 42 or other FPs?
mfortinberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:26   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Sail & Motor Yacht Catamarans, NEEL Trimarans, ILIAD Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfortinberry View Post
160kg lifting capacity of the platform seems like it would not hold a very big dinghy. What are the types of tenders (length/weight/motor/console?) that folks have actually used on the Astrea 42 or other FPs?

Our choice for the Elba45 was a Highfield Classic 340 with a Suzuki S/S 20HP outboard.
Old 08-12-2019, 21:37   #23

Boat: FP Bahia 46’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
No worries Calm Seas....

The only reason I take the time to Post, is the off chance I can help others along. No one was there when I started, no Internet, no Forums like this, so I made all the mistakes the hard way to learn...

My advice is based on that 45 years experience in the larger yachts.. Glad to be of help... And no, I would have the hydraulic winches on the standard davits like I have now, for all the reasons stated. You got it!!

Kind regards, Steve now Blessed to be on a Saba 50
Hey I remember you ,
Hopefully you have not drop your Genaker in the drink and lost your halyard on your Saba :whist ling:
Adonf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Peter, My understanding is that the platform will support up to 160kg when operating up or down, and when not functioning, parked, will support up to 600kg. The frame is polished stainless with the timber deck attached. The platform when in the fully up position is actually well above the water , the underside of the platform aligned with the underside of the bridge deck of the boat.
Whoa that is quite a career change👍👌
Old 09-12-2019, 12:30   #25

Hello Gordon ,
Very comforting for us FP owners to know that we can now count on your expertise as a Marine Service Provider , I shall follow your posts with great interest
Cheers 🤗🤗👌👍🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷
Old 20-01-2020, 07:42   #26

One Day more...I am looking at purchasing a used Lucia 40. Can I ask why you are moving up to an Astrea? Also, can you provide your experience with sailing heavy seas? Is the eck bridge clearance sufficient?
timbrown441 is offline   Reply With Quote