Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 11:19   #46

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
First Mate, Don't forget to look at the Tayana 37! A proven Blue Water Boat.

thanks!

I looked at the Tayana 37 - it is not a shoal keel. My husband is very keen that 5' is the limit. A truly lovely boat as well.

as to all the in the next response after the Tayana suggestion, I guess we'll hit those too.

We may just get a used Catalina 38 cc shoal keel and call it a day. beautiful, sensible and spacious, I guess, but I wonder about its blue water capabilities.
Old 08-08-2008, 13:30   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Buying the boat itself is just the beginning of your expenses. Make sure you have enough pennies saved for all the other known and unpredictable expenses.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 08-08-2008, 13:40   #48

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
If you are looking for a "bluewater" off shore boat, well built for long distance cruising, a draft in the 3 to 5 foot range AND a $55K price range is going to be a tough find although not impossible. True offshore capable boats are going to be in the 6' draft range or something with a centerboard. Plan on looking for quite a while. So do you truly want a boat you can circumnavigate or are you looking for a Bahamas cruiser? Most watery places on the planet accommodate a deeper draft than the Bahamas or Floriduh.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 08-08-2008, 13:49   #49

Plan on looking for quite a while

a broker has about convinced me to buy a boat for coastal cruising as we plan to do just that for about 2 years, including live at a marina for about 6 months to a year while we finish working and retire completely.

He said when we are actually ready to make a passage, sell the coastal cruiser and then buy a passage making boat capable of hitting the Pacific for days without sight of land.

The passage makers are smaller and cramped with higher prices because of the stronger rigging etc.

I'm about to give in. However, somehow I fear the budget will really take it in the shorts as boats depreciate. Seems we should get the passage maker now.

The closest I've come to a boat of all trades is the Mariner 37, if I have it properly pegged. It's too small for a live aboard intended to entertain guests, so I guess it's really not a boat of all trades for us.

Some catamarans work, but they cost more than our budget.
Old 08-08-2008, 14:27   #50

Just a couple more for your list.
Valiant 37 Espirit
Brewer 42cc
Whitby 42cc
I think all can be had within your price range.

Old 08-08-2008, 15:03   #51

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I guess i am confused. Do you want a cruising boat or a dockaminium that you can entertain and take friends day sailing? These are entirely two different animals.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 09-08-2008, 08:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
a broker has about convinced me to buy a boat for coastal cruising as we plan to do just that for about 2 years, including live at a marina for about 6 months to a year while we finish working and retire completely.

He said when we are actually ready to make a passage, sell the coastal cruiser and then buy a passage making boat capable of hitting the Pacific for days without sight of land.

The passage makers are smaller and cramped with higher prices because of the stronger rigging etc.

I'm about to give in. However, somehow I fear the budget will really take it in the shorts as boats depreciate. Seems we should get the passage maker now.

The closest I've come to a boat of all trades is the Mariner 37, if I have it properly pegged. It's too small for a live aboard intended to entertain guests, so I guess it's really not a boat of all trades for us.

Some catamarans work, but they cost more than our budget.
In one respect your broker is right: since all boats are a compromise and since you are not yet ready to go voyaging, a coastal cruiser makes more sense right now. But a broker will always want you to buy a boat now rather than later.

There are so many coastal cruisers available here at bargain prices, you don't really need a broker as much as a very good surveyer if that's what you decide to do.

Depreciation of a coastal cruiser over the next few years is probably trivial, compared to maintenance, dockage, etc. So know that before you buy.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:42   #53

Boat: Cabalier 40ft Long Range Cruiser
First mate, brokers sell boats, they are salesman.. there are good ones and honest ones and then there are those who just sell boats. Besides the cost of the boat, the slip you need to lease (if you can find one without buying) and the repairs, upkeep, and trips you plan to take coastal crusiing, there are alot of expenses, make sure when you buy any boat, you make sure you can pay for all those expenses, dockage and upkeep are alot to pay for, when you want to sail away you also have to consider fuel and other marina costs unless you intend to ancor out alot
Dont be in a hurry to buy, and dont settle for one brokers opinon, there are alot of aspects to consider, esp what is the market going to be in 3-4 yrs for reselling your boat, right now buying a boat is a buyers market..you can get alot for little money
i suggest you shop more start a to do list on each boat, a list of what the boat is capable of and worry less for physical astectics like how pretty, and look for funtional saftey and a boat who fits your needs
the worst thing that can happen when you rush is you buy a boat that needs more work than was visible to an inspection, or naked eye, or survey, and then you spend tons more than you expect cutting into your crusiing budget.. Also to buy a boat that will have limited resale value, when you go from a coastal crusier with shallow draft think who is going to buy it, alot of people would rather get the blue water cruister pay the extra and then get it ready for the trip they intend on going on
lots to consider
again take your time, do your research on lists (world crusing is yahoo list that is good) and learn from those already living on boats, its a nice life but it can be horrible if your stuck in the wrong location, marina you dont like or on a boat with loads of little daily problems
remember there is always something to be done on a boat , you dont want to be stuck daily doing stuff to fix this that and everything it would cut into your daily routine and also make it tought to get out and sail at your leisure

just my take
Kathleen
s/v Legacy
Old 10-08-2008, 08:09   #54

thanks folks,

the voices of reason are indeed helpful.

We're getting a little numb driving all over the place and looking at these boats. It's surprising and irritating to us that there aren't that many boats in NE FL that seem to match our requirements based on our internet searches thus requiring us to spend gas $$ and energy driving so far.

Also, the asking prices on the eastern seaboard are not lower right now compared to Practical Sailor listed values, which is wearing on us as well. Bargaining like I'm a flea market really is not my idea of a good time, but I guess I can suck it up and persevere.

We got home after midnight last night, having driven 4 hours each way to look at used Whitby 42 cc 5' draft, Catalina Morgan 381 CC shoal keel and a Bristol 41 cc center board. Last weekend we drove 5.5 hours each way to look at a couple of older used boats that were uninspiring once we got there.

We have concerns about balsa cores of the hulls on the two passage makers above that we saw this weekend. I felt completely at home with the interiors and deck layout of both passage makers. I was impressed with the engine room, rigging and equipment on the Whitby, but reading a surveyor's public website review of it have concerns about how it is constructed with pop rivets and balsa core.

I guess this is just a longer process than anticipated. Will keep slogging.

Thanks for your help.

F.M.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:35   #55

FM, I don't know where you're getting your info on balsa core in the hulls of these boats. Most decks have marine plywood or balsa cores, but I'm very surprised to hear that someone is saying they have balsa in the hulls. And I'm even more surprised to hear someone criticizing the construction of a Whitby.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36   #56
Armchair Bucketeer

One "trick" I have used is to pretend I already own the boat! And then say to myself "What price would I feel comfortable of being able to sell "my" boat at, in her present condition?"......and then "am I comfortable with that (my) selling price, given the (my!) purchase price?".

Of course also requires finding a boat that fits
Old 10-08-2008, 08:45   #57

Boat: Cabalier 40ft Long Range Cruiser
First mate
were orginally from michigan. We found our boat in rock hall, maryland.. it was a long search! We spent over 1yr looking seriously, hundreds of air and land miles esp renting cars at airports and driving to the boats to see..
dont get discouraged.. it takes a long time to find the right boat, your boat is out there its a matter of finding it<G>

Kathleen
s/v legacy