Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 11:34   #76

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Now here is a georgeous bluewater boat for $49k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Rogala View Post
A standard boat would be a traditional Marconi rigged boat (sloop, ketch or yawl). But I guess a real comparison would be with boats of same length and weight.
Ya, I think I read it right...............
Old 20-03-2015, 11:38   #77

Quote:
I'm not doing any back-peddling as I am aware of.
I don't agree with any of your comments except the last one. The previous comments don't make any sense to me. Sorry I can't follow your logic.

Its the rig that has the speed...not the boat. I agree to that. I pasted some article from tanton yachts that describe why the rig is faster offwind.
Cheers
Thats all I was saying in the first place.. dont compare boats..........
Old 20-03-2015, 12:12   #78

Boat: 1996 42' Lavranos Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I guess I didnt read this correct then.............
Yes.....standard rigged boats. Marconi......slooped rigged boats. Got it? As compared to cat ketch rigged. But only offwind... Not going to weather. Am I really that unclear?
Old 20-03-2015, 12:15   #79

Quote:
Ya, I think I read it right...............
Sorry. Again. I'm not following your logic. I really don't want to waste my time chasing your comments that don't make sense to me.
Old 20-03-2015, 12:18   #80

Quote:
Thats all I was saying in the first place.. dont compare boats..........
OK finally I can agree with you on something. Sorry, but of course all boats have different speed potential and I didn't mean to compare them as being equal.
Old 20-03-2015, 13:13   #81

Let me put it this way,
It would be Ludacris to suggest that YOUR Freedom with a Cat/Ketch rig would be faster than any other cruising boat, of any make or model, within the perimeters of 20,000 LBS with a water length of 35 feet.. on any point of sail. due to the fact that you had a Cat/ketch rig.
And you cant state that a Cat/Ketch rig is the FASTEST rig design on the market. If it were, There would be more builders using the rig..
The only TRUE statement, and this might be throwing a bone, is that your freedom and its particular design is faster with a cat/ketch rig..
Just because it makes your boat design work dosent mean it works on all other designs.......................................
Old 20-03-2015, 13:50   #82

Quote:
Let me put it this way,
It would be Ludacris to suggest that YOUR Freedom with a Cat/Ketch rig would be faster than any other cruising boat, of any make or model, within the perimeters of 20,000 LBS with a water length of 35 feet.. on any point of sail. due to the fact that you had a Cat/ketch rig.
And you cant state that a Cat/Ketch rig is the FASTEST rig design on the market. If it were, There would be more builders using the rig..
The only TRUE statement, and this might be throwing a bone, is that your freedom and its particular design is faster with a cat/ketch rig..
Just because it makes your boat design work dosent mean it works on all other designs.......................................
Hi.
Did you read the quote I pasted from the Tanton Yachts representative saying why the cat ketch rigs are faster off wind? It makes logical sense to me, because if an unsupported Genoa is flapping and collapsing it is not so efficient in driving the boat forward. It is kind of similar as to why a vanged mainsail is faster than an unvanged mainsail.

And I don't think that first paragraph is ludicrous at all.

I read that today's modern sloop rigs developed from racing handicap rules with small high aspect mainsails with big forward J dimensions. The sailing world became dominated with that design. I think cat ketches were all but forgotten until naval architects starting bringing them back for cruising. Ideally, cruising is following the trade winds and that rug would be superior to that purpose as far as what I read. But not for the racing circuit because traditional sloop rigs are better going upwind, and going downwind, they fly spinnakers to go fast off the wind. But cruising boats don't use spinnakers as much as race boats do because they demand constant attention. That's not the cruisers lifestyle. I think that is why cat ketches make such great cruisers. Cruisers can sacrifice some windward ability if they make up for it in their downwind abilities.
Old 20-03-2015, 13:56   #83

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Pointing ability is desirable whether you race or cruise.
Old 20-03-2015, 14:51   #84

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Pointing ability is desirable whether you race or cruise.
Amen, unless you can control the wind. Racing you get beat, cruising just wait for the wind changes or fire up the iron sail.
Old 20-03-2015, 15:18   #85

If Cat/ketch rigs were superior for speed in down wind sailing and much easier for short-handed sailing, you would see them on the single-handed transpac.. A down wind run...
In which, many a cruising boat has dominated, Re- the WestSail 32 which is superior in down wind sailing..
Old 20-03-2015, 15:24   #86

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Seems like a bunch of gum beating. Doubt we will hear from anyone having had both?
Old 20-03-2015, 15:52   #87

and I remember reading this somewhere.......

I guess if its written, It must be true...........
Old 20-03-2015, 16:50   #88

Sure it is. I'm not racing and I'm in no hurry to leave, so I just wait more favorable winds rather than beat my head against the wall going to windward when the next day would be better. I try to go upwind as little as possible because then I buck not only wind but seas too. And that's no fun.
Old 20-03-2015, 16:59   #89

Quote:
If Cat/ketch rigs were superior for speed in down wind sailing and much easier for short-handed sailing, you would see them on the single-handed transpac.. A down wind run...
In which, many a cruising boat has dominated, Re- the WestSail 32 which is superior in down wind sailing..
Good point. But the transpac is very competitive and they will put up chutes to win. A cat ketch cant go faster downwind than a boat with a chute. And there is no way a transpac boat will not fly a chute unless there is a gale blowing. I think we should be clear in the difference between racing and cruising.
We are just talking cruising here.
Old 20-03-2015, 17:29   #90

Quote:
Good point. But the transpac is very competitive and they will put up chutes to win. A cat ketch cant go faster downwind than a boat with a chute. And there is no way a transpac boat will not fly a chute unless there is a gale blowing. I think we should be clear in the difference between racing and cruising.
We are just talking cruising here.
If all we're talking about is cruising here, then tell me Why in the hell did you bring up the performance issues of a Cat/ketch rig in the first place..
Remember it was you that brought it up...........and it was you that brought up the point that the Freedom Cat/ketch rig is the fastest in its prospective class..........

Tags
ketch, water