Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 17:12   #1

Boat: whitby 42
39 to 45 Foot Sailboat

My wife and I have been searching the east coast for the past three months in seach of the perfect boat. Boats that we have looked at include pearson 424, csy 44, whitby 42, bristol 41, morgan 45, beneteaus 40 thru 43 as well as many others. We had contract on pearson 42 but survey revealed fatigued hull . Had a deal on bristol 41.1 for $50k and blew it. Looking at getting a great deal because we do not know if the life style will to our liking and may end up selling. Have been boating for 25 years but mostly weekend trips on the Ches.Bay (mostly lower Potomac so we know rough water). The dream is to take off in the fall, cruise the ICW to Florida/Bahamas and visiting friends in Nova Scotia. Hence preferable draft is 5 feet or less but will consider 6 feet for right boat. I have no problem with fixer upper if the structure is sound. Prefer spending $50k but will consider $100k for the perfect boat. Because I have no faith the government will continue to dredge the ICW, we will plan some offshore/coastal cruising. We have started looking at the Carribean for boats.
Old 12-01-2010, 18:14   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernneckLon View Post
.... had contract on pearson 42 but survey revealed fatigued hull ..

I don't have any suggestions. But like to to know what a "fatigued hull" is.
Old 12-01-2010, 18:30   #3

Boat: whitby 42
fatigued hull

The hull, on the port side just aft of the chain locker, had several fractures that had shown thru the gelcoat and extended from the waterline to caprail. The surveyor suspected that this boat had been thru a lot of heavy weather. Some on the net have reported oil canning in this area of the hull which may of caused the fractures (my inexperienced conclusion not his). Some of the bulkhead tabbing had come loose. His recommendation was to grind the fractures and scarf fiberglass over the fracture areas. His report literally said the boat should not be taken offshore until the sugggested repairs be taken. Given my desire for sturdy boat, I renewed my search.