Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 19:50   #1

31' Uniflite Sport Sedan (1970)

Hi everyone.
I recently purchased a very clean, low use, almost no damage or rot 1970 Uniflite. I was told it was a one owner boat and by the looks it seems it may be true.It is completely origonal, upholstery and all. It is like a 1970 time capsul. The hobbs meters show 550 hours. The bilge is clean but what you would expect for sitting 40 odd years.
One window had a long term leak that developed through the frame. This developed into a 12"x12" section of dryrot I am in the process of repairing. And that is it!
My hope is (Good Lord willing) to essentially modernize the old girl. The engines are 318 Chryslers and not running. So they need to come out and be re-built. While I'm at it I would like to go through the v-drives as well as paint the bilge, clean the tanks,replace hoses and fittings etc., etc., etc. All I need is lots of time and lots of money.
For the first year my goal is to make it safe and usefull. Then - pretty! (is that possible for this boat?)
There are alot of 32' Sport Sedans out there and quite a few of the 31' Cruisers but I see very few of the 31 Sport Sedans. They aren't a very attractive boat in vintage form but my understanding is that the hull is very good. Any thoughts?
I would certainly apppreciate any contact with others who have knowledge or experience with this particular boat. Or may be someone who has done one. I have been to the Uniflite site and gleaned quite a bit of information from there. However this particular boat doesn't seem to have much of a following.
I came close to buying a 34' Hatteras Trunk Cabin several monthe before this boat came up for sale but it seemed an overwhelming task to transport and re-furbish her. ( I move the Uniflite with my pick-up and a permit) Also the fact that all but the biggest gas engines were considered too small for the size and weight of the boat. But what a good looking old boat!
Hopefully I can do something with this Uni to make it a little better looking but it will never compare to the old Hatts. But who knows?
Best wishes, Hank
Old 09-11-2011, 06:04   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Trash the engines. Old chrysler marine cooling systems sucked at best and cost many times more then gm engine components to replace. Sounds like a costly project. Best of luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17   #3

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: 31' Uniflite Sport Sedan (1970)

Pics????