Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 21:53   #1

Boat: Mahe 36
Throttle cables

Hope someone can help.

I have throttle cables that run from the helm station over, under, around and through the bowels of the boat to each engine. Paired with these are shift cables. They terminate in each engine compartment with a nice shiny push/pull rod that originates inside the cable jacket and extends 8-10 inches to a threaded end that mates to the terminal block attached to the throttle valve on the injector pump (Volvo Penta D1-30B).

Does anyone know how the pushrod connects to the cable inside the jacket?

Thanks, Martyn Adams
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 22:37   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Throttle cables

I cut one open a Teleflex cable once. As I recall the threaded rod was hollow at the cable end. The cable was pushed in and the rod crimped on. In fact the cable was not a cable but a solid wire. This was thirty or more years ago so my memory may be wrong.

Why do you ask?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:11   #3

Boat: Mahe 36
Re: Throttle cables

Have just cleaned and rebuilt the brass "cube" connector that ties the throttle pushrod to the throttle arm on the engine. After breathing new life into the cube I noticed that the pushrod turned easily where it entered the cable jacket. I presumed it was simply threaded onto the inner cable or wire but when I tried to undo it, it just spun. I shrugged and reassembled the linkage, adjusted engine idle to specs and engines ran perfectly.
Yesterday, they performed as expected and I shut them down when I reached my destination. 10 minutes later the port engine would not start. Turned over fine and tried but exhibited fuel starvation or nearly the same thing, throttle stuck in a lower than idle position. I set the idle speed with the threaded bolt throttle stop.
Anyway, I changed the fuel filter (another first for me) and pumped the bleeder button 6-10 times and as Linda was working the throttle at the helm station, I THINK I saw the linkage move at the transmission but not at the throttle. So, coincidentally, as Linda advanced the throttle, I manually advanced the throttle arm and the engine started and ran at high rpms. I motioned to Linda to retard the throttle and all performed normally.
I checked for fuel leaks and returned home, docked and shut down the boat, all required numerous throttle changes.
Now, it is a confidence thing for both of us and I need to be able to assure especially Linda, that it was just a plugged filter (it happened during our maiden voyage from Grenada to Florida on the other engine and wish now that I had changed the other other prempterally) and not an issue with the linkage.
Phew, sorry for the lengthy post.

Martyn
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables, rot