Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14   #1

2001 Monitor Windvane Self-Steering System

I am offering a little used 2001Scanmar Monitor Windvane system for sale. The location is currently Connecticut and it includes the self steering mechanism, three paddles (light/normal winds, heavy winds, ketch mizzen paddle), the cruising repair kit, and a Simrad tiller pilot. There is also a printed manual.

Serial number and pictures upon request so you can verify with Scanmar the date of manufacture.

It is still installed on my boat with a flat transom, but is easily removed. Price is $2600, not including shipping.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:22   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
How big is your boat? Trying to figure out if it will work on ours...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24   #3

Hi Mimsy,

My boat is a Pearson 424. 23,000lbs empty, probably close to 28,000 loaded with all my crap. I'm pretty sure it will work.

Regards,

Bob
Old 07-02-2011, 08:17   #4

Hi Mimsy,

The Monitor will work pretty much for any boat. It only comes in one size and depends on the boat being balanced. If there is too strong a weather or lee helm it will struggle. But that's easy to take care of.

I hope this helps.

Bob
Old 13-02-2011, 12:45   #5
jbg

still available?

Just wondered if this unit is still available?

Thanks,
John
Old 13-02-2011, 12:49   #6

Hi John,

So far it is. I'm in discussions with someone now about it. I don't know if the sale will go through.

What are your thoughts?

Bob
Old 14-02-2011, 13:11   #7
jbg

hi bob thanks for your reply.we've spent the last five winters in the Bahamas and are contemplating on going farther.will appreciate hearing if the sale goes through as our plans have not been finalized as yet.
john
Old 14-02-2011, 13:16   #8

Hi John,

I haven't heard from the other buyer. I suggested using an escrow company to handle the transaction - it's a significant investment for you or him, and a significant income to me, so I want the buyer to be perfectly comfortable with the purchase without sacrificing some protection for me. PayPal doesn't do that.

Where are you now?

If I don't hear from him by tomorrow afternoon, it's all yours.

Bob
Old 14-02-2011, 14:01   #9
jbg

hi bob..like I said we're still in the planning stage .we have a 35 foot endurance totally equipped for off shore.the original hydro vane was unsuitable so we sold it as we opted for coastal and bahamas.Its a little premature to purchase at this time as we need to determine our plans.If the unit is still available in the near future and fits our plans I'd arrange to see and inspect it to determine the adaptability(cost} to fit our boat.of course I'd be paying in cash.
thanks again John
Old 14-02-2011, 14:08   #10

Inspection and what-not

Hi John,

That sounds totally perfect. I think you would have a very easy time adapting it with the frame and fittings - my transom is flat and I believe yours is pretty much flat, too. I am happy to send you pictures if you like so you can make some decision.

Like all wind vane steering, it depends on wind being from a relatively constant direction. This unit takes a bit of doing to set up, but once on-line, it's really easy to manage (you can even set it up so that you can change course remotely with a line, but I never did that).

I'm in Connecticut, so if you're near Stamford, stop by at any time. If nothing else, you'll get a glass of wine and we can share stories (probably yours are better than mine, but I'm working on it...)

Bob
Old 16-02-2011, 04:46   #11

Monitor wind vane

I live in Mass and will drive to Conn. this afternoon and pick up the Monitor if it is still available. Questions, does it have the wheel steering adaptor? are all the mounting brackets still with it? P.S. I will bring cash. Please call me 978-363-1877 George
Old 16-02-2011, 14:22   #12

Monitor Wind Vane Sold

I haven't the foggiest idea how to get rid of this thread as it was a classified ad. But George came down and purchased the thing. Good for him! Great for me!

Tags
monitor, windvane