Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 15:14   #1

1989 Westerly Oceanlord 41' Center Cockpit Sloop

Project Boat:

1989 Westerly Oceanlord 41 ft. center cockpit sloop - $22,000.00 (In dry storage in Morehead City, N.C., U.S.A.)

This is a project boat, with plenty of work remaining to do inside and out; it is priced accordingly. These very seaworthy, British built, Lloyd's certified boats may sell from $60,000 to $170,000 or more, depending on condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	One.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	54802

Name:	Two.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	54803

The Oceanlord displaces 20,800 lbs., has a modern underwater profile with a cast iron fin keel, a quite large, nearly balanced, skeg rudder. With the rudder hard over, she can rotate 360 degrees nearly within her waterline. Yet her draft is only 5 ft., 6 in., and the masthead is less than 58 feet above the waterline.

For starters you may want to replace the sails and running / standing rigging in due course. The teak rub rail is missing.

I have almost all of the interior teak cabinet doors on board, but some of the cabinets faces, etc. need to be rebuilt. Patterns to replace the headliners are included. I have many of the lighting fixtures but they have to be cleaned up and reinstalled. There are no settee cushions or berth mattresses included in the sale.

The newer (circa 1994) Yanmar 3JH2TE turbo diesel runs strong and can drive the hull at 7 knots all day without help from the sails. It has less than 1600 hours. At that speed I estimate it consumes approx. 1 gal. of diesel every 4.5 miles, in benign conditions.

The center cockpit is protected by a high coaming and a racy windshield. The 8 ft. fiberglass dinghy and a new (less than 10 hrs.) 3.5 HP Mercury outboard are included, as are the Rutland 913 wind generator and its stainless steel mast with outboard motor hoist.

A newer three buner Force 10 propane stove with oven and broiler is installed in the galley. New mil spec stainless steel compression post and two new marine grade douglas fir lower chainplate bulkheads were installed in 2012. The teak surround for the compression and the teak column for the port chainplate bulkhead shown in the last photo are onboard and will need to be reinstalled. The folding dining table was built around the replaced compression post and was destroyed in the course of replacing the compression post.

An epoxy barrier coat was applied below the water line in 2010. The rudder bearings were replaced and a dripless shaft seal was installed at that time as well.

The boat is equipped with a Profurl headsail furler and a Lewmar Sea Tiger manual anchor windlass, as well as 150 feet of new, 3/8" BBB anchor chain and a used 60 lb. Lewmar CQR anchor. New Garhauer blocks on the boom vang. New Petit non skid on decks.

A new Shurflo potable water pump is installed with cold water plumbed to the galley sink only, otherwise the potable water plumbing is incomplete. There are two heads with holding tanks, showers, sinks and toilets that need to be replumbed. A new (still in box) Jabsco toilet rebuild kit is included for the aft cabin head. And there is a brand new (still in box) 11 gal. hot water heater.

The sails are in fair shape and the mainsail cover and UV protector on the furled headsail are only a year old.

An Autohelm autopilot thought to be in working order is included, but is not installed. Raymarine instruments (depth, knots, and wind direction) are installed but the wind direction vane is not installed at the masthead. A well used, but still servicable Scanmar Monitor windvane and new mounting kit are included in the sale but not yet installed.

Some Yanmar spares (belts, filters, etc.) are included in the sale but my other boat parts, and my tools, provisions, books, charts and personal items are not. Cash sale, as is, where is, without any warranty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	06-10-12 031.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	54574   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-10-12 032.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	54575  

Name:	06-10-12 033.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	54576   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-10-12 034.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	54577  

Name:	06-10-12 035.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	54578   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-10-12 036.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	54579  

Old 13-02-2013, 17:52   #2

Boat: None
Send a message via Skype™ to luzbria
Re: 1989 Westerly Oceanlord 41' Center Cockpit Sloop

Hi Seaofmirth, Am very interested in your Project Boat, Please can you send more detailed photos or other information direct to me at patronne41@yahoo.co.uk
Regards
Brian
Old 14-02-2013, 22:42   #3

Here is the text of my Craigslist ad which has some additional information re the boat:

This is a PROJECT BOAT, with plenty of work remaining. It is priced accordingly. Price reductions are not likely in the near future.

Depending on condition, these very seaworthy, British built, Lloyd's certified boats may sell from $60,000 to $150,000 (USD). The Oceanlord displaces 20,800 lbs., has a modern underwater profile with a cast iron fin keel, a large skeg rudder. Yet her draft is only 5 ft., 6 in., and the masthead is less than 58 feet above the waterline, all within I.C.W. limitations.

The more notable tasks include:

The running and standing rigging need to be renewed in due course, probably before going offshore.

The teak rub rail is missing and should be replaced, probably before lying to a pier without a fender board.

The boat reportedly spent several months on the hard with ports and hatches either removed or left open. Water accumulated in the bilges and rose high enough to damage or destroy some of the wood laminates in the cabin, including some non-structural floor beams, stringers and boards. These still have to be replaced. The lower chainplate bulkheads were replaced, due to water damage. Some of the decorative teak veneers were damaged and have been primed for painting. I have almost all of the interior teak cabinet doors on board, but some of the cabinets faces, etc. need to be rebuilt. Patterns to replace the headliners are included. I have many of the original lighting fixtures and most of the cabinet hardware, but they have to be cleaned up and reinstalled. There are no settee cushions or berth mattresses included in the sale.

Like many boats this vintage, there have been numerous "ad hoc" additions to the wiring scheme, some of which need to be sorted out.

The newer (circa 1994) Yanmar 3JH2TE turbo diesel (approx. 1600 hrs.) runs strong. The center cockpit is protected by a high coaming and a racy windshield. The 8 ft. fiberglass dinghy and a new (less than 10 hrs.) 3.5 HP Mercury outboard are included, as are the newer Rutland 913 wind generator with regulator, and its new (2012) cross-braced, stainless steel mounting mast and outboard motor hoist.

The original, butt welds on the main mast compression post cracked, both top and bottom. An all new, improved, fully gusseted, stainless steel compression post and two new marine grade douglas fir lower chainplate bulkheads were installed in 2012.

In 2010 - 2011 the rudder bearings were renewed, a dripless prop shaft seal added, and several epoxy barrier coats were applied below the water line.

A newer three burner Force 10 propane stove with oven and ceramic infra-red broiler was installed in the galley.

The boat is equipped with a Profurl headsail furler and a Lewmar Sea Tiger manual anchor windlass, as well as 150 feet of new (2012), 3/8" BBB anchor chain and a used 60 lb. Lewmar CQR anchor. New (2012) Garhauer blocks on the boom vang. New (2012) Petit non-skid paint on decks.

A new (2012) Shurflo potable water pump installed, but the plumbing is incomplete. There are two heads with showers, but only one shower is plumbed. The two toilets and holding tanks look OK but need to be plumbed. A new (still in box) Jabsco toilet rebuild kit and a brand new (still in box) 11 gal. hot water heater are included.

The sails are in good shape and the mainsail cover and UV protector on the furled headsail are only a year old. An Autohelm autopilot thought to be in working order is included, but is not installed. Raymarine instruments (depth, knots, and wind direction) are installed but the wind direction vane is not installed at the masthead. A well used, but still servicable Scanmar Monitor windvane and new mounting kit are included in the sale but not yet installed.

Some Yanmar spares (belts, filters, etc.) are included in the sale but my other boat parts, and my tools, provisions, books, charts and personal items are not.

Cash only sale, as is, where is, without any warranty. The boat is in dry storage; if you want to complete a sea trial before purchase you will have to pay non-refundable deposit equal to the boatyard's round trip fees for the launch and haul-out plus some "earnest money".

If you are reading this ad in Craig's List then the boat is still for sale. I won't answer e-mails that simply ask if it is still for sale, so if you have a real interest in buying the boat tell me your questions and give me your phone number and I will reply.

Old 15-02-2013, 00:32   #4

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

These where my dream boat! Timing is everything alas I am stuck with a Dufour 35 lol.
Siomple Brit plan. Tough to sail the worlds Oceans, not the fastest, not the best looking but bloody hell a very capable vessel.

Sorry no connection with the seller, just lust, envy, just o bollocks!!!!!!

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, sloop, Westerly, yanmar