Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2008, 16:13   #31

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
been out of town for a few days and away from internet access.

great suggestions. Heading to Annapolis on Wednesday to look at boats, and the husband and I will hit Oriental NC soon also.

Shannons, Piersons, and the Goldie all look interesting. Starting to wish we'd bought the Simpson before it went off the market.

A little quesy about 20 year old boats but don't have the $$ for the new ones.
Old 21-07-2008, 16:26   #32

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
There's nothing wrong with twenty year old boats. I have one. But I've had it since new so I have a handle on the little things that might make you queasy. At least I think I have a handle on it. Don't let the age of a boat deter you.
Old 21-07-2008, 16:36   #33

Boat: Cabalier 40ft Long Range Cruiser
First mate
Id look at insurance on an older boat so you know what your getting into.. There are some great boats out there, it is a buyers market as well, so you can probly get almost any single hull for a steal right now
oh forgot to tell you look at towndock.net it has some boats in classifed section you might find you could afford too

good luck
Kathleen
s/v legacy
oriental nc
Old 21-07-2008, 16:49   #34

Insuring an older boat is not a problem with a clean survey. We insure an older boat to an agreed upon value. Every one is happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasuehounds View Post
First mate
Id look at insurance on an older boat so you know what your getting into.. There are some great boats out there, it is a buyers market as well, so you can probly get almost any single hull for a steal right now
oh forgot to tell you look at towndock.net it has some boats in classifed section you might find you could afford too

good luck
Kathleen
s/v legacy
oriental nc
Old 30-07-2008, 16:47   #35

To all who have responded to date - thanks so much for your advice.

I'm not sure what we'll end up buying and living on; however, the process of finding the boat is becoming more fun.

Guess it's not a quick decision to invest our retirement nest egg in a circumnavigating ocean cruiser.

Looks like we'll be visiting Oriental NC - have already been to Annapolis.

All the links have been very helpful.

It's tough to answer the cat versus monohull question when $$ is a big part of the equation but the other part of the equation is shallow draft. Center boards help with monohulls but I'm told are an old design.

The sleek beautiful lines of monohulls are very enticing - art in motion.

Looks like it's going to be a while before we purchase while we get familiar with what is available.

Will post what we finally purchase.

To all - fair winds and following seas :=)

First Mate
Old 30-07-2008, 17:52   #36

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
First Mate:
We have a Catalina 42, 1989 three cabin which is for sale (moving up to a larger boat). Recent significant refit, custom canvas cockpit enclosure, low engine hours, freshwater boat (except last few months). I fear that our asking price will be a bit above your target, however. Contact us if interested.
Rocky and Lily
Old 30-07-2008, 17:57   #37

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I have decided that I may be moving up to a 65 footer and I might sell mine for about $55,000. The boat that I have my eye on is $175,000. I really hate to sell my boat because it is really all I would ever need and I have put so much hard work into it. But if I can figure out a way to get out of my vessel and get into a larger one, than I just might do it. I will tell you this, my vessel is fully found and ready for your cruising enjoyment. I have not even listed my boat yet and this other boat may sell before I sell mine, that may be a good thing. I may just be dreaming but anything is possible in my mind.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:11   #38

Boat: Looking with intent
There is a mono hull on Ebay that is in your area that is Ferrocement and going for a very low price right now (YES it needs work) but it a good point to start from if you want to put the rest of the money saved into setting the boat up the way you want. Look up Aquila De Mar on the e-bay site and you should see it. It is 54' over all with a good bit of space on her.

I have no economic interest in this boat other than if I was on that side of the Ocean i would be bidding on her.

Michael
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21   #39

ferrocement! eiyiyi!

I'm a structural engineer specializing in concrete, but even I hesitate at the thought of circumnavigating on one (isn't concrete better used to hold secure a mooring buoy?).

We had concrete canoe design contests in college at Univ of Texas, but I always thought those guys should have been more interested in how to crate a raw egg so it wouldn't break when dropped 20'.I tend to be a little stuffy and dull tho.

I will look at it. We've been open minded so far and that has led us to quite a few new horizons.

Thanks for the suggestion.

First Mate
Old 08-08-2008, 07:24   #40
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
I'm a structural engineer specializing in concrete, but even I hesitate at the thought of circumnavigating on one (isn't concrete better used to hold secure a mooring buoy?).
Concrete, like aluminum, steel, and fiberglass is heavier than water. However, just like aluminum, steel, and fiberglass, it makes a great boat building material.

The problem with concrete is that boats built with it are often homebuilt, so it might, initially, be difficult to inspect its quality.

However, the concrete boats out there that are "deals" are often many years old giving testament to its build quality.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44   #41

it aint heavy that bothers me - it's the brittle thing

I know I sound like an idiot being a structural engineer and being afraid of a concrete boat.

I actually designed a steel floating dock for a submarine about 20 years ago. I sailed past it a week ago and, by cracky, it's still floating. Steel is dang sure heavier than water.

I know ferro means steel fiber reinforced. It just seems like something that would start rusting and cracking and going to spit really quick.

However, I will withhold my judgement and look into it.

Meanwhile, I'll dye my blonde roots brown - they're starting to show again.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:48   #42
jzk

The concerns you raise are logical, but there sure do seem to be plenty of older ferro boats out there doing just fine. And, in that many share your concerns, quite a few of these boats are bought at a bargain price by people who have little money for maintenance, and, still, they do just fine.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:29   #43

for those of you close to Jacksonville, FL also looking for a liveaboard circumnavigator at a great price, check out Mariner Ketch 36 foot sailboat.

the pictures do this boat harm, not justice. saw it yesterday. if it weren't just a tad too small, I'd buy it for the $22K asking price. It's a truly stunning old classic liveaboard that is still functional but in need of serious tlc.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41   #44

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
First Mate, Don't forget to look at the Tayana 37! A proven Blue Water Boat.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:42   #45

Boat: Cabalier 40ft Long Range Cruiser
first mate, its a pretty boat alright. But for your needs I know it would be crampted
I have a 40ft long range cruiser and there is just two of us and two little dogs, and its some times confining , not to mention storage space is sparse after you get everthing on. So its not just living on and cooking and upkeep inside and out, its storage for food, essentals and clothing,extra sails, equiptment should you need repairs, tools and things to fix engine and stuff... .. also i do recommend with a family you look at sailboats with two heads as sharing one is very difficult the more people involved.. I found a shannon that is around $55.000 in oriental (40ft) i guess its quite nice and roomy, also consider a pacific sea craft they are motor sailers and super nice and roomy also
we looked at Irwins.. most of the boats we looked at were 40-46 ft long..
the prices were very high last yr but this year you can find some great deals
ihope you check out those boats all are very nice..I checked out yacht world, also looked at towndock.net our local newspaper there are alot of nice boats for sale
any one want an island packet there is one for sale resonable ($150 but its a 350)
just thought id mention it..but check out our classifieds and you might find soemthing nice there too..

Kathleen
s/v legacy
oriental.nc