Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 13:23   #31

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana
You'd think the OP offered $500 for someone's wife the way certain folks are reacting.

I don't know what you're getting all upset about. If you don't want to help, keep quiet and ignore the thread.

But if you happen to see a private sale, or know of someone who wants to sell. The $500 is a memory jogger, it's not supposed to help you make a living!

I think it's a good idea. I'm sure he's exploring all avenues, and a $500 reward is just another way to try to find the right boat.

The man knows what he wants, just because you have different priorities or ideas of what's right or works or whatever, doesn't mean he's wrong.

I couldn't find a boat I liked either, because I had very specific needs. I wouldn't feel the need to justify my wishlist to you or anyone else.

Between my choice to build and his choice to take his time and find the right cat "out of the box". His choice is more wise. He's got cash!

To the OP: If I hear of one for sale in your price range, that meets your criteria, I'll pipe up. And you can keep the $500 and I'll take the cookies.

Cheers.
Paul.
+ 1

Yes, i think it is a long shot, but may as well try. No one is being forced to search boat listings if they don't want to.

That said, I think the saildrive issue may be tough to get around. It it were me, I'd look at charter versions as they are cheaper. Remove toilet from one head and make into a bench for dedicated shower stall, and install sitting area and cabinets in 4th cabin on same side. Poof, now you have owners cabin.
Old 22-08-2012, 13:34   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
re: $500.00 !! REWARD !! For Catamaran Under $120k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Man, if you can get Imagines boat for around your budget then you should jump on it. It is the deal of the day, month, year. Forget all that stuff on your wish list. Remember, "All boats are compromises".

Or you could get a really nice tri.

Really dude this is the one.

+1

If my circumstances were a little different right now the boat would not be available any longer.
Old 22-08-2012, 13:52   #33

Another +1 on Imagine.

It's a great boat. Sure you'll have to do some maintenance but maintenance is way easier on a properly built boat than one built to meet some charter company's budget. And, as you say, she'll be overflowing with karma. You'll probably never have to sail to windward

Carl
Old 22-08-2012, 13:55   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

I have to chime in as well about the saildrives, although I may just be aggravating the OP at this point. We have had a shaft drive boat, and now have a saildrive. I actually prefer the saildrive. They are well engineered, reliable, and efficient. The zinc needs replacing when you haulout - I, nor the previous owner have not had to do anything in the water. If you need to pull the engine for any reason, it is a simple affair - no shaft alignment to worry about. The prop is at the correct angle for efficient propulsion - you cannot say that of many prop setups.

If you were to take a poll of those that say the do not like saildrives, I would be interested to find out how many have actually owned one.

Chris
Old 23-08-2012, 00:09   #35

Boat: 1994 39 Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
well ... you are either wasting my own time or yours.

You are handy ... right? ... adding shelving, or a toilet, or a workspace to a 4 cabin charter version is not too hard. You are dicking around here!

The saildrive problem is silly ... they work well ... look at Fontaine Pajeot or Lagoon ... if they didn't work (and the charter market told them the upkeep and repair were a serious problem) they wouldn't keep installing them. So, you know what, they are actually functional and appropriate. Very much more so for a cat!

Also, you have no idea what you are looking at! I say this politely, but one of your earlier comments that the 46 foot cat I suggested (an FP in new caledoinia) might be ok, but a bit big ... well ... guess what ... sail drives. ALL MODERN PRODUCTION CATS HAVE SAILDRIVE ... even the old ones, even the big ones. ALL OF THEM!!!

You ask for help! ... you get it from many people. You dick around. I'm guessing you won't get much more help.

Cheers, and good luck with your hunt for the non-existent modern non-saildrive cat which is suitable for taking paying guests out on, with the upstairs kitchen (only on modern cats ... with a sail drive). For which you are handy and can fix things, but not install some shelving (you are not that handy), Daggerboards (WTF ... racing cats only) low maintenance and simple ????? you realise you are buying a big boat?

You may not be intentionally wasting my time, but you are certainly wastiing your own.

J
Aloha Jannw

Thank you very much for your input and your criticisms. I am sure you meant them in the most constructive way possible. I will take your ideas into thought. I know I am looking for a very specific boat, but, I am spending my life's savings and buying what will be my home for at least the next five years. I know that they do exist; the catana, the kasall, and several other custom boats fit what I am looking for. I did not set this thread up to waste anyones time. I simply am looking in all possible arenas, and thought this could reach someone that knew of or had what I was looking for, could point me in the right direction, and this would be a win-win for all. I have spent lots of time on docks and online. I am simply offering a small reward for a little bit of someones time. Thank you very much for your time. Sorry if I frustrated you in any way.

Thank you,
Jack
Old 23-08-2012, 00:20   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
It sounds like the OP needs to get an education in the boats. want, need and available are all different things,,,500 dollars???? get real,,,, it sound like he wants someone else to do the leg work for him and then complain about the boat,,,,,buy the way,,,,,,if you buy on of the boats that someone send you info on how do we know you will send a check??? of course your word is your bond,,,,stronger than oak I bet
Aloha Captain KJ

I realize that wants, needs, and availability are all separate. I also know that there is no perfect boats; boats are compromises. I am just trying to compromise as little as possible. I am spending my life's savings, and purchasing what will be my home for the next five years. I have all the right to be as picky as I want. I am not asking anyone to do any homework for me. I spend hours a day looking online for boats, emailing brokers, and walking docks. I set this up to simply give someone a little bit more of a reason to look at the boats on their dock or anchorages.

As for payment, you are correct. My word is "stronger than oak". I will post the boat I buy on this thread.

Thanks for you time and comments.
Aloha,
Jack
Old 23-08-2012, 00:31   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
You'd think the OP offered $500 for someone's wife the way certain folks are reacting.

I don't know what you're getting all upset about. If you don't want to help, keep quiet and ignore the thread.

But if you happen to see a private sale, or know of someone who wants to sell. The $500 is a memory jogger, it's not supposed to help you make a living!

I think it's a good idea. I'm sure he's exploring all avenues, and a $500 reward is just another way to try to find the right boat.

The man knows what he wants, just because you have different priorities or ideas of what's right or works or whatever, doesn't mean he's wrong.

I couldn't find a boat I liked either, because I had very specific needs. I wouldn't feel the need to justify my wishlist to you or anyone else.

Between my choice to build and his choice to take his time and find the right cat "out of the box". His choice is more wise. He's got cash!

To the OP: If I hear of one for sale in your price range, that meets your criteria, I'll pipe up. And you can keep the $500 and I'll take the cookies.

Cheers.
Paul.
Aloooha Paul!

You hit the nail on the head; and perhaps even worded my intentions more clearly and eloquently than I did. You were spot on.

Thank you for your support! Like you said, I'm simply trying to find a boat on the dock that someone knows.

Thank you very much for keeping your eye out! Hope to be baking you cookies soon! (and insisting you take the $500 that I'll have for you as well)

Big Mahalo and Much Aloha!
Jack
Old 23-08-2012, 00:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
Um the OP is funny. His posting is like....... I'm looking for a used car and I only have $1,000 but I'm only interested in less then 5 year old BMW/Audi with less then 10,000 miles. Dude get a reality check. If you aint got the cash try shopping within your budget range. Everyone wants a 40-50 Cat that has been recently re-fitted with all the latest. Your best bet is to spend some time walking the docks and eyeballing Craigslist like everyone does. And no I'm not interested in doing your homework for you.
Aloha dofthesea,

I do spend a lot of time online, and walking docks. One man can only walk so many docks. The purpose of this was to offer $500 so that people would look when walking down their own docks. Nearly 1,000 people have looked at this post. So I am virtually walking a lot of docks right now, and potentially finding boats that I haven't already seen online. I am not looking for a BMW or Audi of boats, and I mentioned in my post that I am open to a project boat.

Thank you for your time. Hope you spot a boat as we both look on craigslist.

Aloha,
Jack
Old 23-08-2012, 00:46   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Man, if you can get Imagines boat for around your budget then you should jump on it. It is the deal of the day, month, year. Forget all that stuff on your wish list. Remember, "All boats are compromises".

Or you could get a really nice tri.

Really dude this is the one.
Aloha Sand crab,

I have read several of your posts on this website. Thank you for your wisdom.

I know that "Imagine" is an amazing deal. I just dont feel that I can do the boat the justice that it deserves.

As for the tri, that is a possible plan C or D.

Thanks for your comments and ideas! I enjoy seeing your posts.

Take care, and Aloha!
Jack
Old 23-08-2012, 00:55   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
+ 1

Yes, i think it is a long shot, but may as well try. No one is being forced to search boat listings if they don't want to.

That said, I think the saildrive issue may be tough to get around. It it were me, I'd look at charter versions as they are cheaper. Remove toilet from one head and make into a bench for dedicated shower stall, and install sitting area and cabinets in 4th cabin on same side. Poof, now you have owners cabin.
Aloha Malbert 73

Thanks for you thoughts and input. You're ideas are great, and i may end up doing something like that, if I've exhausted all other possibilities. As for now, I'm hoping someone out there knows of a boat that is pretty close to what I'm looking for as it is now. Thanks for keeping your eyes out, and for the constructive ideas!

Aloha
Jack
Old 23-08-2012, 00:59   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Another +1 on Imagine.

It's a great boat. Sure you'll have to do some maintenance but maintenance is way easier on a properly built boat than one built to meet some charter company's budget. And, as you say, she'll be overflowing with karma. You'll probably never have to sail to windward

Carl
Aloha!

Yes, it is a great boat, and will be perfect for the right person. Unfortunately, I don't think that I could provide the money and time and TLC this beautiful boat deserves.

Thanks for reading the thread!!

Aloha!
Old 23-08-2012, 01:05   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I have to chime in as well about the saildrives, although I may just be aggravating the OP at this point. We have had a shaft drive boat, and now have a saildrive. I actually prefer the saildrive. They are well engineered, reliable, and efficient. The zinc needs replacing when you haulout - I, nor the previous owner have not had to do anything in the water. If you need to pull the engine for any reason, it is a simple affair - no shaft alignment to worry about. The prop is at the correct angle for efficient propulsion - you cannot say that of many prop setups.

If you were to take a poll of those that say the do not like saildrives, I would be interested to find out how many have actually owned one.

Chris
Aloha Chris,

Thank you for your input, it is not aggravating in the least. I really appreciate hearing the ideas and opinions of people out there doing it! I'll keep what you've said in mind when looking at potentials, as the sail drives may be one of the compromises that I have to opt for.

Aloha
Jack

Thank
Old 23-08-2012, 08:39   #43
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: $500.00 !! REWARD !! For Catamaran Under $120k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Another +1 on Imagine.

Carl

I just received this email from Melanie yesterday. My wife and I have our home sold, and should be liveaboards by wednesday next week. There was an estate sale last weekend, and the Salvation Army just picked up most of what was left.

In her email, you will see that Imagine still means very much to her, and that she supports John's feelings about why you might want to consider the "GO NOW" plan.

Considering the move that my wife and I are making, I really enjoyed this email from Melanie this morning.

Ralph and Bev,

Im soo happy for you guys! God works in his time and with this economy it really is difficult but look...your prayers are heard!
I can so remember when I have to consolidate my huge stuff to...smaller and smaller and smaller...stuff. Through the years I didnt know I was accumulating too much junk!! in the end, I realized I dont really need 50 pairs of shoes! The sailing life, simplified my life...one pair of good flip flops, one rubber shoes, and one dress shoes..and realized, whew life is too simple to make it complicated. Can you believe when I was in the house, I got 4 sets of different sets of cookware? non stick, stainless steel, cast-iron, aluminum..when I move in the boat..wham! those days are over! Im so excited for you guys. really. When the boat gets sold, I am pretty sure theres some stuff there that you might need such as charts and boating stuff...im sure John will be so happy that you could use it and other tools that might be of help on your voyage. The satellite phone is still with me, when the boat gets sold..as we promised, this goes backs to you. I have given almost John's stuff to the people in the island and I am hoping that this "prospect buyer" will come into play by first week of SEpt. and we could close a deal. I am eager to sell her but not desperate, I want her "Imagine" to be with the right owners. As those are part of my prayers. So I might fly there again before she gets sold and do the test drive and think about the good times we have with John..John wants me also to be happy and go on with my life. If the boat gets sold it will eliminate most of my stress from finances and free me from all the burden here.

Bev, you will surely enjoy the sailing community..It might not be as romantic as the magazines states but its fun to meet people all over the world..Panama, geez that place is really the melting pot. I did meet from parents carrying a new born baby on board to parents raising their kids onboard..to young people to old people circumnavigated the world, people that you read in the books you got to meet them, some crazy ones too..hahhaha. I would want to cross the canal again, perhaps next year on your boat..hahah who knows! If John was alive he really would have done the same thing but you know the hint there is that, we really need to do it now or never! the clock is ticking and tommorrow is not a promise, so let no misery, suffering, other peoples problems hinder us to do what we want out of our lives and robbed us from our happiness...so..go go go...so happy for you guys.

Congrats again...

Melanie

If anyone knows of someone looking for a big cat, please get them in touch with Melanie. It's clear that Imagine means much more to her than just dollars. I know we have the link posted in several places already, but here it is again - Sailing with Cancer- One Man's race against time!

Ralph
Old 23-08-2012, 10:19   #44

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I sent a PM, but think I should post here too.

I suggested he also look on M*U*L*T*I*H*U*L*L*S*4*U*S, which is a good place to submit the same thread.

Paul.
Old 23-08-2012, 10:32   #45

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quintana, do not speak of that which we are forbidden to speak of.
Amphibious, where are you?

Tags
catamaran