Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2014, 06:06   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36
Water System Leaks

The past winter in the Southern Maryland area had some very cold nights, and I thought with several oil filled radiator heaters and Pink water system antifreeze in the tanks I would be OK. The boat was berthed in a slip that had fairly good shelter from the wind, but still discovered pink water in the starboard bilge. Apparently had not put enough of the stuff in the tank. I thought I had pretty much drained the water system but may not have emptied the port side tank as much as I thought. I thought I had discovered the leak when I checked the transom shower head and found that the plastic had a split in it and it was dripping pink anti-freeze. Changed that out and did not notice any additional water in the bilge ... initially. I topped off the water tanks and turned on the pump.
More fresh water in the starboard bilge. I have checked all fittings under the sink and around the water heater. Hopefully not many of the Mahe group out there have had this issue, but any suggestions on where to check first will be greatly appreciated.
A side note, I recently noticed that my bilge pumps were not wired for constant power, allowing full atomatic use (like the ones in the engine compartments - they have a 3-position breaker on the panel). I had them rewired to allow me to turn them on as needed.
rgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 06:34   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Water System Leaks

rgary,
The pressure release valve on the hot water tank will leak a bit when making hot water. I always keep a container attached to it and empty it once a month.

Also make sure that you always shut off your outdoor stern shower valve, as the spray handle shut off is not strong enough to hold constant water pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_P8270380.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	86847   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_P8270375.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	86848  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 10:37   #3

Cotemar,
Thanks, next trip to the boat will check and see if that helps. I suspect that I have another leak somewhere in one of those hard to get at places. Where is the water system pressure pump located on the Mahe's (I have the Trio version with twin tanks). Is it behind the starboard passageway hanging locker?
Old 29-09-2014, 06:48   #4

Mark,
Thanks!
I spent most of Saturday verifying the source of the leak and obviously now know where the pump is. The water was coming from the connection of the deck shower to the blue cold water line. Turning the in-line valve near the hot water tank off solved that problem. I see why you relocated that valve.
Gary
Old 22-04-2018, 10:04   #5

Major Leak Trooubleshooting

My 2009 Mahe has had a bit of a problem keeping fresh water from its system out of the starboard bilge. During a recent stay on the boat (at our home dock) my wife and grandaughter said they had run out of water during a shower,I was not with them on the boat. I had filled the water tanks full 2 days before so was surprised. When I returned to the boat I immediately checked the bilges - port dry, starboard full. I refilled the tank to half on the gauge and noted that water was accumulating in the starboard bilge. The tank and most connections to it are not very accessible, where exactly is the outlet from the tank located?

Related issue maybe - I am aware of a leak in the clear filler tube from the deck inlet to the top of the tank - can see that when looking from inside anchor locker and also can see the water sheeting down the hull to the bilge under the lav.

Worst case scenario - has anyone replaced a water tank in a Mahe?
Old 09-03-2019, 13:39   #6

Problem solved -
Found the only source of water in the bilge to be when I filled the tank, the water tank filler tube was leaking. The factory routing allows water to accumulate in the tube between the deck and tank, similar to a sink's P-trap. Add extreme cold weather for a week or so, the plastic gets brittle and ice does the deed. Now replacing that tube was a bear.

Tags
leaks, water