Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2024, 07:12   #16

Boat: Athena 38
Re: what anchor do you have on Lavezzi, Lipari, athena, Belize with pics if possible

Athena 38, 20kg Spade with 100m of g7 8mm chain.

Purchased to replace a 25kg Danforth with 12mm chain which dragged in 45 knots.

Have had for 3 years now without incident up to 53 knots.

Reuired a new bow roller to fit on the Athena. It seemed like the best non roll bar anchor except the Sarca Excell which was not available in europe at that time.
Boatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:32   #17

Re: what anchor do you have on Lavezzi, Lipari, athena, Belize with pics if possible

Belize 43
We have a 73lb Rocna Vulcan that fits our hull well as the anchor sits against the boat, aft of the trampoline.
3 years full time in the Caribbean and the anchor has never dragged. Highly recommend the Rocna Vulcan!
VickiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:33   #18

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

On my Venezia 43 I had a 67lbs Danforth with 200 ft 5/16" galvanized chain. Very good anchor for the East Coast. For my next catmaran who was only 40ft I bought a 71lbs Bugel Anchor and had als 3/8 chain but 330ft in length. Used during 2 circum navigations including anchorages on the Falkland Islands and around cape hoorn.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 14:12   #19

Boat: Belize 43

We have a 35kg Rocna with 100m of 10mm chain on our Belize.

Only used it so far in Coral sands or mud in French Poly but it sets immediately and holds like we're chained to the rock.

Tested it 40 plus knots, didn't move an inch.
pelicans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 02:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
What do you have at the moment and what's wrong with it?

Probably the best anchor I have seen recently is Ultra Marine but their sizing would indicate that they oversize it for security.

You may think I'm a scaredy-cat or whatever, but my choice is a 45kg ultra. For a catamaran of about 9to and 44ft.
The calculation of Ultra results in “only” 35kg (which should already be oversized). However, if I increase the length by just 2 ft to 46ft and even reduce the weight to 8 tons, I end up with 45kg. So a lot depends on the wind resistance. With two headsails, a main with lazy bag, an unknown anchorage and anchorage ground and possibly a bad scope but a decent wave or residual swell in combination with a wind shift, I prefer to go for the higher weight (located near the mast when underway). In addition, many holding tests with different anchor weights show that from about 50 kg (+/-) the digging-in behavior improves abruptly.
I want to be able to stay securely seated in winds of up to 60kts or, if it does slip unexpectedly, to dig in again - even when sailing backwards at 5kts.
The anchor harness is like a life insurance policy - don't forget that! At least that's how I see it...
(Preparations for circumnavigation)
The second anchor will have 12kg (or maximum 16kg). I'm still not sure what really makes sense...

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:05   #21

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Thank you all, that gives a lot food for thought.

What i completely forgot is the chain stopper i added and is cruicial that the windlass works well (on Lavezzi chain tends to jump of the gypsy when you get in the chain not really straight in and chain stopper prevents that by inlining it before gypsy) but that limits the shank length of anchor i can use.
Means max 10cm longer then my 20kg delta has would fit. Longer means anchor whould need to stick out more infront the bridgedeck which is a nogo as this would end up like the Lipari with the 33kg Rocna i had on my pontoon waiting for a wave to rip it of its anchor roller and smash into bridgedeck.
But if i see the weight difference posted by shrew i know why he needs that, didn't know the Lipari is such a heavy tank with same sail area and same bow shape but nearly 2/3 more weight as Lavezzi...thought is around 1t heavier due to the fixed roof above cockpit.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 05:31   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Thank you all, that gives a lot food for thought.

What i completely forgot is the chain stopper i added and is cruicial that the windlass works well (on Lavezzi chain tends to jump of the gypsy when you get in the chain not really straight in and chain stopper prevents that by inlining it before gypsy) but that limits the shank length of anchor i can use.
Means max 10cm longer then my 20kg delta has would fit. Longer means anchor whould need to stick out more infront the bridgedeck which is a nogo as this would end up like the Lipari with the 33kg Rocna i had on my pontoon waiting for a wave to rip it of its anchor roller and smash into bridgedeck.
But if i see the weight difference posted by shrew i know why he needs that, didn't know the Lipari is such a heavy tank with same sail area and same bow shape but nearly 2/3 more weight as Lavezzi...thought is around 1t heavier due to the fixed roof above cockpit.
I had a similar limitation on my boat with shank length (unless I wanted to move the windlass) and also a limitation on roller to anchor tip distance. That's how I ended up picking the Vulcan instead of one of the other good performers available. Out of the good choices, it was just the one that fit the boat best, especially in larger sizes.

Measure how much shank length you can handle from the roller to the end of the shank and see how that compares to the shank length of various well rated anchors in various sizes. That'll give you a good idea of what fits best. In general the rollbar anchors tend to have longer shanks than the non-rollbar new gen anchors.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 03:43   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38

Athena, SARCA #6, 22kg
Longy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 04:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
I have 20kg Lewmar delta, worked fine till around 45kn I had max on anchor. It starts to get rusty and would need a regalvanzing...not worth it.

I am also in final prep for the cat for 10 years world circum, also remote places so I need a good one. And if you check out panope's anchor test videos and his overviews my 2 favorites are Viking 20 or mantus M1 or M2 in 45 or 55lb one
But no test can replace experience on the same or close vessel, also wanna know the weight used...saw one Lipari with a 33kg rocna but install was catastrophe just waiting that a big wave rips it of the anchor roller and smash it into bridgedeck...25kg seem max you can adjust current setup to....
Viking strongly recommends their Viking 15 but thats approx sams fluke area then my delta but only 12kg....for a costal cruiser I would take that but for my purpose that feels too small when **** hits the fan...
3rd Backup and tandem main anchor or stern anchor will definitely be a Viking 10. That can hold my 8.5t fully loaded cat over 40kn due to Vikings spec and Panope's test of it confirms this.
If you have a delta now, anything from the range of new generation anchors will be a vast improvement. In the Caribbean, with no tidal scowering of the seabed and lots of lots of seagrass, an anchor with a sharp tip and most of its weight over the tip is essential for penetrating. Delta, Bruce and CQR are notoriously poor performers in the Caribbean.
I am not a fan of the Mantus. They seem to work OK but they are huge. We have used Spade anchors for the last 20 years. 30kg on a 19t boat. The more it blows, the more it digs in. No roll bar to hinder deep penetration when you really need it. It often sets so well that we have to drive over it to break it out. This is with a 1.7kw motor on the windlass that simply stalls when trying to recover the anchor, when the chain is vertical. Very impressed with Spade but hate the crappy galvanising
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:14   #25

Boat: FP Mahe 36 Duo

lol……everyone swears by their anchor. Why not. It’s a big investment! However, it really depends on what you’re anchoring in; sand, grass, mud, slit. In my opinion, they all have their sweet spot. For instance, in Chesapeake mud, you can get a good hook with anything that will grab mud. In silt mud, all the roll bars have difficulty due to a resistance to burying. For overall dependability, I’d say any anchor with a heavy weighted spade. There are others, but the tried and true are Mantus and Rocha. You’ll never find me at the pier. I’ve set my 20kg Rocna at least 700 times in 9 years. East coast, Chesapeake, Bahamas. Have never had a failure in winds to 6O knots. Went through a micro burst in Virginia one year. Anchor didn’t move at held but lost a bow bridle shackle.

Of course there are also other considerations to anchoring that have everything to do with the perceived value of your sexy anchor. Taking the time to set and bury it before you back down on it. Good ground tackle along with the anchor, etc. Any anchor is bad if you don’t take the time to set it properly.

I would also add that the anchor’s character to RESET is very important. That’s key in wind and tide changes. Again, the tried and true are Mantus and Rocha.

Good luck. Remember, there’s no such thing as “set and forget”
K
Kazamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 09:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazamaran View Post
lol……everyone swears by their anchor. Why not. It’s a big investment! However, it really depends on what you’re anchoring in; sand, grass, mud, slit. In my opinion, they all have their sweet spot. For instance, in Chesapeake mud, you can get a good hook with anything that will grab mud. In silt mud, all the roll bars have difficulty due to a resistance to burying. For overall dependability, I’d say any anchor with a heavy weighted spade. There are others, but the tried and true are Mantus and Rocha. You’ll never find me at the pier. I’ve set my 20kg Rocna at least 700 times in 9 years. East coast, Chesapeake, Bahamas. Have never had a failure in winds to 6O knots. Went through a micro burst in Virginia one year. Anchor didn’t move at held but lost a bow bridle shackle.

Of course there are also other considerations to anchoring that have everything to do with the perceived value of your sexy anchor. Taking the time to set and bury it before you back down on it. Good ground tackle along with the anchor, etc. Any anchor is bad if you don’t take the time to set it properly.

I would also add that the anchor’s character to RESET is very important. That’s key in wind and tide changes. Again, the tried and true are Mantus and Rocha.

Good luck. Remember, there’s no such thing as “set and forget”
K
Funny how the new Rocna looks so much like the Spade anchor. Thr Spade was the first new generationmwnchor thst everybody copied the design details from. Rocna did use lead in the tip so needed a roll bar to ensure it would set.
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:34   #27

I would certainly find something in the 33kg area - bigger if it would fit. At 3AM in a squall you never think "I should have gotten a smaller anchor".

You're right that getting a good fit to the roller is important. Most manufacturers have printable files that you can trace on cardboard and cut out. I did this for 3 anchors when I bought an anchor for my Leopard 50. I ended up with a 99lb Spade.

The shank length is often the biggest problem. You want the anchor to fit tightly against the roller if at all possible. For me the height of the shank also had to fit between the roller and the deck.

The SV Panope anchor test videos are the best ever made. Much more reliable than opinions on the internet.

Do look at the Vulcan. It's shank is quite short but very curved. Works on rollers that others won't (and visa versa).
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 14:43   #28

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Thanks again everyone.
Meanwhile found the Lavezzi owner group on facebook and most used is the rocna 25kg one which fits the standard setup but due to my chain stopper i cannot use the anchor swivel with the 25kg rocna.

Looks like on early Lavezzi with opening hull windows the 20kg danfoss type was the factory anchor, on later ones with fixed hull windows it was the 20kg Delta.

From Panope's anchor evaluation only the viking 20 fits all bottoms and really have no weaknesses in performance. Wish i could test it....

Costwise mantus 25kg M1, rocna 25kg and vikings 20 are about the same +/100Euro.
Shank length Rocna 678mm, mantus M1 645mm and viking 765mm...means viking won't fit.

Whats really strange with viking the 20kg is in all dimensions very close to 33kg rocna and mantus.
The viking 15 has 635mm and is also in all other dimensions comparable with the 25kg mantus and rocna...its just 10kg lighter....thats what Viking recommends is even upgraded size...not comfotable with that though.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:43   #29

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If shank length is the limiting concern, what about a non-rollbar anchor like a Vulcan, Mantus M2, Spade, etc? Many of them have shorter shanks than the rollbar anchors and may fit better for you.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Belize, lipari, Lavezzi