Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 09:17   #1

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50
28ft Catamaran in Caribean - A great chance?

We purchased our 28ft cat around 4yrs ago in Scotland. While we where in the Med we had some engine trouble and during it we made the mistake of taken out the broken diesel and trying to go all electric. It was a expensive and complete failure as the system burnt out 8hrs.

We (my wife, 3yr old son and I) sailed across the Atlantic with out the engine and to the Caribbean where we lost even more trying to repair the system which eventually emptied our savings.

Not so long ago we had the chance to move aboard a larger boat to live on and it is a project as well.

We would some day like to sail our Catamaran and do the ICW. However right now that is not going to be possible.

We would like to offer our cat up in an exchange to whom ever for X amount of time (season/months/years) what ever we agree on in exchange for some one who is interested in to put in the investment to get her back in shape.

If you have any questions or would like more info fee free to drop me a message or leave a response.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2016, 04:18   #2

Boat: Catamaran, monohull, pontoon
Send a message via AIM to watermanmax
Re: 28ft Catamaran in Caribean - A great chance?

where at in Caribbean?
what kind of cat....and pictures?
one engine or 2
Old 12-12-2016, 05:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanmax View Post
... what kind of cat....and pictures ...
It’s a “Catfisher 28", like these
https://www.google.ca/search?q=catfi...w=1366&bih=611

Old 16-12-2016, 11:26   #4

Still available? Location?
Old 16-12-2016, 16:09   #5

Yes it is still available.
Old 16-12-2016, 22:05   #6

I'm confused?

Are you offering a free boat or use of the boat for free?

Interesting boats. I finally got a chance to see one about a year ago. Not sure how they sail but a lot of space for the size.
Old 17-12-2016, 06:00   #7

Offering use (time) of the boat in exchange for engine, repairs, tlc etc...
Old 17-12-2016, 06:00   #8
SFS

I reread it several times, and my best guess is they are offering the use of the boat (for a length of time to be negotiated) as payment for someone's capital and/or labor expended to get the boat up to snuff.
Old 17-12-2016, 06:06   #9

Yes that is correct sorry if it was not clear in the original post.

We are offering the use of the boat in exchange.

The boat can be moved anywhere in the Caribbean or America and possible Europe if needed.

We are very open to the time as we are not in rush to have her back.
Old 17-12-2016, 06:23   #10
SFS

Interesting idea. I'd put everything in writing. Good luck.
Old 17-12-2016, 06:44   #11

Boat: Cal 2-27

How much cash would the recipient have to put into the boat and how long would they get use of boat? What were the terms you were thinking about?
Old 17-12-2016, 07:29   #12

Get everything in writing including insurance, what repairs are to be done and to what standard.

I could easily see someone strap a $200 used outboard on the back and wind up on a reef and as the owner, it's on you to pay for recovery.

While I wish you well a pair of diesels is going to start around $20,000, hard to see where someone would come out ahead compared to buying a boat and selling it after a few years.
Old 17-12-2016, 14:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Get everything in writing including insurance, what repairs are to be done and to what standard.

I could easily see someone strap a $200 used outboard on the back and wind up on a reef and as the owner, it's on you to pay for recovery.

While I wish you well a pair of diesels is going to start around $20,000, hard to see where someone would come out ahead compared to buying a boat and selling it after a few years.

Yes everything will need to be done in writing including insurance as you said some already offered to strap an outboard on it

There is only one diesel needed as it has hydraulic drives in it. If some one was to put in a new engine then yes the expense would be around 8-15k.

If some one is willing to do that great however we do not expect new engine to be put in there are good 2nd hand motors on the market that can be had for half that.

I think not to many people come out ahead buying there boat and selling it after especially in todays market. Lucky to break even with what you paid unless you came upon a good deal in which case even then the boat will most likely require a substantial amount of work which you will not recover once you sell it most likely.

Generally even if you buy a boat in good condition you end up putting additional money that will not be recovered.

The advantage that this offers is that you do not have to sell your house or take out a loan to buy a boat and considering that most people we have met have 2-3yr cruising schedule think that even a 20k investment for 2-3 years is a good deal.

Really have you seen what it costs to charter a boat for a couple of months. I think more then that.

Also we know that is possible some one may fall in love with the boat and want to keep it so of course we can work something like that as well at the end.
Old 17-12-2016, 14:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
How much cash would the recipient have to put into the boat and how long would they get use of boat? What were the terms you were thinking about?
We where figuring maybe a year for every 10k invested. However we are not tight on a time frame and if some one was on a 3yr cruising plan and invested 20k say in engine and what ever else we are workable and since we havent done this before or seen it done we are open to suggestions.

Thanks
Old 18-12-2016, 18:55   #15

Do you have any recent pics ?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
catamaran, rib