Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: 33FT Cruising Sailboat On A $30k Budget

catalina, hunter, tartan 34C (if you can find one that cheap)
Old 01-08-2016, 09:55   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

The Morgan 33 ( or 323) is a nice boat, but be careful about the propwalk... the ones I have sailed on are not happy when in reverse....
Old 01-08-2016, 09:55   #18
cruiser

Morgan 33 OI great boat for carib classic
Old 01-08-2016, 10:05   #19

ROFLOL!!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:08   #20

Boat: TBD... On the hunt!

The OI33 has been on our shortlist since the beginning of the boat search. We've been on 3 different ones thus far - all were in horrid condition. We'd love to find a solid OI33 that has been loved and cared for.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:15   #21
cruiser

Yes its a charter trash boat, but if you find one great for a simple coaster
Old 01-08-2016, 10:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Story View Post
The OI33 has been on our shortlist since the beginning of the boat search. We've been on 3 different ones thus far - all were in horrid condition. We'd love to find a solid OI33 that has been loved and cared for.
Did you look up North in the Great Lakes area or New England, especially Maine? With realistically 3-4 months sailing season a 35-40 year old well cared for boat, either fresh water or Maine based, would have wear and tear equivalent to 7-10 full years in Florida.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:25   #23

We are looking everywhere on the East Coast - with a focus on the South-Eastern region (just for ease of checking out the boats). There's a nice Alberg 35 in Mass that I've got some messages going back and forth about. All options are open right now for sure, but I certainly can see the benefits of getting an older boat that spent the majority of it's life in freshwater.

That's certainly one thing I've noticed about walking the marinas in Florida - there's a much higher percentage of boats that are just plain cooked from UV damage. I mean, I can tell a difference between the boats we've seen in Lake Lanier and the boats in Palm Bay. Amazing how much of a difference there is between boats in salt water and fresh.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:32   #24

35' chris craft sail yacht, long keel, mercedes diesel, good fuel and water tankage, solar reefer, completely restored 3 years ago, heavy glass, beautiful boat to sail and look at, sparkman stephens design, 1964 classic with aft cabin. johnfosterinbocagrande, 941 286 7685. boat located in boca grande fl. hope to hear from you.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:03   #25

Boat: Formerly C&C Landfall 42 'Chrisalis' & Ontario 32 ( C&C Design) 'Gone Bananas'

Ontario 32 -1980 going on the hard August 23 Nanaimo BC- for survey and bottom paint- in very good condition at least we think it is but will find out- New Engine and not loaded with electronics- because they are prone to fail- and the old style of do as much as you can yourself to keep your Hypocampus large and fresh.- then again the sales pitch would be- if you want the bells and whistles- you have the chance to add what you want . If you have someone, somewhat in the know and somewhat on the inner West Coast BC Cdn that wants to come around and look- fair dinkim . The rigging was re done and up graded late 2000 ( bigger diametre) , new storm jib still in the bag , rest of sails very good condition. You can sail it home .

I'm getting a little too old for this and she is not being used as much as I used to - hate to see her go, but hate it more that she is not out on the waves. -- Wind and Wave's- Gone Bananas Somewhere around 30K -35K US would be fine . E mail me for more details of this boat- look up "Ontario 32's " first. There are web sites with the specs available- this one has a hard dodger with solar cells --and small treats as was a boat show model. I've owned her for 35 years. As the say in Cdn- her guns and ammunition.

If you just add this model to your search elsewhere and feel it may be okay a couple of things to watch for. She is C & C designed ( but not built) Some years have creeping osmosis- particularly 80 to the end of the runs- I think 1985. Others have a little osmosis but hasn't expanded. Bananas had the latter , and the bottom was re-done and Okay. The quadrant is Aluminium and can be cracked- most of us have replaced it with bronze when repowering - other than that they are pretty good boats. Jade 1 the first boat off the line in the top 3 a couple years running in the Victoria BC to Maui race - so it can take the heavy deep blue. Lots in the Carribean, and lots round the world

email me at islbob@telus.net if you wants some pics- glad to send what I have . That's not a terrorist e mail--- it's isl-and bob- I live on an island that has ferry service.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:10   #26
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

This is one of those threads that draws all manner of responses. Here's your answer: last I checked I found over 800 sailboats from 28 to 33' in Florida - without duplication - on Yachtworld, Sailboatlisting and the Craigslists in Florida, and in your price range.

The best ones will be purchased before you get there. Most are not worth your while. The only way you will succeed is to look at those in between. All will be a compromise. Always.

What you need:
1. Read Don Casey's section on evaluating a used sailboat. Read especially his advice especially on the factors that will lead you. Print out and memorize his "30 minute survey", but know the long form just as well.

2. Set aside as much time as you can, up to a month, and start looking everyday. Look at everything, as you want to see plenty of junk, so you know what junk looks like. Learn how to tap test, and how to buy and use a low cost moisture meter (you're looking for averages and changes, not a particular number).

3. Only until you look at a LOT of boats will you be ready to spot and buy "the one". You will not find "the one" by reading this thread; to the contrary YOU will find it.

4. And when you do, be prepared to have it surveyed, and be prepared to have your eyes opened by it.

5. Last, understand that your specs are for the needle in the haystack. Instead be willing to accept a boat that is solid, and has no major issues. One that you can sail and learn right now.

6. Only after you spend some serious time with this "OK" boat will you know what you need to spend, and on what, as you go. Better to find a lower priced but decent and sailable boat that you can then upgrade with new or very good used gear (think Sailorman and other purveyors of used equipment). Figure that you're going to spend at least another $10 - 15,000 (up to 50% of your purchase price) to make the boat into what you want it to be.

Keep that in mind in re your resale goal. But if you do nothing else, just do some serious looking at any boat you can. Develop your inspection skills. Experience the slimeballs of the earth called "brokers". In less time that you think, you will develop good observation and inspection skills per Casey. And then - when you see "the one", worth a survey - you'll know it...
Old 01-08-2016, 11:22   #27

Thanks Cap/n Jimbo for the detailed reply.

I'm a very mechanically minded person, so I think I have an edge in both a pre-survey inspection and also in doing my own maintenance.

We've looked at 13 boats thus far, and I feel like we're getting beyond the "learning what a good boat looks like" stage, and are moving into the "just show me a good dang boat so we can move onto the next step" stage.

I do have that book you referenced, and to my mechanical mind, performing a pre-survey actually seems very simple and straight forward. Even thus far in our search I've found moisture-laden decks, cracked chain plates, cracked swages, leaking hull-deck joints, aged hosed, water in engine oil, leaking fuel tanks, etc. Not tooting my own horn (I'm a rookie to all things sailboat), just saying that I "get" a lot of the mechanical & structural stuff probably a bit more than your typical lubber.

I have experienced quite a few of the "slimeballs" you mentioned. My background is in Real Estate. There are outstanding Brokers, and there are slimeballs. Concerning the boat brokers - I've yet to find an outstanding one... although I do recognize that there's not much incentive for them at my end of the market.

Thanks for the insight Cap'n. Much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:24   #28
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

CSY 33 would be a good choice. Solid build, lots of room, stable but short waterline, not fast, but not a slug either.
Some a shoal draft with 4' and some are 5'.
I was all over the Bahamas and Florida with my deep draft version, never had a problem.
157 gallon water tank on some models, good liveaboard.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:25   #29

Boat: Formerly C&C Landfall 42 'Chrisalis' & Ontario 32 ( C&C Design) 'Gone Bananas'

Capn Jimbo ---- Bingo
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27   #30

Something happened to the post darn internet on telephone lines under the ocean

Capn Jimbo Bingo

Tags
budget, cruising, sail, sailboat