Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 17:31   #16

Boat: Nightwind 35'
1.6l VW Pathfinder Marine Diesel

My pathfinder VW diesel is a 1982 version and it is still a very strong engine and relatively easy to work on. For all the complaints about the timing belt on these things, it is about a 45 minute job to change one out with the proper tools, which cost about $45.

Also, the valves on this engine sit directly above the piston head and are not angled, so if the belt breaks the piston will push the valve straight up and most likely not bend it. This is unlike most interference engines where the valves are angled to the piston head and when the timing belt breaks the piston will bend the valve and warrant a "valve replacement job" which can get pretty pricey.

Mostly everything on these engines is mechanical which makes it nice to diagnose a problem. The injector pump is mechanical and priming this unit is simple. The fuel shut off soleniod is readily accessible in case it becomes a problem.

The only VW diesel parts I carry with me when cruising are 3 belts (timing, water pump, alternator), glow plug relay and fuel shut off solenoid. There's not a whole lot else that can go wrong with these units.

These are places I use to get parts:

VW Diesel Parts & Free Tech Help

VW Parts, VW Diesel Parts, VW TDI Parts @ Parts Place Inc.

Tags
diesel, marine