Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2018, 04:32   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Velox Plus Prop Anti-Fouling?

Hi all, getting ready for a bottom job and wanted to know if anyone has any recent experience with the prop system called Velox Plus...

In the past, I have tried the very expensive "Prop Speed" which was difficult to apply (well) but did perform for just about a year before wearing off. Not worth the $200 I remember paying for it. I've also given regular bottom AF a shot, which lasted about as long as it took me from the yard back to the home dock. In our last hauling, I simply polished them till they glowed and then applied about six coats of Turtle Wax (yes, the car polish), which seems to have lasted about a year before spotting started to appear - I have been diving the props regularly, polishing them with a green pad and have been able to keep them smooth and growth free, with an occasional barnacle to scrape off if I've been sitting for a while.

Thanks!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 04:40   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Velox Plus Prop Anti-Fouling?

Pat,

We have used Velox for two seasons with reasonable results. Not perfect, a little slime and an odd string of green weed, but better than the nearby rudder with lots of Tiger Extra antifoul paint. I am just about to clean the spare prop off and re-coat with Velox ready to fit in a weeks time when we come out of the water. The slime and weed come off easily by using my bare feet because I can just reach the prop with my head above water.

The two small tins, one primer and one antifoul paint are probably going to last a decade at our current use. the spare prop means I can follow the instructions exactly in the shed rather than crawling around in the boatyard mud and gravel.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 15:40   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Re: Velox Plus Prop Anti-Fouling?

Thanks much Pete! I may give it a try!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling