Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 19:12   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
2 Yanmar 3GM For Sale

I am repowering. I have 2 Yanmar 3GM 28 hp engines for sale. 1 was just rebuilt and has about 2 hours on it, paid $4,000 for it to be rebuilt. The other one runs OK, but needs injectors rebuilt. We are repowering because of a windfall of cash. We are almost out of here, and don't want to deal with engines when we take off.

I don't really have a price, make an offer, and come & get it.

Dan
dlt5075@aol.com
Old 18-08-2008, 19:03   #2

Boat: Taswell 49
What are the original hour on both?
Old 18-08-2008, 20:33   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
I don't know. One doesnt have a gauge, the other one's gauge isn'rt original equipment. So I dont know when it was added. 10 nyears in the charter trade will do that to a boat.
Old 27-09-2008, 22:24   #4

Too big?

Would these fit in an Athena 38' (which normally have Yanmar 18hp engines with saildrives) or would they be too large?
Old 28-09-2008, 06:32   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
Would these fit in an Athena 38' (which normally have Yanmar 18hp engines with saildrives) or would they be too large?

Sundowner, what's wrong with your 2gm 18s? If you do repower what are your intentions with the old engines?
Old 29-09-2008, 09:17   #6

Haven't bought the boat yet and I'm just trying to get an idea of potential costs that might be associated with getting the boat ready for cruising. I'm sure the 18hp are probably fine (a survey will show me that when its done). They were rebuilt in 2003 or 2004, but since the hour meters don't work on the boat, I don't know how many hours have been but on the engines since then. Is there a rule of thumb for how many hours the typical boat owner might put on their engines during say 3 to 6 months of use per year? Also, I was thinking that the 18hp might be a little underpowered and that 28hp might be a nice option, if they would even fit? Or do you think the 18hp in an Athena 38 is just fine? Hate to put any more weight in it if I don't have to.
Old 29-09-2008, 12:52   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
Haven't bought the boat yet and I'm just trying to get an idea of potential costs that might be associated with getting the boat ready for cruising. I'm sure the 18hp are probably fine (a survey will show me that when its done). They were rebuilt in 2003 or 2004, but since the hour meters don't work on the boat, I don't know how many hours have been but on the engines since then. Is there a rule of thumb for how many hours the typical boat owner might put on their engines during say 3 to 6 months of use per year? Also, I was thinking that the 18hp might be a little underpowered and that 28hp might be a nice option, if they would even fit? Or do you think the 18hp in an Athena 38 is just fine? Hate to put any more weight in it if I don't have to.

I think the 18s are fine. I can do 7.5-8 knts with both engines running and 5 knts with one running, both fixed two bladed props, which works for me. The Athena fuel capacity is about 40 gallons so bigger engines may mean bigger fuel capacity if you are looking at any distance. I'm not sure you'd gain any significant advantage by installing larger motors. The extra power is off set by the extra weight, extra costs to maintain, extra fuel comsumption, extra cost of the engines, extra costs of mounting a larger engine and you'd probably be wise to replace the sail drives at the same time as Yanmar would most likely suggest anyway. Some advice, make sure you get the parts list from the PO on the rebuild before you buy and walk them over to your local Yanmar guys and ask them if the list proves a real re-buiuld or just some repairs. A real re-build parts list will be extensive, even on a two banger. If that list comes up missing I wouldn't consider the engines re-built at all and would consider that a substantial negotiating point.

But if you do re-power let me know I might be interested in your old engines.
Old 29-09-2008, 13:22   #8

Thanks Tellie. Also, how many hours should you allow on an 18hp Yamar befor you need to rebuild? Same question on servicing the saildrives? When would you need to repower?

Tags
3gm