Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 09:05   #46

Re: 36' Steel Sailboat, Cape Horn Vet

In an earlier post you said:

"Not going to video the aft cabin until the exhaust replacement job is done.It is in disarray at the moment. New muffler to go in today. Then order new SS pipe, then new insulating blankets."

What is the status of the aft cabin work and when do you think you could do video of it along with the completed exhaust system and the stuffing box area?
Old 15-01-2014, 14:01   #47

Boat: 36' Swain cutter

Gary,
I have replaced the exhaust pipe( with SSH-Stainless Steel Corrugated Hose | RubberFab) and the muffler and tested it. All OK.
I ordered the new insulating blanket material a week ago from some place in the USA Midwest so it should arrive very soon.
However I'm going ski-touring in the Kootenays for a week in 3 days, so installation and video will wait for my return.

In 3 weeks the herring fishing fleet will start to assemble here in Comox for the annual Feb/March Herring Roe fishery. Hundreds of boats converge on this port for about 3 or 4 weeks so I'll need to move my boat to raft up amongst the plastic boats on the other side of this dock complex, to give those guys lots of room. The fishery opening usually coincides with the onset of cold gales and wind.

I have the aft-cabin mattresses at home for re-covering with material purchased at a Boxing day sale. This will be the third iteration of cover we've done for these mattresses over the years, and I am assured that this is a simple and quick process (by my in-house textile technician/spouse).

So, I am slowly working away at the maintenance and clean-up jobs. That means the Silas Crosby will be in even better condition when folks start to emerge from hibernation and realise that they have an urgent need for a vessel such as Silas Crosby.

But the maritime weather hereabouts has been so benign as to barely be considered winter. Only 3 frontal systems through here since September! Unheard of.
A person with a good boat could have set off down the coast for Mexico from Vancouver Island or Washington State in almost any week this winter. Ridiculous. Occasionally, in winter, small boats have waited for weeks at Neah Bay or Victoria Harbour for a weather break to make the 4 or 5 day dash to get south, and clear of the SE/SW fronts.

Thanks for the inquiry.
cheers, Steve
Old 30-01-2014, 12:45   #48

Just to let every one know, the seller has informed me that he has accepted an offer, and therefore this boat is under contract.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:57   #49

Boat: 36' Swain cutter
As Gary kindly reported above,I have accepted an offer on the Silas Crosby, so hopefully it will all work out , and both parties can sail over the horizon.

Tags
sail, sailboat, steel