Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 17:07   #1

Boat: Lagoon 50
What might be the fair market value of a well maintained charter boat after 5 years i

I am reviewing a proposed purchase of a 50 foot catamaran that would be put in service in a bvi fleet. (Not moorings or sun sail )

Assuming that the boat is well maintained.

What might a reasonable estimate be of the value of the boat after the five years has passed as compared to the original cost.

Is 50% a reasonable expectation?

Thanks for your input.
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 18:37   #2
DtM

Re: What might be the fair market value of a well maintained charter boat after 5 yea

About right I would have thought
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 18:42   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: What might be the fair market value of a well maintained charter boat after 5 yea

A key driver of thd number is whether the boat will get a "phaseout" refit such as thr one that the Sunsail/Moorings boats get.

I have worked with someone who wanted to buy a 5-year old boat out of Dream and it was in worse condition than a Sunsail/Moorings boat after a phaseout in which the owner expressed some interest (survey, etc).

Another key driver is how inflated is the initial purchase price.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 17:53   #4

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Helia 44 "AVALON" here...

Look, in all fairness I have been watching as I was thinking SABA 50 myself. I also have a Helia going on 2 years old... After 19 yachts, some personal, some on spec to make money, I have been watching this devaluation factor for the past 40 years. I have a fair idea, and it is roughly 10% per year but it slows down dramatically at about the 5 year mark and the previous Post was about correct except for:

Anything that is above and beyond normal gear, anything exceptional, you can get some additional value added. I mean big gear in good shape, that is above and beyond. For instance my Helia 44, I believe is the most well equipped Helia in the world. Someone will pay for a little more gear than normal if it appeals to them. Mine is virtually on a "Custom Yacht" scale with extra ventilation ports, two water makers 12 and 240 volt, a third back up Nav, 6 marine air units, ice maker, extra winch mirror image to port, custom canvas work mirror to port and sun shields, hydraulic upgrades, on and on and on blah blah blah.. like pages of extremes. It would either sell before ANY other on the market, or fetch a little more due to the extremes of luxury on board..

The other issue is devaluation of the Aussie Dollar by 30%, this can also be a factor so you have to have more than just the 10% devaluation in mind. Someone buying AVALON in American dollars, would be another picture for them in valuation. In my case, devaluation of the Aussie $ and my improvements I would venture a guess right now that AVALON would be no less that at 60% replacement at 5 years old...

So add something of value for extremes of gear, and then look at country currency in relation to replacement values in France, and you will have a better idea...

Kind regards, "AVALON"
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:58   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

A well kept Saba 50 could have minimum 50 if not 60 % of his original cost in 5 years. I sold my 7 years old Orana at roughly 65% of the purchase value. The boat was in excellent shape and althought chartered for this 7 years, I had added plenty of accesories that are not found in a classical charter boat, ie EPIRB, double AP, folding props, etc. İn addition to genset and A/C.

Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter