Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 06:29   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Transtom extension to 39-40ft, someone done it?

Hi all,

did anyone perform a transtom extension on the Mahe 36 to 39/40ft?

advantages:

- reduce hobbyhoursing/pitch
- adding payload (, its not huge but every bit helps for a world cirucum)

- you could integrate per bow a approx 60-100l fuel tank, raise range under motor

- easier bording of the dingy

I would do it Seawind 1000 style like SMJ in post 8 of this thread

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2759325
with seawind that extension was very common and done by a lot of owners.

In this post you also have a 41ft Lipari owner who did 2ft transtom extensions and would do it again. Talked to a naval engineer I know and he also said its doable the same way then seawind and you will see the same advantages on the Mahe he said.
especially on small cat under 40ft this brings a lot he said.

And no i don't want a bigger cat, the Mahe is perfect, lightweight and sails very well compared to other cats (actually in this price range with same age of cat there is non that sails better and offering the same liveability for liveabaord then the Mahe). But improving it makes sense, plan to do it myself.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 19:37   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36
Re: Transtom extension to 39-40ft, someone done it?

Hi CaptainRivet,

I recently bought a Mahé and was thinking the same thing. I have several other projects to tend to first, so it'll be down the road, but let me know if you proceed. I actually looked at a Voyage 43 with 3' transom extensions in Fort Lauderdale a couple months ago (still for sale it looks like: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...46-43-7477246/). The owner said it sped up the boat considerably as well.
Old 22-03-2021, 14:39   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
And no i don't want a bigger cat, the Mahe is perfect, lightweight and sails very well compared to other cats (actually in this price range with same age of cat there is non that sails better and offering the same liveability for liveabaord then the Mahe). But improving it makes sense, plan to do it myself.
You will spend a few thousand on it, while at the same time reducing resale value by maybe 10-20 thousand.

I have owned both the Mahe and the 380. Both are good boats and for pottering around in the Med I would not care which one.
But for a circumnavigation I'd choose the 380 over the Mahe anytime.

Although heavier than the Mahe it sails equally well in good weather and better in chop as it is less prone to hobby horsing. More storage and more carry capacity plus a bit nicer finish and much better ventilation.

Or maybe look at a Lipari, prices have dropped recently.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 04:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
You will spend a few thousand on it, while at the same time reducing resale value by maybe 10-20 thousand.

I have owned both the Mahe and the 380. Both are good boats and for pottering around in the Med I would not care which one.
But for a circumnavigation I'd choose the 380 over the Mahe anytime.

Although heavier than the Mahe it sails equally well in good weather and better in chop as it is less prone to hobby horsing. More storage and more carry capacity plus a bit nicer finish and much better ventilation.

Or maybe look at a Lipari, prices have dropped recently.
What 380? Athena? Or you mean Laggon 380?
Well a Lagoon 380 sails much worse then a Mahe, much heavier, wide bows and upwind. Yes in a chop due to length more hobby horsing but extensions should cure that. 380 dated interior with much more wood, means prone to water and moisture damages and more maintenance required. Thats what i like about the Mahe, nearly no panels were moisture and mold can hide, which definitely get water damage one day and Laggon is full of it. Lagoon balsa core, not really a fan of it...Mahe foam core and unsinkable.

What prices drop? market is dry like the sahara and prices skyrocketing...only Caribbean you can get deals but upcoming hurricane season and Trinidad Tobago is closed and ABC about to close. Only Options are Grenada and then Panama...then deal is not really worth the risk.
Old 24-03-2021, 04:37   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I mean the Lagoon 380, not the Athena. I have owned both the Mahe and a Lagoon 380, and I'd choose the 380 anytime over the Mahe for long distance trips.

Maybe you are looking at the wrong side of the pond. In the Med prices are lower now for both Lipari and Lagoon 400.
There was an 2011 Lipari sold for 130k euro recently
https://www.yachtworld.de/core/rendering/print-boat.htm?url=almissani&boatId=3701666&officeId=317 &isPLS=0

2011 Lagoon 400 for 169k euro.
https://www.yachtworld.de/core/rendering/print-boat.htm?url=selymaryachts&boatId=3619613&officeId =106285&isPLS=0
All Ex charter obviously. Similar deals are still around

A refurbished ex-charter has a defined market value. A heavily modified boat with transom extension not so much. Such a boat appeals only to a very special kind of buyer. Many prospective buyers wont even look at a boat that was modified.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I mean the Lagoon 380, not the Athena. I have owned both the Mahe and a Lagoon 380, and I'd choose the 380 anytime over the Mahe for long distance trips.

Maybe you are looking at the wrong side of the pond. In the Med prices are lower now for both Lipari and Lagoon 400.
There was an 2011 Lipari sold for 130k euro recently
https://www.yachtworld.de/core/rende...Id=317&isPLS=0

2011 Lagoon 400 for 169k euro.
https://www.yachtworld.de/core/rende...106285&isPLS=0
All Ex charter obviously. Similar deals are still around

A refurbished ex-charter has a defined market value. A heavily modified boat with transom extension not so much. Such a boat appeals only to a very special kind of buyer. Many prospective buyers wont even look at a boat that was modified.

the 2013 Mahe had a massive osmosis problem, so ditched the Mahe...sadly. was exactly what i was looking for....

the 2011 Lagoon 400 seemed a good deal, i cannot find anything close to that...

the 130k Lipari a friend looked at, run down dreamyacht charter cat. run aground several times, interior trash, deck looked bad, engines to be overhauled, half equipment missing, the other half very bad condition,without tax....total makeover needed you end up in 220K+x and have all the work, no thank you.

contracted a 2005 Lavezzi owners version, never charted/rbnb etc., brand new 2xD2-50 Volvo incl. saildrives, huge list of repairs/overhaul done last 3 years (with engines around 90kEuro), whole interior sparkling condition, for 158k incl. tax. waiting for survey on 20th may as boat yard in mallorca only works 1 day a week