Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 15:27   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44
To gen or not to Gen

I'm in the process of purchasing my Orana 44 but it has no generator. Question, should I install a generator or invest in solar and Lithium Ion batteries instead? The type of sailing that is planned is to be mostly off the grid and not connected to shore power to top up.
laserkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 16:16   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: To gen or not to Gen

You’ll be fine with the solar and batteries. That said, if you want reliable air conditioning, you’ll need to get a generator. That’s the only thing left that absolutely requires a generator.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 16:58   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

In the end you will want/need some type of generator. I have given up on my inboard diesel generator because got tired of fixing it, but still run my Honda EU2200 20+ minutes a day.

I have 640w solar and fancy batteries
Old 16-03-2021, 17:02   #4

With 750watts of Solar and 800ah of lifepo4, we still need a generator from time to time.

Our Honda 2200 is perfect.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:24   #5

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

It only takes a couple of overcast windless days to regret not having a generator on board.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:29   #6

If you motor often enough, you can also use the alternator to top of the batteries. Not ideal to do twice a week, but no drama if you have to do it every now and then. Next time just motor-sail when the wind is light.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 09:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserkeith View Post
I'm in the process of purchasing my Orana 44 but it has no generator. Question, should I install a generator or invest in solar and Lithium Ion batteries instead? The type of sailing that is planned is to be mostly off the grid and not connected to shore power to top up.
There are lots of detailed threads here where owners describe how much electricity they use each day, how much they motor, what equipment they are using that draw electricity, their climate, and how they power air cond. if they have it and all their other draws of electricity. From those threads you ought to be able to get an idea what you require in terms of needing a generator or not, lithium or not, how much solar, and all the different approaches made to create enough electricity.

The best way is not have air cond. and go with fans, wind scoops, etc to stay cool, if possible. Many don't need air cond when anchored out and if they have air cond. only use it in a marina, connected to shore power, when there is no breeze. Obviously the negative of a generator is the noise for you and your neighbors. To minimize the noise you need a lot of lithium batteries and the means to charge the lithium rapidly.

An alternative to a stand alone generator is go with an Integrel Solutions alternator / generator that is powered by the aux engine(see links). The video at the link below will help get an idea of what is involved to figure out what you need for specific needs, wants and desires.

https://integrelsolutions.com

Another option is increase the size of the alternators on your engines or add a second alternator to one or both engines using standard type alternators, combined with enough solar and batteries that will work for you.

It is not uncommon people that have a 5KW+ generator use a portable generator much more.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 09:36   #8

Quote:
A good source of info to help figure out your needs are and how how to go about getting what you need set up as well as possible are the videos provided by Pacific Yacht Systems.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCau...pGsEwZx6bHxHpQ
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 10:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to forum, Keith.

A generator is the devil’s work .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 10:09   #10

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

I recently had a long discussion with the owner of a custom catamaran company along these lines. His position was that unless the boat's electrical system was designed specifically for lithium / solar, and of sufficient capacity, that a generator is still something that nice to have.

Personally, I like having the genset on board. We are in the process of converting our setup to lithium and increasing our capacity and solar substantially. Goal is to be able to run at least 2 and maybe 3 of the aircons from the battery bank for hours at a time.

Currently we have about 650 aH of AGM and only 400W of solar. We also have a 12kW diesel genset. By the time we are finished, we will have almost 1900 aH of lithium and over 2500 watts of solar. I can still envision the occasional need for the genset.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 11:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

There are conflicting forces here. On the one hand batteries are much better, solar is much better, and electronic devices are more and more efficient. On the other hand, demands creep upward. In the 1960s thoughts like hot showers and ice cubes lay somewhere between fantasies and hallucinations. Even if it just means tucking away a suitcase Honda, with its gas tied to the rail, recognize that you are going to find new uses for electricity. That, and yeah, finding that you have no working way to start the engine or call for a tow some morning will get your attention.
Old 17-03-2021, 11:44   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

How can anyone even begin to answer this question unless we know your needs and location....A/C in the Northwest NO, A/C in the tropics..YES and so on.
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 12:25   #13

Boat: Colegate 26

I have an Orana 44 and used the 9kw generator so rarely that when it had a failure we just removed it and moved the 1200Ah 12v battery bank to the generator locker. We also have 2100W of solar.

There are indeed days when we need to run an engine for a couple hours, but we just use that to move to a new anchorage. I'd like to put dedicated house battery alternators on each engine as well, just to really get maximum diesel efficiency.

Having a little 2000W gasoline generator on board might be handy if you find you often are low on charge. And it will take up far less space.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 16:07   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
You could always pick up a Honda 2000i later if the solar and lithium don't quite cut it - hold off until you understand your needs versus the solar array. And, you can take the Honda to the beach!
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:39   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTemp View Post
I recently had a long discussion with the owner of a custom catamaran company along these lines. His position was that unless the boat's electrical system was designed specifically for lithium / solar, and of sufficient capacity, that a generator is still something that nice to have.

Personally, I like having the genset on board. We are in the process of converting our setup to lithium and increasing our capacity and solar substantially. Goal is to be able to run at least 2 and maybe 3 of the aircons from the battery bank for hours at a time.

Currently we have about 650 aH of AGM and only 400W of solar. We also have a 12kW diesel genset. By the time we are finished, we will have almost 1900 aH of lithium and over 2500 watts of solar. I can still envision the occasional need for the genset.

0n a 47 Sanoa 1900AH and 2500W solar should give you 4-5 days reserve, means 4-5 days whithout sun, in the batteries. on anker you will never need your genny. on long passages maybe very occassionally but big alternators/2nd set on your engine will be enough. Suggest to put aircon in your owners cabin only and you are fine. Run it during peak hours to cool your cabin down, sun provides most you need via solar and then only lowest setting over night of the batteries.

1900AH Lifepo4, what batteries are you using? I would go to 2x1000AH (so 8 pieces) Winston cells and put then to 24V/1000AH, 12V 1900AH is hell to route the needed cables sizes. The less batteries the better to monitor/track and with Wiston you will have approx 2400AH as they are underspeced
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote