Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 14:31   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 15-30hp diesel engine for 27ft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Completely missed the point. With an 8hp diesel we had no problem motoring into a 25 knot headwind. Similar sized sailboats with outboards could not make headway under power in those conditions. Outboards may be a cheaper alternative but they are not a better alternative.

We are talking sailing here right? Where wind is a good thing.

My outboard does better than my 10 hp diesel did into a headwind.

It also sounds like you may have been in the ICW. Most outboards wouldn't have a problem in that. Mine definitely would not.

I would probably have trouble in 3'-4' bay waves 10 miles out in those winds, but then I would be sailing not motoring

Maybe your point is for those that really motor more than sail, a diesel is definitely necessary. I think we are making progress here
Old 23-01-2016, 15:14   #62

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Looking to purchase or trade something for a RUNNING diesel engine for my 27ft Bristol. It's ok if the engine needs some work, however it can't be seized and price must reflect the repairs that are needed.

I am looking to get a engine thats 15hp-30hp that is in the $1000 price range. Preferably located in Washington State, however its not a deal breaker if not(as long as your willing to crate it and ship it - I can cover shipping cost).

I'm tired of having the outboard on the back of the beautiful stern of the Bristol 27, plus also sick of having the engine pop out of the water when ever a wave passes.
Having had a 25 footer powered by outboard and a 27 footer powered by an outboard that I reconverted to diesel inboard here's my take.

For weekending the outboard is fine. If it seems to be popping out of the water too much it's either not set at the correct height or needs converting to an XL leg. You also don't need to hang off the back to control it. My outboard was fixed in the straight ahead position, was electric start and had the remote control option. Just like using an inboard. Advantages were I could pull the prop out of the water when sailing or moored, fuel economy wasn't that much worse than an equivalent inboard diesel and disadvantages were lowering and raising, living in fear of having to hang over the back of the transom to trouble shoot the motor (or give it a service) and the limited battery charging output. For me, popping out was rare but I'd made darn sure I set the outboard at the correct height off the drawings when I set it up. In fact I probably set it a bit too deep if anything, because I forgot to allow for squat.

Anyway, like you, I liked the advantages of the diesel ultimately over the outboard even though a 27 footer sits right on the border line of the two. Certainly for long distance cruising the inboard has it with fuel safety, economy, battery charging and serviceability.

I will point out you need to consider additional costs such as the prop, shaft, gland and bearings if you don't have these already. Then there is the fuel tank and filters and engine controls if you don't have these either. As to buying a second hand engine, I'd be very hesitant because there is A LOT of work involved in an install, and you need to make sure that anything you buy is going to go the distance.You either need to make sure the engine is good on the inside or bide your time and wait for that used, never used one that often pops up from an incompleted project.

Good luck!
Old 23-01-2016, 15:24   #63

Boat: Catalina 30

My last boat was designed for and OB and my current boat came with a 4 stroke honda. I understand not wanting and OB on your transom. For ours Purchased ($150) an old atomic4 and had it resleeved and rebult in in my garage. I personally would go with rebuilding what you have if possible. My boat came with no engine so I went with something that was popular and parts and advice were plentiful. I think the issue with some of the older diesels is support. I would base my pruchase with parts availability in mind.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-01-2016, 04:18   #64

Boat: Bristol 27

There are no hard fast rules concerning diesel vs outboard as in one is better for coastal cruising etc. It's just like everything else in sailing a compromise.

I recently saw an Alberg 30 with a Tohatsu 6hp xl shaft parked at a nearby marina

James Baldwin sailed his Triton twice around the world and his engine was a Tohatsu 3.5

Robin Lee Graham had an old sailmaster on Dove that he used for 3/4 of the way around.

And the list goes on....Contessa Bika also had an outboard on a bracket

These folks decided to cross the Atlantic on a Contessa 26 and had an outboard for power to come and go from the marina:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailmaster.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	117397  

Tags
diesel, engine, sail, sailboat