Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 03:01   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: 30-36 sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
If the OP is willing to look at electric for realistic reasons, and not for "free fuel" then I think it's a great solution. There are tons of great reasons to employ electric drive technology. Unfortunately cost savings is not among them.

JRM
Whilst I don't disagree (especially am still at the EP thinking about it stage ) - in OP's shoes the numbers may start to stack up if he buys something with a broken engine (as on his budget that destroys most of the boat sale value) with the intention from the getgo of going EP (rather than paying for a diesel engine which he doesn't want).

Obviously not without risk - could well not be able to live with EP! (as you say, not for everyone / every boat use - the point I am still pondering).....therefore I would go for something that a) does sail well and b) could have an o/b stuck on the back, even if not for long passages.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:42   #17

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Finally a real answer to the elec. vs. combustable...thanx for the hands on "real" sailing input
Old 21-04-2012, 10:00   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Hey tropicalescape, clear your inbox...Thanx
ok...
Old 21-04-2012, 13:08   #19

JRM More confusion...I would really like to hear more from you on this topic...I'm interested in the conversion you used, was it a kit? I can wire things etc...give me a schematic, I'm good to go, but I am not trained in electronics...A problem??? Please, if you have the time, send me more info, also check out the thread:
Battery Power startup looking to replace lead acid with nickel metal hydride
A very interesting article and a great idea...lets hope it works out!!!
I'm at: all underscore as (at) hot mail
Hope 2 hear from u!! God Bless
BatteryPower

Startup looking to replace Lead-acid with Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH)
Hello all,
I'm a technician for a startup battery company. In my search for new markets I remembered my grandparents lamenting the "stinkpots" on the lakes and lagoons during their sailing trips, and wishing they didn't need to use small gas outboards to navigate congested marinas, etc. It seemed to me that electric motors, which could be either plugged in or charged via wind or solar means, would be preferable. After looking into it, I've noticed a prevailing dissatisfaction with most lead-acid systems used to power on-board electronics and motors. The charging inefficiencies (including the length of time it takes to charge), short lifespan, and maintanance requirements seem to be a fairly big hassle that could take something away from a day (or several) out on the water.
We have bipolar NiMH batteries that can charge (from a fully discharged state to a fully charged state) in an hour without significantly effecting cycle life. The charge acceptance is much more efficient than lead-acid therefore needing less overall energy generation (from solar or wind) to charge. Also for charging with wind turbines, there is practically no need to limit the charge current (for a 50 Ah battery-50 amps, for a 100 Ah battery-100 amps).
I am looking for feedback from potential consumers and from potential partners regarding the replacement of lead-acid batteries with bipolar NiMH batteries. Thanks for your input!
BatteryPower

Hello all,
I'm a technician for a startup battery company. In my search for new markets I remembered my grandparents lamenting the "stinkpots" on the lakes and lagoons during their sailing trips, and wishing they didn't need to use small gas outboards to navigate congested marinas, etc. It seemed to me that electric motors, which could be either plugged in or charged via wind or solar means, would be preferable. After looking into it, I've noticed a prevailing dissatisfaction with most lead-acid systems used to power on-board electronics and motors. The charging inefficiencies (including the length of time it takes to charge), short lifespan, and maintanance requirements seem to be a fairly big hassle that could take something away from a day (or several) out on the water.
We have bipolar NiMH batteries that can charge (from a fully discharged state to a fully charged state) in an hour without significantly effecting cycle life. The charge acceptance is much more efficient than lead-acid therefore needing less overall energy generation (from solar or wind) to charge. Also for charging with wind turbines, there is practically no need to limit the charge current (for a 50 Ah battery-50 amps, for a 100 Ah battery-100 amps).
I am looking for feedback from potential consumers and from potential partners regarding the replacement of lead-acid batteries with bipolar NiMH batteries. Thanks for your input!
BatteryPower

Hello all,
BatteryPower

Hello all,
BatteryPower

Hello all,
Old 21-04-2012, 15:16   #20

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I just put my 1989 Hunter 30 on the market in Florida, since I don't foresee having the cruising time in the near future and live in the Midwest. Not really a fixer upper as most things are working well - new transmission, etc. Just lowered the price to under 20K. Bulwagga anchor with new chain, new Kiss wind generator, GPS, new head and new holding tank - never used.

It recently came back from the Bahamas, and I'd take it back again as is.

Old 21-04-2012, 15:39   #21

I will be selling my Islander 32 Mk II soon. Solid boat, needs some cosmetics and other minor work. Good Volvo diesel. Located in Ft. Lauderdale right now, could easily be brought to the Gulf Coast.. Shoal draft makes it a terrific cruiser for Keys and Bahamas.

Have not decided yet on asking price, but will definitely be under $13k.

PM me if you have an interest and I will provide more details.
Old 22-04-2012, 23:20   #22

I don't know about NiMH batteries anymore...They used to be popular before Lithium came around. Currently, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) are getting more popular, but are a little expensive. Lead Acid is still cheaper per Amp Hour, but you don't get nearly as many cycles out of them, they are heavy, and they age pretty fast if you don't take care of them.

You have to ask yourself what kind of cruising you want to do in order to determine if electric would work for you. I am trying to figure that out myself.

And wind generators work well if you are anchored out and would like to use some power at night or on an overcast day. Although, I was able to use my small 80W solar panels today in mostly overcast conditions to recharge a bunch of small low power batteries...
Old 23-04-2012, 06:45   #23

JRM, Very interesting and enlightening article. I for one(another) think of the elec. way as a way of free fuel. I don't want to HAVE to go anywhere just to refuel. My long term plan is to sail the Carribean...You've obviously done your homework here. Can you tell me what I can read, or websites to get more knowledge on the whole elec. package, not just the elec. motor conv. but the electrics of a sailboat in general. I want to redo a boat, I may as well do it ONCE the right way...Thanx for the input...I have a lot to think about and to learn...WHEW!!!
Old 23-04-2012, 19:22   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
JRM, Very interesting and enlightening article. I for one(another) think of the elec. way as a way of free fuel. I don't want to HAVE to go anywhere just to refuel. My long term plan is to sail the Carribean...You've obviously done your homework here. Can you tell me what I can read, or websites to get more knowledge on the whole elec. package, not just the elec. motor conv. but the electrics of a sailboat in general. I want to redo a boat, I may as well do it ONCE the right way...Thanx for the input...I have a lot to think about and to learn...WHEW!!!
Look for the book about marine electrics by Don Casey and there is a guy on youtube that makes electric powered airplanes (Moni motor glider)and Ultralight trikes and is looking for other apps.for his elec.power products...might be interested in doing a boat for promotional reasons...DVC

Tags
sailboat