Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 16:29   #1

1.6l VW Pathfinder Marine Diesel

I have a 1.6l VW marine diesel engine ... a Pathfinder, that was completely rebuilt; new pistons, rebuilt injector pump, new bearings, new connecting rods, new water pump, new everything ... was rebuilt by my father, who is a certified mechanic in Canada.

The engine was going to replace the existing Pathfinder in my Kalik 40, but that project has hit some snags and the sailboat is no more ... so I am left with a new engine, built with only the best stuff. It comes with a new starter, 100A alternator and a new engine panel (tach, oil pres, water temp, voltmeter, alarm lights).

The engine has not been started, nor has the oil been filled. An oil cooler was added ... as was a remote oil filter, allowing you to install the oil filter in a convenient location for easy service.

I'm selling it along with the spares I planned to carry with me (extra starter, extra injection pump, extra injectors and pipes, some hoses, etc)

I am located near Daytona Beach, FL ... if you are interested I can post pictures.

I was hoping to get $6k for everything, I have well over $8k in it, without counting labor.

Let me know if you have any interest ... John Alonso (john.j.alonso@gmail.com) or on this forum.
Old 07-05-2012, 20:34   #2

Re: 1.6l VW Pathfinder Marine Diesel

Still have it?
scottsquared@earthlink.net
Old 07-05-2012, 21:04   #3
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Not that I doubt your fathers ability, but was a machine shop involved? $8000 seems like a bit much to have into a used engine considering what a new Beta motor goes for. I'v been dealing with vw 1.6diesels for years and my machinist would do all journals, pistons, ect. for $3000ish. Anyway I saw the listing and thought I wanted it until saw the price. Never run? It could knock like crazy and you wouldn't know till it was to late. Proof of top notch machine work might be a plus. You must know how often the rebuilt term gets thrown around incorrectly.
Old 07-05-2012, 22:34   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Here's my old one that I sold for $3K, after an upper end rebuild. They're good motors as long as one keeps an eye on the timing belt assembly.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:47   #5

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I bought a rebuilt Pathfinder, from Pathfinder, engine for $8500.

I don't think $8000 is overpriced, if you think so, make an offer, or stop pissing on his parade.

Yes you can have an engine rebuilt for $3000, if you have the engine in the first place. Do you expect him to sell his engine for the price of the rebuild? Give your head a shake. This is a 50 hp engine.

A used yanmar 30 hp goes for $3000, not rebuilt either.

Good luck with your sale.

Paul.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
This is a 50 hp engine.
Good luck with your sale.

Paul.
Actually, it's only 32 hp. It's an RPM motor (4000), not so much on torque as a regular diesel. It was designed for cars/trucks. I had to goto a larger prop shaft when I went to a yanmar 39 hp, way more torque.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:54   #7
cruiser

Actually Paul your little semi informed rant about my parade pissing isn't constructive to my interest in it's rebuild. If the OP's dad put all new parts in and a machine shop never cut, measured, bored, any journals than its not rebuild I'd wanna buy. Sure a great mechanic could put thousands of dollars new parts into a engine, but without a machine shop cutting crank and such. It's got a 50% chance of not having a long life. So my question stands. Is his dad a machine shop? Was any machine shop used? These issues make the difference between the one from pathfinder and someone who puts pistons, bearings in.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12   #8

Angry Re: 1.6l VW Pathfinder Marine Diesel

Snapped timing belt yesterday!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsquared View Post
Snapped timing belt yesterday!
Ooops! Time for a whole new head and related parts. That's if the pistons are OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3510.JPG
Views:	2756
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	40826  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37   #10

Yes, I went a little overboard. My apologies for the rant. I often assume we all have the same standards when it comes to honesty and quality. Sadly, as you correctly pointed out, it's not so.

Not quite semi-informed as I am a diesel mechanic, and would never "rebuild" an engine without having it sent to the machine shop. It's not rebuilt otherwise; it's "refreshed".

But if you want a "properly" newly rebuilt engine for $3000 (marinized with tranny) that would be rare.

There's no way to tell for sure if it was machined properly without taking it apart.

My pathfinder manual says 42 hp at 4000 rpm and 48 at 5000rpm. Go figure.

OP is asking 6K, I still think that's a good price.

Here are your comps.

volkswagen marine engines and parts

Paul.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post

My pathfinder manual says 42 hp at 4000 rpm and 48 at 5000rpm. Go figure.

Paul.
U R right. My bad typo! 42 hp. But 5000 rpm's
Old 08-05-2012, 08:00   #12

Strange, that...

I guess they had all kinds.

Nothing under 50hp here:

List of North American Volkswagen engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paul.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02   #13

Whatever the hp, good luck.

We sure had a lot of use out of ours, 7 years and nearly 3000 hrs, mostly charging batteries.

Cheers all.
Paul.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30   #14
cruiser

I hear ya Paul, good points. I've been doing VW's for 20 years (nothing air-cooled unless I'm begged). And it drives me nuts the way the term "rebuilt" gets used. I would hate for someone to buy it thinking it was 100% and find it not accurate later after install. Also I recently talked to beta on the phone and $6000 grand is so close to brand new I can't see why anyone wouldn't spend the extra for it.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56   #15

Agree on the misuse of the word "Rebuilt". That's why my post was so wrong. I never understood how colloquialisms get so far from the literal.

Beta have some very good prices, agreed. Quiet too.

I almost went with Beta for our latest build, but I have Fahrvergnügen running in my veins so I rebuilt, and marinized, an ALH (60hp sans turbo). Pathfinder supplied nearly all the marinizing parts. Now I'm way overpowered, if there is such a thing.

Just found a second for the other hull, another ALH for parts and hp continuity.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
diesel, marine