Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2024, 06:46   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
what anchor do you have on Lavezzi, Lipari, athena, Belize with pics if possible

Hi,
I am looking for a new anchor for my Lavezzi and curious which types and also weight of anchor you have installed on Athena, Lavezzi, Lipari or Belize.

How do they perform and how do you have them installed, if possible pics please.

My favorites are Viking and Mantus M2, has anyone fitted them?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 09:50   #2

Re: what anchor do you have on Lavezzi, Lipari, athena, Belize with pics if possible

FP Athena: LOA: 38.05 ft Beam: 20.67 ft Displacement: 12,320.00 lb

FP Lavezzi: LOA: 39.10ft Beam: 21.40ft Displacement: 13,228.00 lb

FP Lipari: LOA: 39.21ft Beam: 22.15ft Displacement: 21,605.00 lb

FP Belize: LOA: 42.65 ft Beam: 22.97ft Displacement: 18,960 lbs

IMHO, I'd be looking at a 20KG/44lb anchor and 5/16" G4 chain.

Rollbar:
Rocna*
Mantus M1*
Manson Supreme*

Non-Rollbar:
Rocna Vulcan*
Mantus M2
Spade

* Denotes anchors I have used extensively.

Of those I've used, I would choose any of them again. I have a bit more confidence in the rollbar models and lean more towards them. The roll bar simply doesn't work with through pulpit models. If I can fit a rollbar, I would.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 21:45   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: what anchor do you have on Lavezzi, Lipari, athena, Belize with pics if possible

Athena 38 Kobra 2, 16kg. Came out on a par with the best in the practical sailor tests. 13 years now and in Croatia conditions works very well especially on a hard bottom and changing wind direction.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 00:23   #4

Boat: Fountain Pajot Venezia 42

As we are underway the whole year and very seldom in a marina I choose a 33 Kg Rocna, 10mm chain, 1500 Watts Lofrans winch on my Venezia 42. I choose this for easy of my mind and to sleep with a good feeling. Only slipped once last year when the wind was changing from 35 Knots north to instantly 35 Knots south in a thunderstorm. But at this conditions you watch your anchor anyway. it is very uncommon to re anchor, just drop it in, reverse with 2000 Rpms and it sticks :-)

Edit: I know this is probably overkill but it helps me sleep :-)
Damir36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 01:53   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Hi,
I am looking for a new anchor for my Lavezzi and curious which types and also weight of anchor you have installed on Athena, Lavezzi, Lipari or Belize.

How do they perform and how do you have them installed, if possible pics please.

My favorites are Viking and Mantus M2, has anyone fitted them?

What do you have at the moment and what's wrong with it?

Probably the best anchor I have seen recently is Ultra Marine but their sizing would indicate that they oversize it for security.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 06:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
Athena 38 Kobra 2, 16kg. Came out on a par with the best in the practical sailor tests. 13 years now and in Croatia conditions works very well especially on a hard bottom and changing wind direction.
Kobra2 is basically the same as i have now, delta type and Kobra is the own brand of SVB if I remember right.
Old 27-04-2024, 06:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
What do you have at the moment and what's wrong with it?

Probably the best anchor I have seen recently is Ultra Marine but their sizing would indicate that they oversize it for security.
I have 20kg Lewmar delta, worked fine till around 45kn I had max on anchor. It starts to get rusty and would need a regalvanzing...not worth it.

I am also in final prep for the cat for 10 years world circum, also remote places so I need a good one. And if you check out panope's anchor test videos and his overviews my 2 favorites are Viking 20 or mantus M1 or M2 in 45 or 55lb one
But no test can replace experience on the same or close vessel, also wanna know the weight used...saw one Lipari with a 33kg rocna but install was catastrophe just waiting that a big wave rips it of the anchor roller and smash it into bridgedeck...25kg seem max you can adjust current setup to....
Viking strongly recommends their Viking 15 but thats approx sams fluke area then my delta but only 12kg....for a costal cruiser I would take that but for my purpose that feels too small when **** hits the fan...
3rd Backup and tandem main anchor or stern anchor will definitely be a Viking 10. That can hold my 8.5t fully loaded cat over 40kn due to Vikings spec and Panope's test of it confirms this.
Old 27-04-2024, 06:43   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

A few of the manufacturers of new gen anchors give detailed measurements on their websites and a few even have templates to print so you can make a cardboard mockup. That might be useful in determining what will fit and what won't.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight aspect as far as boat performance, especially if the anchor is hung from the main cross beam and not all the way forward. In the grand scheme of boat weight, even 20 or 30 lbs of extra anchor isn't all that significant. It's not hard to find that much weight to remove to make up for it either by going to smaller, higher grade chain, or finding some less useful stuff on board to remove.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 06:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
A few of the manufacturers of new gen anchors give detailed measurements on their websites and a few even have templates to print so you can make a cardboard mockup. That might be useful in determining what will fit and what won't.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight aspect as far as boat performance, especially if the anchor is hung from the main cross beam and not all the way forward. In the grand scheme of boat weight, even 20 or 30 lbs of extra anchor isn't all that significant. It's not hard to find that much weight to remove to make up for it either by going to smaller, higher grade chain, or finding some less useful stuff on board to remove.
The anchor is recessed on Lavezzi between the hulls at the bridgedeck, so actual weight here counts even less. On the other side new style anchor not the weight is important but the actual fluke seize area.
From the weight of the cat and seizing charts a new style 10kg class or max 15kg class fits, so putting 20kg class is already one size above max recommended. And that due to both viking and mantus give holding power for the past 60kn hurricane conditions which is my actual requirement for the main anchor plus holding in as much different bottoms possible.
But because its ressed eg for tandem anchoring or in some situations its better to handle it manually to get it 100% right in the dingy, and then weight counts, 20kg is the max there.
Well the Mantus m1 45lb is 550Euro while Viking 20 is 899Euro...
Old 27-04-2024, 06:54   #10

I'd consider 20kg to be a little on the small side for a 40 foot cat honestly. That's getting to the size of boat where man-handling the primary anchor is just not practical unless it's under-sized.

My 38ft monohull powerboat has a 33kg on the bow and that's only 1 size above recommended. I'd expect you likely have similar windage (accounting for the rig).
Old 27-04-2024, 07:28   #11

Quote:
I'd consider 20kg to be a little on the small side for a 40 foot cat honestly. That's getting to the size of boat where man-handling the primary anchor is just not practical unless it's under-sized.

My 38ft monohull powerboat has a 33kg on the bow and that's only 1 size above recommended. I'd expect you likely have similar windage (accounting for the rig).
Its lightship.is 6.3t and fully loaded(all gear, all tanks full, proviaoned...) i am at 8.5t, payload allows 9.2t.
Quite low windage, its the old style ones with rounded deckhouse where they still looked after that a cat sails well too and not only a swimming hotel with 2 hulls and a flying bedsheet as decoration:-)
15kg class is what Viking and Mantus did spec for mine.
Old 27-04-2024, 07:39   #12

The deckhouse, etc. may be low windage, but you'd be surprised how much windage a mast and rigging has at anchor. Especially with a jib on the furler.
Old 27-04-2024, 10:20   #13

Quote:
The deckhouse, etc. may be low windage, but you'd be surprised how much windage a mast and rigging has at anchor. Especially with a jib on the furler.
Lazybag with mainsail is worse. Just had both of to fix/service and was surprised how much windage that caused. The genua was hardly noticable but Lazybag really surprised me.
And i don't have a huge stack of cars piling up at the mast (even with the rest of sail), maybe 50cm...the 40ft ovni next to me has double which also lazybag covers.
Old 27-04-2024, 10:45   #14

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

My cat is a little bigger but lighter 44ft, <8t loaded. Primary is a 20kg Bruce 50m 10mm + 200m 5/8 rode. Second anchor is ali Spade 10k 10m 10mm + 100m 5/8 rode. Third is Fortress FX23 7kg, 5m 10mm + 50m 5/8 rode.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 11:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
My cat is a little bigger but lighter 44ft, <8t loaded. Primary is a 20kg Bruce 50m 10mm + 200m 5/8 rode. Second anchor is ali Spade 10k 10m 10mm + 100m 5/8 rode. Third is Fortress FX23 7kg, 5m 10mm + 50m 5/8 rode.
So the 20kg class seems right for me too...
Wow 44ft below 8t loaded with all liveaboard gear and tanks full? Wow whats that for a brand?

Tags
anchor, Belize, lipari, Lavezzi