Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 10:43   #1

Boat: Freedom 32'
1971 30' Bristol Sailboat

The hull is great, mast is unstepped. It is on the hard at Galesville Yacht Yard, MD and all I am asking is for the payment of the yard which is about $950. Sails and rigging are fine. Will need new sails in two yrs or so. I just had the engine overhauled. Lights work.
Unfortunately, I got a bad surveyor. And didn't know the extent of the carpentry and fiberglass work it needed. The bulkhead needs to be redone and other spots in the interior. Someone who is handy will have a great boat afterwards. You can live on it and work on it at the same time. I just cannot afford to have this work done. email polandmarciano@gmail.com

Shoal Keel with Centerboard

Atomic 4 Gas Engine

Updated with Electronic Ignition

Updated with Electric Fuel Pump

Three NEW self-tailing winches

Raymarine Speed, Depth, Wind and Autopilot

Used only once to test function

Roller Furling

Sails – Main, Jib and Spinnaker with Pole

Alcohol stove/sink and ice box

Bottom barrier coated and painted

Sleeps 6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	127601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	127602  

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	127603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	127604  

Name:	IMG_0512.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	127605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	127606  

Old 12-07-2016, 01:14   #2

Re: 1971 30' Bristol Sailboat

Do you still have this boat
Old 12-07-2016, 08:22   #3

Yes, still have it.
Old 13-07-2016, 02:32   #4

I sent you two emails (I kinda forgot to put something in the first one) I hope that we can talk about this soon
Old 13-07-2016, 04:56   #5

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A fine boat. A shame you have to give up on her.
Old 14-07-2016, 20:38   #6

What a gracious offer…
Any idea what the estimated cost of repairs might be?
Curious

FE
Old 15-07-2016, 08:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat-earth View Post
What a gracious offer…
Any idea what the estimated cost of repairs might be?
Curious

FE
The bulkhead has to be completely rebuilt, my quote was $15,000. There has to be a guy out there who can do this himself.
Old 15-07-2016, 08:53   #8

Which bulkhead, the one between the salon and the forward cabin, under the mast? Is the plywood rotten?

Sounds like an absurd quote. That would be appoximately 150 hours labour, or nearly 4 solid weeks.
Old 15-07-2016, 09:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Which bulkhead, the one between the salon and the forward cabin, under the mast? Is the plywood rotten?

Sounds like an absurd quote. That would be appoximately 150 hours labour, or nearly 4 solid weeks.
Not sure, but I think forward because in a picture with the original survey there was a trash can placed in front of it. Yes the plywood is rotted.
Old 15-07-2016, 09:46   #10

Maybe it's because I'm only getting a few of the facts, but something here is fishy. The surveyor gave the boat a clean bill of health. Someone has then told you that the boat needs a new bulkhead (you don't know which one), and given you an absurd quote for repairing it (I have seen quotes for similar work on other boats for a few thousand dollars, in the range of 3 to 4K).

There's a site dedicated to the restoration of a Bristol 29, and the only way to properly inspect the mast step and the bulkhead was to cut away a section of the cabin sole.

If I was going to sell a boat that I'd just bought and had the engine overhauled on, I'd want to be a lot more sure of my facts. My concern is that you are being taken for a ride by the person proposing to repair the bulkhead. (my other concern is that you know a lot more than you are saying, but are being economical with the truth)

Please post some pictures of the problem area, and more info about what exactly you have been told.
Old 15-07-2016, 10:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Maybe it's because I'm only getting a few of the facts, but something here is fishy. The surveyor gave the boat a clean bill of health. Someone has then told you that the boat needs a new bulkhead (you don't know which one), and given you an absurd quote for repairing it (I have seen quotes for similar work on other boats for a few thousand dollars, in the range of 3 to 4K).

There's a site dedicated to the restoration of a Bristol 29, and the only way to properly inspect the mast step and the bulkhead was to cut away a section of the cabin sole.

If I was going to sell a boat that I'd just bought and had the engine overhauled on, I'd want to be a lot more sure of my facts. My concern is that you are being taken for a ride by the person proposing to repair the bulkhead. (my other concern is that you know a lot more than you are saying, but are being economical with the truth)

Please post some pictures of the problem area, and more info about what exactly you have been told.
Part of the problem...where the damage is, they placed a waste bucket in front of it so you can't see the damage.

I was so misled the surveyor sent me back my $400 bucks. Which was the right thing to do and he did it.
The price I was quoted included redoing the whole deck, which i've been told doesn't really need it. I was told to drill holes and fill.
I just cannot deal with it all, I'm in Midland Tx. Cannot get to Md and just want to let it go. I don't know anything about carpentry, but I would think that rebuilding an entire bulkhead and any interior rot would cost a lot more than 4k. I totally trust the folks where the boat is, they've been great. Their price is bringing the boat back to perfection. It's the people that put the boat up for sale and the surveyor that put me in this position. Myself too. I bought it sight unseen on the survey. And the people that sold it, never mentioned rot in the interior. So lesson learned.
Old 15-07-2016, 10:51   #12

Next time I suggest getting a copy of "Inspecting the ageing sailboat", and then doing your own inspection. You can do this instead of, or before, a survey. The goal here is to weed out the obvious duffers before going to the expense of a survey.

Tags
sail, sailboat