Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 16:10   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: A most difficult decision.

How difficult to hear of your injury and the need to sell this beautiful boat. It even has a hot tub! Perhaps the accident might have made you a bit gun shy, given that you say this happened when the boat was not even moving. And since it occurred just 2 months ago, I'm with a65pilot and Sandero...it seems you could wait a little bit and see how things go, or enlist all those eager, young crew who are looking for adventure. If you feel you really have to sell it, even though fall and winter are the time when all the snow birds arrive in Florida, the spring and summer months are probably more conducive to boat shopping anyway, especially if you have that AC cranked on when they open the door.

All the best to you on your recovery!
Old 01-11-2015, 17:01   #17

Further to my thought... Really Jolly... keep the boat... get a young crew and hold on to the dream... No reason not to. Let the young one do the heavy lifting... You've done your bit... and you deserve your reward. Do not sell that boat!
Old 01-11-2015, 18:16   #18

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Again I thank everyone for your kind concern and advice. I’m beginning to feel guilty for all the attention.
In my heart I don’t think I want to sell the old tub, and I don’t need to for financial reasons or anything.
I just can’t see my wife and I being able to handle this 22 ton lump without me being 100%, especially in close quarters, like marinas.
There are also some things which still need fixing before we could go anywhere, crew or no crew. So how long is that going to take with my injury? I’ve been at it five year already.
I don’t expect to be inundated with buyers anyway. Most observers seem to be intimidated by the rig and assume it will take a crew of ten to run the ship.
As the boat is unique, it will take an unique person to see the value in it all.
I don’t know if there is a selling ‘season’ as such here in Florida. If there is it should be starting now, as the heat and humidity is dissipating daily. I bought her in December 2010 because I was ready to buy, not because of any seasonal considerations. In a month people will be heading for the Bahamas, and what better boat to go in.
I just wish I could be sure I would ever be on it. Time will tell.
Old 01-11-2015, 18:54   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Surgeons tend to provide pessimistic prognoses in order to manage patients' expectations. Four to six months is a more optimistic timeframe if that helps perspective.
This👍. It's called "laying crepe." Then when you recuperate in record time it is due to the surgeon's amazing skill.
Old 01-11-2015, 20:47   #20

Boat: William Garden Ketch

Jolly,

I just sent you a PM if you are interested we can talk.

Cheers

Mark
Old 02-11-2015, 09:46   #21

I’ve given considerable thought to what everyone has said, and I'm overwhelmed with the input and kind wishes.
Here’s a plan: whichever comes first:

(a) I will advertise Britannia for sale. We have become worn out with her, and this injury really has become a last straw. Whether it actually breaks the camel’s back remains to be seen.
She is a very unique boat, and it will take a unique buyer to appreciate her rig. So it might take a while to find that person.
If we do make a sale, we will do something we said we always would do, “When we quit sailing.” We will buy an RV and tour America. We can always buy another boat later if we want, even in another part of the country.

(b) If I don’t find a buyer before I am able to move about the boat like one needs to, we will then evaluate the possibility of handling her ourselves, or with help. I should know this by early in the new year, and maybe try for the Bahamas.

I can’t go back on board until I can at least hobble. Maybe a couple of weeks, maybe more. I’m doing my best at exercising my leg and foot, but it is obvious to me it will be a lengthy process. It was a horrendous break with the ball jutting out the side of my leg and my foot going the other way, with the bones broken in three places. If there are any young fella's out there planning to do this, do it when you are thirty, not seventy.

Could anyone please suggest names and places I could advertise her on the web? I’m way out of touch with this method, but I think I would only have to refer to my website, where all the photos and improvements speak for themselves. I can easily write a new home page, explaining the situation if necessary.

I can’t pre-judge any of this, so we’ll just have to see how it pans out.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:27   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

You could start with Yachtworld, that is where most people look first. And consider placing an ad in Craigslist in locations where there is a high density of sailors such as Virginia Eastern Shores ie Annapolis.

The bones will heal fine, nonunion is rare in that location. It is the soft parts such as ligaments that take a while, and wearing a gel stirrup splint will make your ankle very stable to walk on in a short while. This is not to say that you will be jogging any time soon. Heck if I had spent as much time and money on my boat as you have on your pirate ship I would even consider a peg leg.

I'm taking bets at 20 to 1 the ankle will be a relative nonissue in 12 weeks. Get a second opinion if your orthopedist says you cannot do your lifelong hobby, THAT might be dangerous to your health. He's probably just trying to keep you from trying to dunk a basketball by jumping off a chair in your driveway when you get off crutches.
Old 02-11-2015, 13:04   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, Jolly,

Sorry to hear about your fall. I sure hope Azul is right about the healing: when you are at the bone density losing time of life, it is scary to think they might not. However, if you have been physically active doing weight bearing stuff, walking, working, etc., and you are determined, you have the chance of surprising everyone with your recovery.

From what I learned following bilateral knee replacement revision surgery [at age 73] is that it is really important to keep your muscles working (via exercises), so that they don't atrophy while you have to be inactive.

Good luck with it all.

Ann
Old 02-11-2015, 13:09   #24

Oh man!

That's just terrible. Was anchored right next to you a couple weeks back when it was windy.

I can relate though. Boats sure make life a lot more difficult. Your RV plan sounds good to me. Travel is travel. That's what it's all about.

Best of luck with the sale and the next adventure
Old 02-11-2015, 13:13   #25

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Sorry about your fall. Keep a positive attitude and maybe you'll realize your dream after all.
Old 02-11-2015, 13:56   #26

Many a true word spoken in jest, Mr. Azul.
Believe it or not, I actually bought a type of peg leg, called a iWalk one leg crutch. I tried it for a few days but it was too early for me and hurt my leg. So I bought a knee scooter, which I’m still nipping about on. Picture attached.
I sincerely hope your confidence is correct on the healing process. I'm exercising all I can, pushing myself up stairs twice a day and lifting my dud leg as high as I can without help.
Naturally I know Yachtworld, I found my boat there, but I thought it was only for brokers? Is there a way to get in as an individual?
Old 02-11-2015, 14:23   #27

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

You look like a kid on that scooter. Can I get one of those at West Marine?

S/V B'Shert
Old 02-11-2015, 14:37   #28

You can have it, when I've finished with it in three weeks.
Old 02-11-2015, 14:39   #29

Boat: sabre 28

I just finished reading your article in GOB this morning.
Sorry to hear about your misfortunate accident.

Best of luck on your recovery!
Old 02-11-2015, 14:42   #30

Actually, on second thoughts, I might fit a motor to it and use it as the boat’s dock runabout. It breaks down really small.