Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 12:18   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 44 - Safari Tu
44' Gulfstar Center Cockpit Cutter

We just got back from an awesome year of cruising from Newport, RI to Grenada and back aboard Safari Tu, our 1981 44' Gulfstar cutter.

We are now offering her for sale at $124,900. If you are looking for a seaworthy, roomy, well-outfitted boat that is ready to head south, she might be the one!

Cutter rigged, with furling main, headsail and staysail. Safe, deep cockpit with dodger and large bimini. Liferaft, heavy-duty dinghy davits, anchor windlass, two 130W solar panels. Equipped with 62 hp Perkins diesel, maxprop and bowthruster.

Roomy down below with good headroom thoughout, she sleeps 2 in the fwd v-berth, 2 in the main salon, and 2-3 in the roomy aft cabin. 2 heads, with separate stand-up shower in owner's cabin. 3 burner oven/stove with Seafrost refrigeration (engine-driven and 12V systems).

She underwent an extensive refit in 2008 including:

New standing rigging
New running rigging
New electronics/radar
New pedestal and teak wheel with Raymarine C80 chartplotter at helm
New below-decks autopilot
New 12V Seafrost fridge
New solar panels with Outback MPPT controller and 1000W inverter
New 765 amp hr house battery bank + new starting battery
New LED tricolor and interior lights

Located in Rhode Island. More information available upon request. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Scott
s/v Safari Tu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	19536  
Old 23-09-2010, 12:48   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Do you think maybe you are shooting a little high? A GS44 with new engine and interior in pretty much bristol condition sold for $105,000 in Boston just a few moths ago.
Old 23-09-2010, 13:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Do you think maybe you are shooting a little high? A GS44 with new engine and interior in pretty much bristol condition sold for $105,000 in Boston just a few moths ago.
Agreed, and there must be a very good reason for it to be worth $35K more than this one on Yachtworld.

Having lived a past life managing and advising car dealers, one thing you learned was not to overprice used vehicles. Those tend to stick around, and in the end will sell for less then they should. My realtor friends tell me the same thing.
Old 23-09-2010, 14:13   #4
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Agreed, and there must be a very good reason for it to be worth $35K more than this one on Yachtworld.

Having lived a past life managing and advising car dealers, one thing you learned was not to overprice used vehicles. Those tend to stick around, and in the end will sell for less then they should. My realtor friends tell me the same thing.
I've checked into that GS44 because Ive been interested in the model, and it probably isn't a good price comprasion and will mostly sell for something in the 70s.
Old 23-09-2010, 14:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I've checked into that GS44 because Ive been interested in the model, and it probably isn't a good price comprasion and will mostly sell for something in the 70s.
No surprise that list price is not the value. One really does need to be able to differentiate when one prices a unit significantly higher than the "competition". A good example was the episode of "Indigo Moon". The owner did a marvelous job of selling his maintenance and upgrades, and in the end he got a significantly higher amount then what "the market would dictate".

I am only suggesting that if you think your unit is somewhat special, you need to be able to communicate that to prospective buyers. Things like saying it has a new motor doesn't increase the value, as buyers expect a functioning and problem free motor. If there are any issues with a motor, value of course gets deducted, but not added on.

It is a positive that there are a lot of new maintenance items, and probably the boat will sell faster, but not necessarily for a lot more than market.

But of course, we all knew all of this already

Tags
center cockpit