Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01   #1

5MileWIFI

5MileWIFI complete package for sale. $400.00 new. Asking $300.00 with free shipping.

Al Fink
Denver
303-377-1528
afink@q.com
Old 10-04-2012, 13:42   #2

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 351, 35'
Re: 5MileWIFI

What's the condition?? How old?? Brand or components??
Old 10-04-2012, 15:19   #3

Re: 5MileWIFI

The 5mile WIFI was bought as a complete package directly from the manufacturer about five years ago. I have the papers belonging to the unit aboard the boat which is on the hard some miles away. Can get them.

In response to a direct email question from another person on the Cruisers Forum concerning the WIFI and its efficacy, I sent this reply:

Dear Fellow Sailor:

A good, valid question. I simply didn't use the thing much. Actually had my first and good experience with it at Burning Man in the WIFI-less Nevada desert several years ago and it did bring in connectivity that others will better phones and laptops didn't get. I rigged a gizmo to be able to hoist it mostly up my 35' NorSea 27 mast and used it a few times in Dana Point (very bad reception due to the large cliffs surrounding the marina) and on a 8400' Colorado lake where I sail in the summers. It definitely does work. It pulls in signals which a phone or WFIF-enabled laptop won't get. I just can't quantify the better performance for you. Crapshoot? The reason I want to sell it is that I am about to move up from a POS semi-smart Tracfone to a real screecher, the iPhone 4Gs. I can tether that to my mini-Toshiba netbook for whatever I don't care to do on the iPhone itself. Seems a waste to have that investment in the 5Mile WIFI just sitting there unused.

It does capture connectivity beyond the normal range but exactly how much further out?

An anecdote. When I was ready to buy, I called the company and asked to speak to the inventor-boss. The employee said he'd have the guy call me. 30 minutes later and when he did he asked how I found the quality of his call. I said it was just fine. He then revealed that he was anchored about 4-5 kms. off of some Greek island and was bouncing through the WIFI of a huge hotel on shore.

I hope that helps.

Al
Denver