Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2008, 12:19   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
A Simpson for 55k?.....what length, year, etc etc?
Old 17-07-2008, 12:24   #17
jzk

How about this ketch:

1981 Bruce Roberts Seamaster Yachts Ketch Boat For Sale

This is not an "approved" Bruce Roberts design, however, but to me, it looks like quite the bang for the buck.
Old 17-07-2008, 13:18   #18
cruiser

Others have already spoken volumes as to suggestions. One thing to keep in mind is that you pay a premium for the conveniences of a catamaran. They will be much shorter LOA's for the same money as a larger mono.

At this point (close to purchase) you *should* have either gone "cats only" or "monos only", because they are so different.
Old 17-07-2008, 13:27   #19
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Others have already spoken volumes as to suggestions. One thing to keep in mind is that you pay a premium for the conveniences of a catamaran. They will be much shorter LOA's for the same money as a larger mono.

At this point (close to purchase) you *should* have either gone "cats only" or "monos only", because they are so different.
I struggle with this one also. My dream cat is a Leopard 47 for around $300k. But I see a 2000 Beneteau 505 (with generator and air) going to contract for $150,000. The Beneteau would be quite the awesome world cruising ride, and would leave an extra $150k in the kitty. Or, I could get a Leopard 38 for $225k with the air and genny. The cat is the preference, but who can argue with having the extra coin?
Old 17-07-2008, 13:39   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
jzk,

Get the smallest boat you'll feel comfortable in and save your money for cruising.
Old 17-07-2008, 13:44   #21
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
jzk,

Get the smallest boat you'll feel comfortable in and save your money for cruising.
Yes, I hear you. But, I am not going to be cruising alone. The wife much prefers catamarans (as I do). And, we have 4 kids to house. I need to at least try to make it comfortable for them. My 10 year old daughter is not exactly looking forward to giving up traditional highschool and the prom, etc. I am telling them that the world is a 20,000 page book of which they have only read a few pages. Once they see the other pages, they won't want to look back.

So, the least I can do is try to give one cabin for 2 kids rather than having them sleep in a convertable dinette, etc.
Old 17-07-2008, 16:44   #22

Pearsons are fine boats, but they weren't really built to be "ocean crossers" (sorry if I've offended anyone - many have circumnavigated). They are great for coastal and islands. Then again, with four kids it might be best to start there for a few years.

Here's a list that you may find useful. Many (including me) disagree with some of the comments but - on the whole - it's a good list.

Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction

Since your head is spinning you might also find it helpfull to hire an expert. Besides John Neal at the above link, Bob Perry offers consultation for a very reasonable price.

Robert H Perry Yachts Designers Inc. - CONSULTATION SERVICE

Carl
Old 17-07-2008, 17:01   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I struggle with this one also. My dream cat is a Leopard 47 for around $300k. But I see a 2000 Beneteau 505 (with generator and air) going to contract for $150,000. The Beneteau would be quite the awesome world cruising ride, and would leave an extra $150k in the kitty. Or, I could get a Leopard 38 for $225k with the air and genny. The cat is the preference, but who can argue with having the extra coin?
Have you stepped aboard the Leopard 38 yet, as well as the Beneteau 505? I would bet you would find they are a similar size inside (close, anyway). If you are torn between the two hull types, I would try and figure out what is more important (feature-wise) and decide once and for all between monos and multis. Then... you won't feel so torn and you can focus in more clearly without that extra thought nagging you.

So if you decide cat, go cat. If you decide mono, go mono. Getting caught in the middle is a very difficult spot to be when looking to make a purchase.

PS: I'd go Leopard 38 if I were in your shoes, but I made that mono-multi switch myself, so I'm admittedly biased. The Beneteau 50 is a fine boat though... you just have to pick one or the other and then look at prices of the type you choose. Saving money for cruising is a very good idea!
Old 17-07-2008, 17:02   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
For the price it's hard to beat those Pearson 42's. You get a lot for your money and they're fairly solid.
Old 17-07-2008, 18:12   #25
jzk

Or there is a Gulfstar 60 available that needs 50k of work that I bet can be had for 125k!

175 for a gulfstar 60. It would be tempting if it were near me and I had the time right now for a refit.

Don't know if I can just "decide" on the multi-mono question. I bet it will depend on what boat comes along when we are ready to pull the trigger. If money were no object, cat it would be hands down. But now what if the choice were Leopard 38 for 200k or Gulfstar 60 for 200k?
Old 17-07-2008, 18:22   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
. But now what if the choice were Leopard 38 for 200k or Gulfstar 60 for 200k?
What is the draft of the Gulfstar and where you gonna go?
How high do you want to climb?
Old 17-07-2008, 18:39   #27

Boat: Cabalier 40ft Long Range Cruiser
Where are you looking for boats and what do you want in a monohull or mutilhull in size and price. If your looking at boats you should come up to NC and look in oriental we have any kind of boat you can imagine
Right down the dock from me is a 53 gulfstar for sale in great shape, its a bluewater crusier, and a 45ft gulfstar both have been sailed alot but are in good shape.
both are in sailaway condition and around $180K
I dont know if anyone told you, but after you buy the boat, you still have to add all the nav equiptment and things you need to cruise, many boats dont have all those gadgets you need or many owners take them off..
we fixed the autopilot on our caliber lrc and had other things that passed the survey but needed to be updated, replaced or what ever..
Cruising is not cheap! at least not buying a boat or getting it ready..
I do suggest you look at oriental nc for boats and also anapolis you might find more boats to look at and go on and see, and also some better prices

Good luck
Kathleen
s/v Legacy
40 Caliber LRC
at port in oriental
Old 17-07-2008, 18:58   #28
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What is the draft of the Gulfstar and where you gonna go?
How high do you want to climb?
Gulfstar 6.6
Beneteau 505 5'11"
Leopard 38 - 3'7" - very nice.

Yes, one of the clear benefits to the Cat is the draft. The Beneteau is acceptable, and the Gulfstar hits the outer limits of an acceptable draft.

With regard to the navigation equipment, that is one thing I would want to pick myself and not just end up with whatever happens to be on the boat.
Old 17-07-2008, 18:59   #29
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasuehounds View Post
Where are you looking for boats?

Yachtworld.com
Old 17-07-2008, 19:51   #30

Okay, you forced me into it:

Asking $165K
Schucker 50 GOLDIE: Pilothouse Motorsailer for sale